Author Topic: Romney Says His Wife, Kids Want Him to Run for President  (Read 614 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney Says His Wife, Kids Want Him to Run for President
« on: June 30, 2016, 03:38:42 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=736436

Newsmax
Thursday, June 30, 2016 08:50 AM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Mitt Romney said Wednesday his family has been pushing him to jump into the race "late in the process" as an independent candidate, but he will not be mounting a bid.

"I got an email from one of my sons yesterday that said, 'You've got to get in, Dad. You've got to get in,'" the 2012 Republican nominee told CBS' John Dickerson in an interview at the Aspen Ideas Festival in Colorado, reports Politico.

Romney said his family started pushing late because they were "concerned about the direction of the nominating process in our party," but Donald Trump's lock on the nomination was one of the reasons he decided to stay out.

"I just don't think in good conscience that I'm the right person to run as long as there was a better alternative, who had a better chance of winning, rather," he told Dickerson. "And once the nomination was locked up I didn't see a chance of winning that was realistic."

Romney also said a presidential race would have been hard on his family, even though his wife and kids were pushing him to do it.

"It's hard on family," the former Massachusetts governor said. "It's hard on your spouse sitting there in debates just agonizing over what you're going to say next. Or what your kids have to go through. Or your grandkids go through," he said.

But Romney did admit that he has thought about mounting a race "from time to time," but he does not believe an independent candidate could win, and he does not like the idea of being a "spoiler" who is running in order to stop another candidate from winning.

He said he will still campaign for candidates who have views close to his own, but predicted that with the race going the way it is now, "it's very possible both nominees can implode in one way or another," but still, he does not believe a Trump nomination will destroy the Republican Party.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Romney Says His Wife, Kids Want Him to Run for President
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:40:53 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=736436

Newsmax
Thursday, June 30, 2016 08:50 AM

I want it on record. I called this repeatedly here and back on FR for 4 years.

HE AIN'T DONE.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:51:00 pm »
I want it on record. I called this repeatedly here and back on FR for 4 years.

HE AIN'T DONE.

He didn't say he was running -- he actually said he was not running.  He said his wife and kids wanted him to run, but that he doesn't believe an independent candidacy would win.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:52:08 pm »
I'd crawl on broken glass to vote for an honorable man, one worthy of the high office of the Presidency in November. Is Romney the most conservative candidate that can be the Trump alternative? No.  But there is no doubt Romney is Presidential and I think would serve the office with distinction, and would go down as one of the Great Presidents.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »
He didn't say he was running -- he actually said he was not running.  He said his wife and kids wanted him to run, but that he doesn't believe an independent candidacy would win.
I stand by my statement. He has a record of saying the exact opposite of what he eventually does and this is yet another in a long line of trial balloons to date by Romney himself and the GOP itself that 'put out there' the idea that he 'could' run again.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:02:49 pm »
I'd crawl on broken glass to vote for an honorable man, one worthy of the high office of the Presidency in November. Is Romney the most conservative candidate that can be the Trump alternative? No.  But there is no doubt Romney is Presidential and I think would serve the office with distinction, and would go down as one of the Great Presidents.

Profiting from the abortion laws he passed via Stericycle is not honorable nor presidential. It is raw evil.

Trashing every conservative he ever encountered is neither honorable nor presidential either. But that's Mitt.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:03:11 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 04:04:27 pm »
His wife and kids may be the only ones that want him to run.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
I stand by my statement. He has a record of saying the exact opposite of what he eventually does and this is yet another in a long line of trial balloons to date by Romney himself and the GOP itself that 'put out there' the idea that he 'could' run again.

Well, it's on record...

I just suspect you're going to wish it wasn't, because he ain't running.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:15:04 pm »
In 2012, I voted for Romney and had a lot of hopes he'd win and start turning back the progressivist tide in this country, but, aside from occasional flashes of assertiveness, he doesn't seem to have that fire-in-the-belly enthusiasm for victory.  He should've attacked Obama straight on 24-7, and only infrequently hit back when Obama started in with that class-warfare nonsense.

I met Romney on the ropeline, along with Ryan in Norfolk at the running-mate announcement.  I came away with the impression both men deeply cared about the direction of this country.  Though not without their faults, they would've nonetheless made a great team.

I could live with a Romney candidacy; I'd much rather see a more battle-tested conservative governor such as Scott Walker.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:19:31 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »
Well, it's on record...

I just suspect you're going to wish it wasn't, because he ain't running.

I have no issue admitting I'm wrong if he doesn't run. But I have followed this guy's actions closely since the great fail, along with those of the GOP.

They (GOP) will never go for Cruz and they don't want Trump. Not many alternatives left to pull a 'miracle' out of the bag with... If the convention is contested and the GOP is desperately trying to get rid of Trump.

Every '12 Romney voter will jump on board again. As will every congressman/Senator. The math just adds up IMO. He can be sold as a saner alternative to stop Clinton. He can even actually GET Bernie voters as he's pro abortion/gay.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 04:49:13 pm »

I completely agree,  NCD.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 04:51:02 pm »
His wife and kids may be the only ones that want him to run.

No,  I'd love to see him run, too.   I've had enough of this "lesser of two evils" crap.   I want to vote FOR someone. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide