Author Topic: Iowa Governor Branstad: Don't let Texas secede from U.S.  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Iowa Governor Branstad: Don't let Texas secede from U.S.
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »
Another graphic:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
That chart sure looks like it far more going out than going in.  Other sources show Texas receiving less dollar back for dollars sent to the Feds.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/united-states-federal-tax-dollars/

It pays to be able to read a chart, doesn't it?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »
That chart sure looks like it far more going out than going in.  Other sources show Texas receiving less dollar back for dollars sent to the Feds.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/united-states-federal-tax-dollars/

And to your article, yes Texas pays a lot in taxes because it has a lot of people. Lets see per capita rankings, bud.

geronl

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »
From these charts it seems New Jersey should be the one to secede, not Texas.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:30 pm »
And to your article, yes Texas pays a lot in taxes because it has a lot of people. Lets see per capita rankings, bud.

I'm puzzled as to why you want to beat up on Texas?  We get back $.94 for every $ we pay in.  And yes that falls in the middle of the field.  So what?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

geronl

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
I'm puzzled as to why you want to beat up on Texas?  We get back $.94 for every $ we pay in.  And yes that falls in the middle of the field.  So what?

We don't "get back" squat. The federal government spends it on federal government stuff and their pet projects, "we" get nothing. This is the kind of thing people use to keep us confused and squabbling.

Offline thackney

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 02:16:51 pm »
The graphic is from this article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

This is per dollar given to DC in taxes, meaning Texas gets back more than it gives. States on the lower end give way more than they get back.

From that article, they reference the source of the data: WalletHub.

The Wallet Hub analysts essentially asked how much each state receives back as a return on its federal income-tax investment.  They compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia on three metrics: 1) federal spending per capita compared with every dollar paid in federal income taxes; 2) the percentage of a state’s annual revenue that comes from federal funding; and 3) the number of federal employees per capita.  The third measure received only half the weight of each of the others in the calculation.

What the resulting map shows is that the most “dependent states,” as measured by the composite score, are Mississippi and New Mexico, each of which gets back about $3 in federal spending for every dollar they send to the federal treasury in taxes. Alabama and Louisiana are close behind.

If you look only at the first measure—how much the federal government spends per person in each state compared with the amount its citizens pay in federal income taxes—other states stand out, particularly South Carolina: The Palmetto State receives $7.87 back from Washington for every $1 its citizens pay in federal tax. This bar chart, made from Wallet Hub's data, reveals the sharp discrepancies among states on that measure.

The chart (from your above post #16) which follows this text, is only for the first measure and does not include all dollars.

If you follow your link to the WalletHub source of the data:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Go to the charts at the bottom of the page, it lists Texas with the other States least dependent on Federal Dollars.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 02:27:50 pm »
The graphic is from this article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

This is per dollar given to DC in taxes, meaning Texas gets back more than it gives. States on the lower end give way more than they get back.

Wrong. Texas is a donor state. We send more to the DC cartel than we get back.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:27 pm »
Those bases are on state owned land.  If Texas were to secede base closures and turnover of the property would be negitoated like we do with any other foreign country that we close military bases on.

Link?

Last time I checked we footed the bill for the Texas National Guard to go do what DHS was refusing to do.

Actually President Tyler came to us to work a deal.

They did that at the behest of Tyler.  He'd gotten wind of the Brits wanting to emancipate slaves in Texas and was trying to prevent it.

Pays to know your Texas history.

If we became the Republic of Texas again tomorrow we'd be one of IIRC the top 10 oil producing countries in the world.

The U.S. would suffer more from Texas leaving than Texas would suffer from parting ways with the U.S.

The poster you replied to is impervious to facts and truth.
Principles matter. Words matter.

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 02:38:29 pm »
From that article, they reference the source of the data: WalletHub.

The chart (from your above post #16) which follows this text, is only for the first measure and does not include all dollars.

If you follow your link to the WalletHub source of the data:
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Go to the charts at the bottom of the page, it lists Texas with the other States least dependent on Federal Dollars.

It ranks it as #29 from what I can see. Nothing special about Texas in that regard, it's right in the middle of the pack.

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »

It's about average in that regard, many states sacrifice much more and get so much less.

geronl

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2016, 02:41:11 pm »

We don't get it back, no state does.

You wouldn't say you 'got back' something from the money spent at Wal-Mart because they hired someone locally.

geronl

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2016, 02:42:23 pm »
It's about average in that regard, many states sacrifice much more and get so much less.

"Other states sacrifice much more..." Federal tax rates are higher in some states I guess.  :shrug:

Offline thackney

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2016, 02:43:47 pm »

I suggest they too make a stand against an Federal Government running away with their money and authority over local issues.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:53 pm »
"Other states sacrifice much more..." Federal tax rates are higher in some states I guess.  :shrug:

It could be looked at as a measure of the effectiveness of a state's representation.

Of course California suffers because we have two complete idiots as senators.

• Technical
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:50 pm »
I suggest they too make a stand against an Federal Government running away with their money and authority over local issues.

Texas gave us LBJ, probably the single worst president for that regard in our history.

Offline thackney

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »
Texas gave us LBJ, probably the single worst president for that regard in our history.

We agree he was a terrible president.  Long before my time here in Texas.

But a president from 50 years ago that is just another distraction from the topic.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 03:23:52 pm »
As an Iowan, I'm a little disappointed in you governor.
The Republic is lost.