Author Topic: Iowa Governor Branstad: Don't let Texas secede from U.S.  (Read 2873 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Iowa Governor Branstad: Don't let Texas secede from U.S.
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »
Texas shouldn't be allowed to secede from the United States, despite renewed debate over the issue following Britain's vote last week to withdraw from the European Union, says Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad.

"No, we are not the European Union. We are the United States of America and this is a unified country," Branstad told reporters Monday at his weekly news briefing. "But we are also a federalist system, and one of the concerns that a lot of people in Texas have, and a lot of people in Iowa have, is that the direction that this country has been going is that we are seeing the states’ rights being whittled away by the federal government, by actions of the administration and by the courts. And there is great concern among many states, including people throughout the United States, on that issue.”

Branstad said he recognizes that Texas has an interesting history in which the Lone Star state declared its independence from Mexico in 1836, forming the Republic of Texas. Texas was admitted to the Union in 1845. However, Texas citizens voted in a referendum in 1861 to secede from the Union during the Civil War.

After the so-called "Brexit" vote last week, supporters of secession in Texas have expressed renewed interest in leaving the Union, describing their push for "Texit," a combination of Texas and exit.

Branstad recalled the words of frontiersman Davy Crockett, a former member of Congress from Tennessee, who was known for his statement, "You can go to hell — I'm going to Texas." However, the governor then noted that Crockett was a defender at the Alamo, which led to his death.

"I don't know if that was a great decision on his part," Branstad added, chuckling.   http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/27/branstad-dont-let-texas-secede-us/86434008/

This guy does not appear much of a leader, not knowing that Texas secession was not done by a vote of its citizens, but by a state convention.

And his laughing at the death of brave defenders of the Alamo like Davy Crockett is just plain despicable.

I guess one becomes brain-dead after being a politician for over 40 years and not doing much anything else in life.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:31:35 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Iowa Governor Branstad: Don't let Texas secede from U.S.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:05 pm »
Chuckling over the death of the brave Texans fighting for freedom at the Alamo- how much lower could one sink?

I reject the notion that "we" are a unified country. "We" are a Union of Sovereign States and, as we saw with the European Union, what has been joined can be separated.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:51:38 pm »
Chuckling over the death of the brave Texans fighting for freedom at the Alamo- how much lower could one sink?

I reject the notion that "we" are a unified country. "We" are a Union of Sovereign States and, as we saw with the European Union, what has been joined can be separated.

One could hope that we are still a union, but reality might argue the contrary.  But the foundation of that union is the Constitution, which was intended to prevent the union from becoming a tyranny.  If the Constitution is in shambles, then the union is already dissolved.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »

"We" are a Union of Sovereign States "

Point me to the section of the constitution that states that please.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »
I find it somewhat interesting that the meme of "Texit" seems to be spreading around. Not quite viral yet, but still, for it to be well-known enough for an Iowa newspaper to ask the Iowa governor about it shows that it has some legs, so to speak.

I wonder if the thought of breaking away from the Union has a broader appeal to people than is first apparent...   :pondering:

This Edit was not found.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:57:26 pm by Bear_in_RoseBear »
Let it burn.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:01:34 am »

Yet another of the causes which impel us to separation.
James 1:20

Offline austingirl

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 12:08:45 am »
One could hope that we are still a union, but reality might argue the contrary.  But the foundation of that union is the Constitution, which was intended to prevent the union from becoming a tyranny.  If the Constitution is in shambles, then the union is already dissolved.

The Uniparty with their unfathomable greed and decades-long careers as "public servants" who exempt themselves from laws they pass for us, the abuse of power by the executive branch and the legislation by the SC have effectively destroyed our Republic. The Union is indeed dissolved. And what the ruling class has in store for us is more of the same and worse.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 12:20:19 am »
Of course he and many other states don't want Texas to secede. Where else would Uncle Sugar get money to freely pay for freebies in their states? At some point the cookie jar will go empty.

And as far as some low life farm boy desecrating the honor of those who fought at the Alamo, F&$! 'em.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:22:07 am by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 12:30:05 am »
If the Constitution is in shambles, then the union is already dissolved.

The Constitution is already irrelevant.  We are a post-Constitutional system emerging into an outright top-down tyranny.

As such, the "union" as it were - no longer exists.  To the Statists at Mordor on the Potomac, the idea of Federalism is irrelevant and there is only one central government that should control everything.. The Sovereign state issue is in all practicality - dead and non-existent, as is individual liberty.  Everything must serve the state.

As I have said since 2014 - this government no longer has any legitimate moral authority over a righteous people.    It has unkinged itself in the tyrant as Mayhew argued at the onset of the idea of independence from the Crown.

All this tyranny now ruling us has, is guns that their agents will put to your heads to force compliance with whatever they say you must do in the name of whatever law they decree.

And the majority of your countrymen call that freedom as we are slowly being turned into North Korea.

It is past time to ignore them.  To defy them.  To resist them.

Texit is the wisest choice a people who want to remain free will have in the very near future.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline austingirl

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:07 am »
The Constitution is already irrelevant.  We are a post-Constitutional system emerging into an outright top-down tyranny.

As such, the "union" as it were - no longer exists.  To the Statists at Mordor on the Potomac, the idea of Federalism is irrelevant and there is only one central government that should control everything.. The Sovereign state issue is in all practicality - dead and non-existent, as is individual liberty.  Everything must serve the state.

As I have said since 2014 - this government no longer has any legitimate moral authority over a righteous people.    It has unkinged itself in the tyrant as Mayhew argued at the onset of the idea of independence from the Crown.

All this tyranny now ruling us has, is guns that their agents will put to your heads to force compliance with whatever they say you must do in the name of whatever law they decree.

And the majority of your countrymen call that freedom as we are slowly being turned into North Korea.

It is past time to ignore them.  To defy them.  To resist them.

Texit is the wisest choice a people who want to remain free will have in the very near future.

Well said.  :amen:

geronl

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 01:04:04 am »
He wants to force Texans to keep subsidizing his ethanol!

geronl

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:05:11 am »

The federal government has abrogated the union in all but name, and the states should be free to go it alone or reform a new union (or two...)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:06:56 am »
Texas is on Uncle Sam's dole with all of those military bases; hardly anywhere gets as much federal funding per border enforcement as well.

Texas begged to become part of the Union and then, became a slave state, so maybe they can do some good but as a minority majority state, I doubt this would ever fly.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:07:51 am »

Enslaving human beings made in God's image is pretty low as well.  That was one of the first things done in the Texas Constitution. Just as long as people are bringing up history.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 01:11:21 am »
I find it somewhat interesting that the meme of "Texit" seems to be spreading around. Not quite viral yet, but still, for it to be well-known enough for an Iowa newspaper to ask the Iowa governor about it shows that it has some legs, so to speak.

I wonder if the thought of breaking away from the Union has a broader appeal to people than is first apparent...   :pondering:

This Edit was not found.

Good point, he might be trying to restrain his own citizens from considering the same. I note was initially elected governor in 1983.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 01:13:08 am »
Enslaving human beings made in God's image is pretty low as well.  That was one of the first things done in the Texas Constitution. Just as long as people are bringing up history.

Another attempted hijack from a one dimensional person.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 08:33:58 am »
Texans viewpoints of themselves is pretty laughable:

Right smack in the middle of taxpayer returns on taxpayer outlays.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 09:01:30 am »
The writer as well as the Governor don't seem to understand the reason there is talk of this in Texas is that because until the mid 20th Century...the Texas Constitution still had the right reserved for Texas to become it's own country again.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:52 am »
Texas is on Uncle Sam's dole with all of those military bases;

Those bases are on state owned land.  If Texas were to secede base closures and turnover of the property would be negitoated like we do with any other foreign country that we close military bases on.

hardly anywhere gets as much federal funding per border enforcement as well.

Link?

Last time I checked we footed the bill for the Texas National Guard to go do what DHS was refusing to do.

Texas begged to become part of the Union and then,

Actually President Tyler came to us to work a deal.

became a slave state,

They did that at the behest of Tyler.  He'd gotten wind of the Brits wanting to emancipate slaves in Texas and was trying to prevent it.

Pays to know your Texas history.

so maybe they can do some good but as a minority majority state, I doubt this would ever fly.

If we became the Republic of Texas again tomorrow we'd be one of IIRC the top 10 oil producing countries in the world.

The U.S. would suffer more from Texas leaving than Texas would suffer from parting ways with the U.S.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:42 am »
This guy does not appear much of a leader, not knowing that Texas secession was not done by a vote of its citizens, but by a state convention.

And his laughing at the death of brave defenders of the Alamo like Davy Crockett is just plain despicable.

I guess one becomes brain-dead after being a politician for over 40 years and not doing much anything else in life.
This puke, whose son is/was a lobbyist for the ethanol industry, is the one who said Cruz 'must be defeated, whatever it takes' because Cruz would have removed a Federal MANDATE to blend ethanol with gasoline and let the ethanol fuel industry sink or swim on its own merits.
(That mandate isn't for a percentage of fuel at a percentage of ethanol, but for a number of gallons of ethanol to be blended into whatever gasoline is sold that year. At present EPA mandate levels, that amounts to a percentage nearing the 10% 'blend wall', beyond which small engines, outboard motors, generators, and older vehicle (car/truck/motorcycle/farm implement/construction equipment) engines suffer fuel system damage, although some do now at lower ethanol levels.)

Maybe he is fine with states' rights so long as his sacred cow gets fed, but he is not beyond using the Federal Government to mandate it. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:29:38 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 12:48:45 pm »
Texas is on Uncle Sam's dole with all of those military bases; hardly anywhere gets as much federal funding per border enforcement as well.

Texas receives less dollars from the Feds than it sends to the Feds.  We are not on the dole, we are paying for others dole.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/united-states-federal-tax-dollars/

Texas begged to become part of the Union and then, became a slave state, so maybe they can do some good but as a minority majority state, I doubt this would ever fly.

Stop trying to hijack #Texit threads with rehashing the civil war.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:06 pm »
Texans viewpoints of themselves is pretty laughable:

Right smack in the middle of taxpayer returns on taxpayer outlays.

That chart sure looks like it far more going out than going in.  Other sources show Texas receiving less dollar back for dollars sent to the Feds.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:56:19 pm »

It's all about Ted Cruz, donchaknow....
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 01:35:07 pm »

I believe it is still jealousy or fear guiding the ones who divert.  I also notice they never take up launching their own thread on the subject either.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
That chart sure looks like it far more going out than going in.  Other sources show Texas receiving less dollar back for dollars sent to the Feds.

The graphic is from this article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

This is per dollar given to DC in taxes, meaning Texas gets back more than it gives. States on the lower end give way more than they get back.