Author Topic: Journey's End (Why a mother had to visit the place her son died)  (Read 356 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The newsfeed is "Journey's End', when one goes to the story:

Why a mother had to visit the place her son died

They scatter 179 poppies - one for every serviceman and woman killed in Iraq, looking so British in this alien and dangerous place.

A mother, her blonde hair covered by a white scarf, holding the hand of a father in a blue shirt and sensible shoes as they stand on a dirt road in a slum in Basra, Iraq.

"I just wanted to see where Matthew took his last breath," says Maureen Bacon, "to try and make sense of it all."

"Soldiers put their lives on the line," her husband Roger tells me. "You know that, but it doesn't lessen the grief."

Matthew, the Bacons' son, was a major in the Intelligence Corps. He was killed in this desolate spot in 2005 when his army patrol was targeted by a roadside bomb. Maureen and Roger have waited 11 years to visit the place where Matthew died, to lay a small cross and to try to understand why their son died here.

"It's a rite of passage in a way," says Roger.

They had both been against the war from the start, but knowing Matthew was a professional soldier whose life was military service his parents accepted the risks. But like many families who lost loved ones they want to know if they were told the truth about why the nation went to war here.

For me this trip is the culmination of 14 years of reporting for Panorama from Iraq - a chance to re-visit Basra to assess what went wrong ahead of Sir John Chilcot's Iraq Inquiry, which will report next week.

I was with British troops when they entered Basra in 2003, as they fought a losing battle and when they pulled out after six years of war. The inquiry is expected to tell us all why the nation went to war, who was responsible for the mistakes that were made and what lessons should be learned.

Just a few days after the British took Basra I found poor families squatting in the pink stucco mansion of the governor here - Saddam Hussein's cousin who had just fled the city. Nicknamed Chemical Ali for masterminding the killing of thousands of Iraqis with poison gas, he had become the symbol of the brutal regime. A small crowd outside the mansion burst into applause when they saw me with British troops. "We want to thank Tony Blair," a woman told me.

Read More At: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36586972