Author Topic: Standoff! Obama refuses to answer Benghazi committee’s questions: I don’t take demands from Congress  (Read 497 times)

rangerrebew

Standoff! Obama refuses to answer Benghazi committee’s questions: I don’t take demands from Congress
June 28, 2016 | Michael Dorstewitz | Print Article

The House Select Committee on Benghazi is up in arms on the issue of whether President Obama should answer questions about the White House’s reaction to the 2012 terror attack that took four American lives.

“When they asked the president if he was willing to answer questions about what happened that evening, he was advised by his counsel at the White House not to answer what he was doing because of the separation of powers issue,” Fox News Channel’s chief intelligence correspondent Catherine Herridge reported.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/06/28/standoff-obama-refuses-to-answer-benghazi-committees-questions-i-dont-take-demands-from-congress-357950#ixzz4CzAwceqf

READ MORE

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Standoff! Obama refuses to answer Benghazi committee’s questions: I don’t take demands from Congress

The House Select Committee on Benghazi is up in arms on the issue of whether President Obama should answer questions about the White House’s reaction to the 2012 terror attack that took four American lives.

“When they asked the president if he was willing to answer questions about what happened that evening, he was advised by his counsel at the White House not to answer what he was doing because of the separation of powers issue,” Fox News Channel’s chief intelligence correspondent Catherine Herridge reported.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/06/28/standoff-obama-refuses-to-answer-benghazi-committees-questions-i-dont-take-demands-from-congress-357950#ixzz4CzAwceqf

READ MORE

He can damn sure be impeached if the Congress were patriotic and followed the Constitution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
He can damn sure be impeached if the Congress were patriotic and followed the Constitution.

He should have been impeached for his abuse of power and treasonous statements while overseas long, long ago. The National Government would not act. **nononono*
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RedHead

Whether or not Obama can be impeached would depend on what the committee found out.  But Constitutionally the Senate has no more power to demand that the President answer their questions than the President has to demand the Senate answer his.

Offline OldSaltUSN

RedHead is correct.

Impeachment is an investigatory process by the entire body of Congress.  Congress has the power of subpoena, but I'm not sure if they can enforce it against Administration members covered under self-declared executive privilege.  That issue would be adjudicated by the USSG one item at a time.  Without the power of subpoena and prosecution to convince lower order players to testify, and testify truthfully, the impeachment would be useless.  Obama could also simply extend executive privilege to every person that Congress called, and it'd be the law of Omertà versus democracy. 

However, the impeachment can be referred to the Senate at any time for deliberation and confirmation, at which time the President would be considered "Impeached" and removed from office.

The process is so unbelievably difficult, regardless of cause and evidence, that the GOP has simply given up any pretense at oversight.  The USA truly has it's first imperial President, totally untouchable.  We all know that.

Most importantly, Obama figured that out long before he ran for President.  He knew the limitations of Congressional oversight over the office, and pressed it to maximum advantage.  Ultimately, unless the electorate pushes it's representatives and Senators to impeach, there's no teeth in the process.

Until Obama, Presidents considered the decorum of the office, and strode carefully when they pushed the Constitutional boundaries of the office.   Obama just never gave a damn.  When you get a 60's (or in this case, post 60") communist radical in the White house, it's all over, Constitutionally speaking.  Ditto, for any fascist, such as one who declares that military officers "will obey my orders - they will obey", in reference to illegal orders.

That is why I see Hillary and Obama as no greater threat than Trump.   The republic is screwed either way, when there are Constitutional constraints on the office of the Presidency, and authoritarians take control.

We all blog and huff and shout and get all angry about this stuff.   In reality, it's too late.  The USA will never be what it once was short of a bloody revolution (e.g. 1860.V2), because authoritarians never surrender power.  They take it, hold it, and never relent.

Offline skeeter

READ MORE

Obama, concerned about Separation of Powers.

What a sense of humor the guy has.

As long as congress stands by & lets the bastard cherry pick and make a mockery of the Constitutional system he'll do it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:50:09 pm by skeeter »

rangerrebew

And if the repugnantcans had a spine as a party -  which they don't. :nometalk: