Author Topic: Bid to buy for-profit college by former Obama insiders raises questions  (Read 658 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/former-obama-insiders-seek-administrations-blessing-of-for-profit-college-takeover-224917

Bid to buy for-profit college by former Obama insiders raises questions

'There is at least a taste of unseemliness involved in this,' a former top education official said.

By Michael Stratford and Kimberly Hefling

06/29/16 05:23 AM EDT

As the Obama administration cracks down on for-profit colleges, three former officials working on behalf of an investment firm run by President Barack Obama’s best friend have staged a behind-the-scenes campaign to get the Education Department to green-light a purchase of the biggest for-profit of them all — the University of Phoenix.

The investors include a private equity firm founded and run by longtime Obama friend Marty Nesbitt and former Deputy Education Secretary Tony Miller. The firm, Chicago-based Vistria Group, has mounted a charm offensive on Capitol Hill to talk up the proposed sale of the troubled for-profit education giant, which receives more than $2 billion a year in taxpayer money but is under investigation by three state attorneys general and the FTC.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/former-obama-insiders-seek-administrations-blessing-of-for-profit-college-takeover-224917#ixzz4Czdp8FEb

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I guess my know-it-all Niece is about to find out how swell it is to work for commies.  She teaches at UoP.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

University of Pheonix seems like a big scam.

I think the colleges should pay back the student loans.

You think you are taking some kind of business course and you are given classes about diversity and the environment instead.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

You think you are taking some kind of business course and you are given classes about diversity and the environment instead.

University of Phoenix is not that way, but it soon will be if this crap goes through.  They've been strictly business, which is why they've been doing better than the others.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Students from UOPX owe the federal government $35 billion in unpaid student loans.

The "university" has a dismal graduation rate. Combining those two facts, indicates it is mainly a scheme for profits.

Enrollment has declined by an amazing amount. It now loses, not makes money.

Like many things in our society, perhaps a breakup would be a viable solution. Get small, and get smart.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Students from UOPX owe the federal government $35 billion in unpaid student loans.

The "university" has a dismal graduation rate. Combining those two facts, indicates it is mainly a scheme for profits.

Enrollment has declined by an amazing amount. It now loses, not makes money.

Like many things in our society, perhaps a breakup would be a viable solution. Get small, and get smart.

@geronl I stand corrected about UoP.  They used to be "good", but I guess not any more.  That Niece, BTW, told me yesterday she's decided the 2nd Amendment has to go.  I told her with her thinking she also needs to get rid of the 1st and 5th as well.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Every business program is that way now. Mine in the late 90s was like that. UOP isn't a scam, I have a lot of employees using them and the curriculum seems sound if not harder than state institutions. Much better alternative for many professionals than traditional programs.