Author Topic: A Shrinking God  (Read 829 times)

Silver Pines

A Shrinking God
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »
By David Jeffers

"In the past week it has become abundantly clear that the American church is in a state of panic. We are panicking about the outcome of an election that is still over four months away. We are making predictions as though we have eyes into the future. The sad part of all this is these predictions of doom and gloom are the same ones I’ve heard in the last eight years. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Oswald Chamber once wrote that fear is calculating without God. For some reason, Christians cannot imagine God intervening into the affairs of man, including our elections. It is sad that of all the Founding Fathers who were Christians, it took a non-believer in Benjamin Franklin to remind them of a sovereign God:"...

Read more at:  http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4a417a9785fe8cba73e9dcf01&id=2eb79de90b

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: A Shrinking God
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:30:26 pm »
Good post, thank you.  :beer:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:30:45 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 03:50:38 pm »
Good post, thank you.  :beer:

You're welcome, EC.  I stumbled across that article two days ago and I was blown away...he put my own thoughts into words much better than I ever could.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:07:52 pm »
I'll admit - I clicked it because the title PO'd me. The article - no, call it the lesson, as that is what it is - was a pleasant surprise.  :laugh:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 04:23:45 pm »
Very uplifiting message and something I was much in need of as our Independence Day approaches. Thanks!
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:35 pm »
I'll admit - I clicked it because the title PO'd me. The article - no, call it the lesson, as that is what it is - was a pleasant surprise.  :laugh:

LOL

That was my initial response, too, but since I found the link to the article on Steve Deace's twitter feed, I should have known better.

Silver Pines

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:18 pm »
Very uplifiting message and something I was much in need of as our Independence Day approaches. Thanks!

You're welcome!  I think the article is a valuable assurance that we don't need to, nor should we, base our vote on fear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »
This society has rejected God, and when that happens, there is no escaping His wrath.

This belief that "God's going to protect us, everything's gonna be all right" conveniently forgets how many martyrs there have been in His name, first and foremost Jesus Christ himself. If you love this country, you had better be afraid of what is happening to it, because this nation has no intention of repenting any time soon—and we'll be caught in the crossfire, as God sits on his proverbial hands, doing nothing.

The only way to stop it is moral revolution. Nothing else will save it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:03:14 pm »
This society has rejected God, and when that happens, there is no escaping His wrath.

This belief that "God's going to protect us, everything's gonna be all right" conveniently forgets how many martyrs there have been in His name, first and foremost Jesus Christ himself. If you love this country, you had better be afraid of what is happening to it, because this nation has no intention of repenting any time soon—and we'll be caught in the crossfire, as God sits on his proverbial hands, doing nothing.

The only way to stop it is moral revolution. Nothing else will save it.

You make very good points.  I admit that nowadays when I hear someone say "God bless America", I think, "Why would He?"  IMO "God forgive America" is more appropriate.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 06:13:37 pm »
Why wouldn't He? Dude's patient.

It's a touch arrogant thinking that the country is so far gone God should damn it, no?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:18 pm »
For some reason, Christians cannot imagine God intervening into the affairs of man, including our elections.

I can imagine it.  And I have to say, the idea is a bit scary....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 06:31:21 pm »
While I agree with him, the flip side is that there are consequences to a nation and it's people for stupid actions. While we shouldn't fear, we also need to gird ourselves for what we are going to reap as a result of the stupidity and corruption of those who voted for stupid and corrupt leadership.
The Republic is lost.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 06:50:44 pm »
All I need to know is that God is not mocked; nor can innocent blood be shed without consequence.

http://www.numberofabortions.com/

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 06:50:51 pm »
Why wouldn't He? Dude's patient.

It's a touch arrogant thinking that the country is so far gone God should damn it, no?

I don't think so.  He's slow to anger, but at some point even His patience runs out.  The country's a moral sewer, and I think Trump is a major symptom of that.

Silver Pines

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:07 pm »
While I agree with him, the flip side is that there are consequences to a nation and it's people for stupid actions. While we shouldn't fear, we also need to gird ourselves for what we are going to reap as a result of the stupidity and corruption of those who voted for stupid and corrupt leadership.

I completely agree with you.  No matter how the election turns out, it isn't going to be pleasant.

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »
All I need to know is that God is not mocked; nor can innocent blood be shed without consequence.

http://www.numberofabortions.com/

Just in the time it took me to scan those categories, 40 abortions were completed worldwide. 

Abel's blood cried out to God from the ground, and He had His vengeance.  I wonder how He might avenge millions and millions of babies.

HonestJohn

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:24 pm »
The founding fathers were Freemasons.  And by that, they were Deists, in which they recognized a Supreme Power in the universe, but did not claim to know whether it was Christian.

And that negates the basic premise of this article.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 11:05:16 pm »
The founding fathers were Freemasons.  And by that, they were Deists, in which they recognized a Supreme Power in the universe, but did not claim to know whether it was Christian.

Disagree.  I'm no expert on modern--or otherwise--Freeemasonry, but there are those who claim that it has changed significantly since the days of the Founders.  David Barton has written a book on the subject. 

The premise of the article is that many of our Founders were Christians, and I've found nothing to contradict it.  But more importantly, the point of the article is that we need not and should not make political decisions based on fear.  We can always use a reminder of that.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 04:59:25 am »

Actually HJ, only a few were suspected deists. Of the Constitutional framers, most were Episcopalians, Congregationalists, or Presbyterian, with a few Lutheran, Methodist, Dutch Reformed, Roman Catholic, and Quaker, thrown in. Similar makeup for the signers of the DOI.

They may have been Freemasons, but most weren't Deists, or at least professed to be.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:00:16 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.