Author Topic: U.S. Supreme Court Guts Fourth Amendment, Sanctions Police Fishing Expeditions, Giving Police More Leeway to Stop, Arrest and Search Citizens  (Read 242 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. Supreme Court Guts Fourth Amendment, Sanctions Police Fishing Expeditions, Giving Police More Leeway to Stop, Arrest and Search Citizens

John Whitehead — July 1, 2016

WASHINGTON, DC — In a 5-3 ruling in Utah v. Strieff, the U.S. Supreme Court has opened the door for police to stop, arrest and search citizens without reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

In a blistering dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor blasted the court for holding “that the discovery of a warrant for an unpaid parking ticket will forgive a police officer’s violation of your Fourth Amendment rights.” Sotomayor further warned, “[t]his case allows the police to stop you on the street, demand your identification, and check it for outstanding traffic warrants—even if you are doing nothing wrong… So long as the target is one of the many millions of people in this country with an outstanding arrest warrant, anything the officer finds in a search is fair game for use in a criminal prosecution. The officer’s incentive to violate the Constitution thus increases: From here on, he sees potential advantage in stopping individuals without reasonable suspicion—exactly the temptation the exclusionary rule is supposed to remove.”

http://freedomoutpost.com/u-s-supreme-court-guts-fourth-amendment-sanctions-police-fishing-expeditions-giving-police-more-leeway-to-stop-arrest-and-search-citizens/

READ MORE
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:51:12 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

If Sotomayor has her boobs in a lather over the decision, I can't help but think there is something very good about it. :tongue2:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I can't believe I agree with Sotomayor on something.