Author Topic: Ted Cruz slides in poll, leaving Greg Abbott king of the Texas GOP  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Ted Cruz slides in poll, leaving Greg Abbott king of the Texas GOP
By Jonathan Tilove - American-Statesman Staff  Updated: 5:55 p.m. Monday, June 27, 2016 

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz’s poll numbers have slid in the aftermath of his unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination for president, according to the new University of Texas/Texas Politics Project poll released Monday, leaving Gov. Greg Abbott far and away the most popular Republican in the state.

Abbott has an 11 percentage-point approval margin among the general electorate — calculated by taking those who like what he’s doing minus those who don’t — and a 65 percentage-point net approval rating among Republicans. Cruz has a 39-point net approval margin among Republicans, but, among the broader electorate, he has an approval margin of -18 points.

That’s the biggest deficit for the big-name Republicans the Texas Politics Project named in the survey.

[More]

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/cruz-slides-in-poll-leaving-abbott-undisputed-king/nrnwH/

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline skeeter

Re: Ted Cruz slides in poll, leaving Greg Abbott king of the Texas GOP
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:54:12 am »
Fascinating.

A casual observer might conclude that Trump fanboys hate Ted Cruz more than they hate Hillary Clinton.

Why would someone who haunts conservative news forums hate a man with such stellar conservative credentials? The world wonders.

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:08:01 am »
Fascinating.

A casual observer might conclude that Trump fanboys hate Ted Cruz more than they hate Hillary Clinton.

Why would someone who haunts conservative news forums hate a man with such stellar conservative credentials? The world wonders.

If you are going to hitch your principles to Trump, you have to hate Cruz, there's little middle ground.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:21:11 pm by DB »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:19:06 am »
Fascinating.

Do you recall seeing any discussion of why homosexuals hate Christians so much?  Some surmise that the hatred stems from them knowing that their choices are detrimental to them and don't like that there are Christians in the world that remind them of that.  Could this be along the same lines?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:22:03 am »
Fascinating.

Scorched Earth politics. It is not enough for Trump to defeat Cruz; unless Cruz submits and endorses Trump, the attacks will continue. Trump's supporters see Cruz as the reason they're not getting the party unity they expected. They honestly believe they can force party unity this way.

In their minds, it can't possibly be that their candidate is a hopelessly disgusting cretin of a breed far beyond even your typical Washington politician. Instead, the Trump caucus must find a scapegoat, someone their "enemy" admires—and destroy them until they submit.

It is this very approach that makes Trump unfit for office.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 01:25:52 am »
Trump leads Clinton by 7 points in Texas.

I guarantee you Cruz will beat whatever Democrat decides to challenge him for Senate in 2018 by twice that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DrewsDad

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:22 am »
Cruz is polarizing because he is an outspoken conservative.  You probably have a few Trump worshippers that think Cruz's father shot JFK now.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz — -18(ALL) / +39(Republicans)
John Cornyn — -11(ALL) / +19(Republicans)
"Vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution."
- Cruz - The Consistent Constitutional Conservative

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 03:02:10 am »
Mechanicos citing polls again?  Right after telling us that polls were garbage?  Classic!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

geronl

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:12 am »

Their candidate has tons more in common with Hillary than with Ted. Much more.

geronl

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 07:36:39 am »
You probably have a few Trump worshippers that think Cruz's father shot JFK now.

Some are still using the "He could be the Zodiac killer" attack... insane. Those attacks started before Ted was born and ended when he was a few years old and half a continent away.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:27:21 pm »
Do you recall seeing any discussion of why homosexuals hate Christians so much?  Some surmise that the hatred stems from them knowing that their choices are detrimental to them and don't like that there are Christians in the world that remind them of that.  Could this be along the same lines?

As long as Cruz remains a credible figure in politics he'll remain a great big source of potential embarrassment to them and a reminder of how they actively blew what probably was the last opportunity for a return to the constitutional republic of our past.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:57:13 pm »
...would've could've should've. Too late...that's what happens to presidential losers.  Ted Cruz is what was.

And soon to be unceremoniously relegated to back benches as he slips into irrelevancy... Oh, the indignity.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, though. Be sure to light a candle to the GOP's patron saint of conservatism, SainTED.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 02:02:24 pm »
What  a worthless pointless thread.  Abbott and Cruz are both outstanding conservatives.  In my eyes its like picking between Jefferson and Washington.

Try something more relevant next time.

You seem to like to bash conservatives don't you?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:03:29 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:06:00 pm »

Is it any wonder you see no difference between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump? Oy vey. Look what we're up against.  **nononono*

Offline chae

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »
@aligncare

Are you a conservative?  I'm not trying to start an argument or insult, It's just I've seen some of your posts and I'm just trying to figure out your "alignment", for lack of a better term.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 02:11:56 pm »
What  a worthless pointless thread.  Abbott and Cruz are both outstanding conservatives.  In my eyes its like picking between Jefferson and Washington.

Try something more relevant next time.

You seem to like to bash conservatives don't you?

A poll from the Austin un-American Statesman taken in the People's Republic of Austin is not representative of the great esteem most Texans have for Ted Cruz, an honorable Constitutional Conservative.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 02:19:00 pm »
Cruz is polarizing because he is an outspoken conservative. 

Nah.  Cruz is polarizing because his speech, mannerisms, sanctimonious attitude and propensity to lie are repellent to the majority of Americans--which is why he "won" just 43% of the vote in the Texas primary   :shrug:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »
Says the guy relentlessly pushing Donald Trump, who's even worse in all the categories you cited.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 02:36:03 pm »
Fascinating.

What I find amazing is how most Trump backers initially liked and promoted Cruz... then came The Donald.. .and it then became fashionable to not only hate Cruz, but seek his political destruction.  That smear by the National Enquirer was as despicable as it gets.  And nobody paid a price for instigating it.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:12 pm »
Fascinating.

Exactly.  This is why I no longer go to TOS.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 02:40:49 pm »
Nah.  Cruz is polarizing because his speech, mannerisms, sanctimonious attitude and propensity to lie are repellent to the majority of Americans--which is why he "won" just 43% of the vote in the Texas primary   :shrug:

Right... nothing off-putting about Trump's mannerisms, eh?  Especially when he's ridiculing physically disabled reporters (and please... spare us the tortuous explanations as to why he wasn't really "ridiculing").  Certainly THAT is completely unrelated to his abysmal favorable ratings, right? 

As for Cruz' 43% showing in Texas, you do remember that was in a far more crowded field than when Trump's home state of NY held its primary.  And speaking of Texas, your boy isn't faring particularly well out there... a state that has been reliably conservative by large margins since 1976 and he can only outpace Clinton by 7%?  No wonder the dems wanted to face Trump so badly in the general... he'll be the candidate who puts Texas in play for them.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:43:48 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:01 pm »
What I find amazing is how most Trump backers initially liked and promoted Cruz... then came The Donald.. .and it then became fashionable to not only hate Cruz, but seek his political destruction.  That smear by the National Enquirer was as despicable as it gets.  And nobody paid a price for instigating it.

They're all in with the cult. Their closely held ideals couldn't have been that closely held if they so easily tossed them aside.

But of all people to look to as their champion - Donald Trump?

Its like an episode of Seinfeld.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 03:15:13 pm »
They're all in with the cult. Their closely held ideals couldn't have been that closely held if they so easily tossed them aside.

But of all people to look to as their champion - Donald Trump?

Its like an episode of Seinfeld.

Seinfeld and Trump- both shows about nothing. :silly:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:21:17 pm »
Here's the thing antis need to understand. A lot of former Cruz supporters, myself and my wife included, took a 2nd look at Cruz and saw him as a phoney, a fake. Dishonest and playing a role. A lawyer who created an argument and positioned his public perception image for it. Personally I now see him as a globalist and dishonest who played the role of a hypothetical super conservative as his best chance of riding the people's anger at Government into the White House.

A lot of the stuff that happened in the Primary the Anti's refuse to acknowledge hurt Cruz's image as a "Honorable Constitutional Conservative" Things that are dismissed by anti's such as the Carson-CNN thing, The Wife attacks, The constant twisting about what Trump said. His duplicity with billionaire gay activists, his exposed history where he argued "reasonable gun control" was fine in Heller, His big donors, backers etc being of the other side in our fight, etc.

The big split was when he in lawyer (aka tried to come down on both sides) speak resulted in the perception in many minds that he blamed Trump and the police for the violence.

People can and do disagree on all of the things above and more. I have no intention of rehashing them now. The fact is lot of conservatives, including Texans, do not see Cruz as favorable as he once was considered. Bottom line there are 2 sides to the issues of why people left the Cruz camp.  This poll reflects that Fact.

Here is a another problem hes facing right now. He has the power to tell his people to back off sabotaging Trump at the Convention. He also gave his word to support the winner. That hes not doing either is obvious and many are now  looking to blame Cruz (since its his people) for the problems they will try to cause at the convention. A tactic sure to lose and will come back and bite Cruz in the ass when he runs for reelection.

I posted this to explain what I see as why he got beat so bad in the primary by voters in the primary and hes still dropping in  popularity with conservatives. I will not argue any of the points above. This is for information and education, not flame bait.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 04:31:13 pm »
Here's the thing antis need to understand. A lot of former Cruz supporters, myself and my wife included, took a 2nd look at Cruz and saw him as a phoney, a fake. Dishonest and playing a role. A lawyer who created an argument and positioned his public perception image for it. Personally I now see him as a globalist and dishonest who played the role of a hypothetical super conservative as his best chance of riding the people's anger at Government into the White House.

A lot of the stuff that happened in the Primary the Anti's refuse to acknowledge hurt Cruz's image as a "Honorable Constitutional Conservative" Things that are dismissed by anti's such as the Carson-CNN thing, The Wife attacks, The constant twisting about what Trump said. His duplicity with billionaire gay activists, his exposed history where he argued "reasonable gun control" was fine in Heller, His big donors, backers etc being of the other side in our fight, etc.

The big split was when he in lawyer (aka tried to come down on both sides) speak resulted in the perception in many minds that he blamed Trump and the police for the violence.

People can and do disagree on all of the things above and more. I have no intention of rehashing them now. The fact is lot of conservatives, including Texans, do not see Cruz as favorable as he once was considered. Bottom line there are 2 sides to the issues of why people left the Cruz camp.  This poll reflects that Fact.

Here is a another problem hes facing right now. He has the power to tell his people to back off sabotaging Trump at the Convention. He also gave his word to support the winner. That hes not doing either is obvious and many are now  looking to blame Cruz (since its his people) for the problems they will try to cause at the convention. A tactic sure to lose and will come back and bite Cruz in the ass when he runs for reelection.

I posted this to explain what I see as why he got beat so bad in the primary by voters in the primary and hes still dropping in  popularity with conservatives. I will not argue any of the points above. This is for information and education, not flame bait.

Your dislike for Cruz has nothing whatsoever to do with globalism, dishonesty, etc etc.

You dislike Cruz for the sole reason he opposed your perceived deliverer and celebrity candidate. Period. Full stop.

You're right though. Lets not rehash this.