Author Topic: Islamic State And The Threat Of WMDs  (Read 311 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Islamic State And The Threat Of WMDs
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:02:54 am »
I'm not sure about this article, I think it's too blaise, of course, all of us worry about IS getting some sort of WMD.

Excerpted:
Islamic State And The Threat Of WMDs

Many Ways To Dirty Bomb

Another problem would be a conventional weapons attack on a nuclear facility, which could conceivably cause a Chernobyl-like disaster or worse. It remains nearly impossible to attack a nuclear power plant, as they have substantial protection, but attacking nuclear-research facilities that have reactors filled with nuclear materials is far easier, and a lot of cities have these. According to Dvorkin even bombing a nuclear-storage facility with a relatively small bomb would mean the destruction of buildings within a 3-4-kilometer radius and fallout covering a much larger area and creating a lasting effect.

The second and far more immediate threat is that of attack with a radiological device. The materials for this are located in over a 100 countries and, critically found not just in specialized facilitates but in hospitals and research centers used, for example, in treating cancer -- places that, unlike major nuclear facilities, don't have gates, guards, and guns. The expert who attended the forum warned me that IS has many such facilities within the land it already controls and that is where the "dirty bomb" (a radiological as opposed to nuclear bomb) threat is now unequivocally real.

http://www.rferl.org/content/islamic-state-threat-of-wmd/27828778.html