Author Topic: Donald Trump Back-Pedals on Banning Muslims From U.S.  (Read 2158 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump Back-Pedals on Banning Muslims From U.S.
« on: June 28, 2016, 02:24:25 am »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-back-pedals-on-banning-muslims-from-u-s-1467058774

Donald Trump Back-Pedals on Banning Muslims From U.S.

Republican candidate moves toward more nuanced policy targeting countries with record of terrorism

By BETH REINHARD and  DAMIAN PALETTA
Updated June 27, 2016 5:03 p.m. ET

Donald Trump appears to be backing away from one of his signature and most controversial proposals—banning Muslims from entering the U.S.—as polls show him falling slightly behind Hillary Clinton.

Since Mr. Trump essentially clinched the GOP presidential nomination in May, amid widespread popularity of his proposed ban among primary voters, he has gradually moved away from a blanket religious ban and toward a more nuanced policy targeting countries with a record of terrorism.

Mr. Trump’s policy director, Stephen Miller, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal on Monday, “The best way to prevent continued radicalization from developing inside America is to suspend temporarily immigration from regions that have been a major source for terrorists and their supporters coming to the U.S.”

But the evolution of the policy has come in fits and starts, with conflicting statements by Mr. Trump that have confused some of his strongest supporters on Capitol Hill. Mr. Trump has never said he was wrong about the temporary Muslim ban or explicitly said he was abandoning that policy.

Asked about the confusion, one of Mr. Trump’s top foreign-policy advisers, retired Rear Admiral Charles Kubic, said he was “working with the campaign to address this issue.” He said he expected a statement from the campaign headquarters this week.

Mr. Trump was tied with Mrs. Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, in late May and now lags by more than 6 percentage points, according to the Real Clear Politics polling average. The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News survey showed him with 41% support, compared with 46% for Mrs. Clinton.

Counter-terrorism and national-security experts who disagreed with a Muslim ban said a geographic immigration policy still raised concerns, because Mr. Trump so far had not detailed which countries would qualify and how he would measure their records on terrorism. Among the questions: Would it apply to Northern Ireland, which has weathered terror attacks that weren’t carried out by Islamic extremists, and Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of most of the 9/11 hijackers that is also a top American ally?

Typically, presidential candidates travel abroad to flaunt their foreign-policy chops, but Mr. Trump’s first trip overseas this past weekend was focused on promoting his new golf course in Scotland. When pressed by reporters for details on his national-security policies, Mr. Trump said he would block immigrants from “countries with great terrorism.” Muslims from Scotland or other parts of Great Britain “wouldn’t bother me,” he said.

Two of Mr. Trump’s foreign-policy advisers on Monday said they were unavailable for comment or didn’t have permission to speak to reporters.

Carl Paladino, the 2010 Republican gubernatorial nominee in New York and a top Trump supporter, said he didn’t think Mr. Trump was changing his national-security policy.

“I don’t think it was ever a ban directed at religion,” said Mr. Paladino, who attended a recent speech by Mr. Trump in Manhattan that focused on banning Syrian refugees who haven’t been properly vetted, rather than Muslims.

He added: “Expecting a clear definition is a little bit much in the middle of a presidential campaign.”

Exit polls showed that large majorities of Republican primary voters and caucus-goers backed Mr. Trump’s proposal, made in December, to temporarily block Muslims from the U.S.

A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll released Monday found that 49% of registered voters oppose a temporary Muslim ban, suggesting that the proposal could be an obstacle in the general election. Some 34% of voters supported the proposed ban. A number of top Republican leaders, including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, denounced the proposal.

For Mr. Trump, retreating from the Muslim ban carries risks and rewards: He could alienate staunch, rank-and-file supporters but also could engender goodwill in a Republican political establishment still wary of his candidacy.

Snip
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Re: Donald Trump Back-Pedals on Banning Muslims From U.S.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:11 am »
So, no Muslim ban. A clear flip-flop.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:31:54 am »
There will be no immigration ban, period.  It's impossible to enforce.  There are Muslim terrorists in Belgium.  Nobody from Belgium?

There are Muslim terrorists in France.  Nobody from France?

See how ludicrous this is?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:24 am »
Terror attacks or attempted attacks against the U.S. and its European allies have been carried out in recent years by people from the U.S., Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Lebanon, United Arab Emirates, Nigeria, United Kingdom, Iraq, Syria, France and Belgium, among other places.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 02:39:43 am »
Just a reminder:  Trump statement from December:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:05 am »
stuart stevens ‏@stuartpstevens  2m2 minutes ago

Really, for sake of clarity, @realDonaldTrump needs to decide how much he hates Muslims & which ones he hates the most. It gets confusing.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:30:56 am »
Just a reminder:  Trump statement from December:

@sinkspur

@Mechanicos ... I'm waiting for you to come here to tell us that what Deceitful Donny said, clearly, wasn't really what he said.

Or will this be the time when you finally face the fact that he's a bald-faced liar?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

HonestJohn

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:07:50 pm »
There will be no immigration ban, period.  It's impossible to enforce.  There are Muslim terrorists in Belgium.  Nobody from Belgium?

There are Muslim terrorists in France.  Nobody from France?

See how ludicrous this is?

And those Muslim Canadians...  we'll need a wall to keep them out.  He'd better get Canada to pay for it!

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:03 pm »
The only legitimate question is:  was he lying then, or is he lying now.  The Trumpkins have only those two choices; anything else from them is merely hypocrisy and self-delusion.  The simple fact of the matter is that Donald Trump is a bald faced liar for whom truth is nothing more than whatever empty rhetoric serves his momentary purposes; to be discarded when some other lie works better. 

Offline RedHead

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:20:38 pm »
I know it's not uncommon for a candidate to trend towards the middle once they have won the nomination but I have never seen a candidate so completely repudiate earlier positions, not once but time and time again.  And whose spokesmen consistently claim that their candidate never even took the earlier position in spite of overwhelming evidence that they did.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »
I know it's not uncommon for a candidate to trend towards the middle once they have won the nomination but I have never seen a candidate so completely repudiate earlier positions, not once but time and time again.  And whose spokesmen consistently claim that their candidate never even took the earlier position in spite of overwhelming evidence that they did.

Expect so much more from Trump because for him truth is nothing more than empty rhetoric told for its immediate political effect, and changed at a moments notice when some other, possibly contradictory, lie will serve his momentary purposes better. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »

AKA Liars.

What I fail to understand is why honest people continue to pretend these liars are not what they are just because it happens on TV and on forums like this one. It matters regardless of where it happens. Lies spread here and elswhere impact 'here' and 'elsewhere'. A liar is a liar and should be shunned.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 08:37:08 pm »
Claxon sounding as the Trump positions truck rolls back, rolls back, rolls back.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:37:58 pm by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:00 pm »
AKA Liars.

What I fail to understand is why honest people continue to pretend these liars are not what they are just because it happens on TV and on forums like this one. It matters regardless of where it happens. Lies spread here and elswhere impact 'here' and 'elsewhere'. A liar is a liar and should be shunned.
A man is only as good as his word.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Chasaway

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
AKA Liars.

What I fail to understand is how people [by "people", I mean Trump supporters] can gloss over Trump's numerous gaffes, inconsistencies, reversals, et al...AFTER completely trashing Ted Cruz for other people's misstatements, prevarications [lies] and outright-made-up issues THAT NEVER EVEN EXISTED!

Cruz was diminished by Trump supporters over things that never existed and/or never happened. 12 months ago Cruz was a poster boy for conservatives who wanted a strong, conservative person to lead. Those same people drank the poison and loved it. They became what they previously detested.

Because Trump was ANGRY.

Because Trump talked ugly at the GOPe.

Because wall, muslims, et al.

Until he didn't.

And once he didn't, they STILL justify and rationalize, never once looking back with any sort of introspection at what they did with Senator Cruz.

I don't know if I'll ever understand their blindness. But I know I'll never forget their throwing away conservative values to have their ears tickled.
"That's all I can stands; I can't stands n' more!"

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »
What I fail to understand is how people [by "people", I mean Trump supporters] can gloss over Trump's numerous gaffes, inconsistencies, reversals, et al...AFTER completely trashing Ted Cruz for other people's misstatements, prevarications [lies] and outright-made-up issues THAT NEVER EVEN EXISTED!

Cruz was diminished by Trump supporters over things that never existed and/or never happened. 12 months ago Cruz was a poster boy for conservatives who wanted a strong, conservative person to lead. Those same people drank the poison and loved it. They became what they previously detested.

Because Trump was ANGRY.

Until he didn't.

And once he didn't, they STILL justify and rationalize, never once looking back with any sort of introspection at what they did with Senator Cruz.

I don't know if I'll ever understand their blindness. But I know I'll never forget their throwing away conservative values to have their ears tickled.

Best I can figure is it comes down to either cowardace/pride or simple evil.

On one hand you have the regular sheep types that lack the courage to stand for whats right and will just deny, deny, deny in the futile hope no one will notice because admitting a mistake is simply too much for their ego to handle.

On the other you have people intent on spreading the evil of liberalism 'no matter what'. Those words have a meaning.

People get upset about that but intentionally evil actions are not taken by good people. And I want to see the person willing to say in public, with their real name attached, that intentionally electing a proven liar is not an act of evil.

No one can say truthfully that Trump is an honest man after his documented reversals on his core statements, that he is a good man for siding with the gay lobby to allow perverts in women's bathrooms, that he is a patriot for compromising on the 2A or any of his other adventures into anti-American leftist policy.

People that would try doing so in the face of all evidence and FACTS to the contrary are liars. Liars are evil.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »
 goopo

Because Trump was ANGRY.

Until he didn't.

goopo
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »
His foundation is as solid as pudding.

Offline biff

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:42 pm »
Unless I missed it or something, Mechaninose hasn't yet shown up to defend donnie backing up so far he fell over backwards.

Offline biff

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
Forgot. Is there now anything donnie has not performed a reversal on? Anything?