Author Topic: Hardly anybody wants to speak at Trump's convention  (Read 6633 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Hardly anybody wants to speak at Trump's convention
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »
I will never affiliate myself with the GOP ever again either.
Thankfully, most state Republican organizations aren't as bad as the RNC. I'll be a loyal member and supporter of my state GOP. Considering how important elections are at the local and state levels, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Aside: What a strange expression!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »
Night 2 of the GOP convention is dominated by Kitty Ping-Pong...

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 03:48:10 pm »
Thankfully, most state Republican organizations aren't as bad as the RNC. I'll be a loyal member and supporter of my state GOP. Considering how important elections are at the local and state levels, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Aside: What a strange expression!

Don't look now, but the RNC is made up of State GOP insiders. So the RNC is a direct reflection of State GOP desires.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 04:01:42 pm »
Please do not insult PeeWee by comparing him to Trump.  Paul Reubens is a stand up guy.

When he's not playing with himself in a public venue.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2016, 04:02:44 pm »
When he's not playing with himself in a public venue.
And Trump isn't?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 05:02:26 pm »
“I am not attending,” said South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy, who is overseeing the high-profile congressional Republican investigation into Hillary Clinton’s handling of the attacks on Benghazi. Gowdy, who said he was taking his family to the beach instead, hasn’t gone to conventions in the past and didn’t plan to now.
===================================================================================================

Eat sh__ Gowdy.  You and several other SC polticos decided to go pro-Trump on Super Tuesday.  Your ass is complicit in this mess, so get that same ass to Cleveland to serve your master.

Right, Catfish... A lot of people should have stood up for their principles when it mattered and stopped the Donald when he could have been stopped.

I'm getting the feeling that, while the Stop Trump movement has a lot of momentum, it doesn't have good leadership or plans.  Maybe Gowdy could do some good there.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 05:09:03 pm »
No, they're taking the wise advice of George Will - make sure Trump loses, so we can live to fight another day.

2020 will be here soon enough.  But will the GOP be?  The 2016 GOP is Trump's party, and he can have it.  But if enough stay away,  there's hope that the party - and conservatism - can be viable again in four years.   That's all we've got folks - it will have to do.

I agree.  We have the Republican Party.  We've let it slip away to good ole boys who just want to enjoy being Senators, etc. but don't want to stand up for principles or rock any boats.

What we have to do, and could have done with Ted Cruz, is elect more real conservatives to Congress. 

Pie in the sky notions of a third party are just that.  The Republican Party has the organization and it needs to be kept and reformed.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 05:12:49 pm »

I'm getting the feeling that, while the Stop Trump movement has a lot of momentum, it doesn't have good leadership or plans.  Maybe Gowdy could do some good there.

Gowdy's Bengazi investigation has gone on since 2013, and the bitch is still walking.  I have no faith in him at all.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 05:30:12 pm »
Pie in the sky notions of a third party are just that.  The Republican Party has the organization and it needs to be kept and reformed.
Except they have shown they don't have an effective campaign. Otherwise, we wouldn't be in this situation and would be planning President Romney's re-election campaign.

When confronted with evil, the GOP says "I'll clear the way!" It's useless. Its only existence is to have some token resistance to the Democratic machine.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »
Except they have shown they don't have an effective campaign. Otherwise, we wouldn't be in this situation and would be planning President Romney's re-election campaign.

When confronted with evil, the GOP says "I'll clear the way!" It's useless. Its only existence is to have some token resistance to the Democratic machine.

That's the sort of thinking that got us Donald Trump.  Yes, the Party has reached bottom but it is still our only hope.  It would take decades to establish some sort of 'Independent Conservative Party' and it could never be done.  Unlike democrats, Republicans have a lot of inner differences. 

The frustration you are feeling led exactly to Donald Trump.  We all need to calm down and realize that rebuilding the Republican Party is our only hope.  It can be done in four years if we don't throw our hands up.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
And Trump isn't?

Figuratively speaking, perhaps.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 07:41:03 pm »
Paul Reubens isn't busy.

Maybe he could say a few words.

A few words:  "I'm sorry!  I'm sorry I took the money!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

geronl

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 07:57:48 pm »
Matt Lesko will give the invocation for the GOP Convention....

HonestJohn

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:26 pm »
I'm sure Pat Buchanon, David Duke, and the heads of the Idaho militias would be happy to speak for you, Herr Drumpf.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 09:29:58 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/hardly-anybody-wants-to-speak-at-trumps-convention-224815

Hardly anybody wants to speak at Trump's convention

POLITICO reached out to more than 50 prominent Republicans. Few said they plan to attend the convention in Cleveland, let alone speak.

By Alex Isenstadt

06/27/16 05:10 AM EDT

A slot at the Republican National Convention used to be a career-maker — a chance to make your name on the big stage and to catch the eye of the Republican donors and activists who make or break campaigns.

In the year of Trump: Not so much.

With the convention less than a month away, POLITICO contacted more than 50 prominent governors, senators and House members to gauge their interest in speaking. Only a few said they were open to it, and everyone else said they weren’t planning on it, didn’t want to or weren’t going to Cleveland at all — or simply didn’t respond.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/hardly-anybody-wants-to-speak-at-trumps-convention-224815#ixzz4Col67IxX
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 09:37:09 pm »
That it's being called 'Trump's Convention' says a lot on why many don't want to associate with it. It isn't 'his' convention, it is the Republican National Convention and it is more than about nominating a candidate. Trump going around threatening people about speaking slots for not supporting him as if this convention is his property is turning a lot of people off from being associated with it. He puts the bully in bully pulpit.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 09:37:43 pm »
This just in.

Eastwood's empty chair is in talks with the convention committe, though Eastwood himself will be a no show.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

HonestJohn

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:26 pm »
This just in.

Eastwood's empty chair is in talks with the convention committe, though Eastwood himself will be a no show.

BREAKING NEWS: Eastwood's empty chair is quoted as saying, "I'd rather be broken apart and burnt as kindling than go to that sleazy nutbag's convention!!!"
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:43:53 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Lisbon1939

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 10:46:40 pm »
How does a congressional junket to Israel benefit the state?

She might see a tabernacle.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:38 pm »
Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan. - John F. Kennedy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 11:54:19 pm »
All that's left now to speak for Trump are Christie, Sessions and the three Trump kids.   

Take that, Trumpsters!

Pat Buchanan,  Ben Carson, Newt Gingrich,  Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity,  Mike Tyson, maybe Putin.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 12:06:12 am »
It will be very difficult for Trump to win the election with such division in the GOP. There are two types of Republicans that oppose Trump. The Establishment Republicans and Conservatives. The first type should own the mess as they created Trump. Seems it's becoming increasingly clear that Trump's wins in the open primaries were not cross over supporters but a Reverse Operation Chaos.

Even if Trump does well amongst independents, without the totality of the base he loses to Hillary. And no, the disenchanted Bernie backers aren't gonna do it.

Too many of his supporters have created an alternative universe when it comes to Trump that may end up crashing on them in Nov

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:07:18 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:40 am »
No, they're taking the wise advice of George Will - make sure Trump loses, so we can live to fight another day.

2020 will be here soon enough.  But will the GOP be?  The 2016 GOP is Trump's party, and he can have it.  But if enough stay away,  there's hope that the party - and conservatism - can be viable again in four years.   That's all we've got folks - it will have to do.

There will be obstacles and major downsides to this strategy but, at some point, the problems we face will be too great to hide. No accounting tricks or slanted news coverage or political speak will be enough to hide them. This isn't the end of the fight but the seeds of a beginning. A majority in every poll regard expanding government as the biggest problem facing us.

When that day comes, conservatism will be there with real solutions. It will be because there will be no other viable and credible alternative. It's starting in Europe.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 12:36:47 am »
All George did was leave the party. Not his circus, not his monkey. I will never affiliate myself with the GOP ever again either.
Things are not looking good for Trump. He appears to be behind in every poll and losing by double digits in a few. And that's with national events basically going in his favor. And an awful candidate like Hillary.
It appears the Republican Party is irrevocably split. If the patrons of TOS are any example, they hate conservative Pubbies as well as old style moderates. Cruz is universally reviled on FR. I can't think of one other big name Pubbie  they like. I would assume there are millions of Pubbies like them who have eschewed conservatism for Trumpism.
So how is it going to be possible to for the new populist/nationalist-minded Pubbies to reconcile with conservative Pubbies? I just can't see it happening.
Trump screwed the future of the Republican Party as a conservative vehicle but good. What comes next, I don't know.

Offline DB

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 12:50:55 am »
All that's left now to speak for Trump are Christie, Sessions and the three Trump kids.   

Take that, Trumpsters!

You forgot Palin...