Author Topic: Trump vs. Reagan (Part 5): Trump First versus God First, by Paul Kengor  (Read 995 times)

RAT Patrol

Trump vs. Reagan (Part 5): Trump First versus God First - See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/trump-vs-reagan-part-5-trump-first-versus-god-first#sthash.OhfJLV0Y.dpuf

By: Paul G Kengor | June 26, 2016

Excerpt of Trump Examples

What was said? What was said was Trump. What was said was not just by Trump but about Trump. Even when Trump is tasked to talk to evangelicals (or, as he had called them, “The Evangelicals”), he talks not about God but about himself. This witness to the faith by Trump became a witness to Trump.

“Christianity, I owe so much to it in many ways,” Trump said, as reported by the Christian Post. “Through life, through having incredible children, through so many other things. But also from frankly, standing here because the evangelical vote was mostly gotten by me.”

Donald Trump, in his words, owes so much to Christianity because, as he stated himself, it got him the evangelical vote, which, incidentally (he had to emphasize) “was mostly gotten by me.”

One would expect a Christian testimony to focus on, well, Christ. Trump, however, continued to speak of himself, and did so in the third person, as if standing outside of himself, apart from himself, and in admiration of his accomplishments:

“If you remember, I went to South Carolina and I was going to be beat in a very evangelical state," Trump boasted to the Christian leaders. "And, I was going to be beaten by [Ted Cruz] or somebody because he [was supposed to] be very strong with the evangelical vote and I ended up getting massive majorities of the evangelical vote. And then everybody said, 'What’s going on and how did Trump do that?’"

"I won elsewhere and I won the whole South and heavy evangelical and Christian votes," Trump added.

As the day continued, the billionaire businessman did not seem to pivot much from this focus on this special Trump trinity of me, myself, and I.

"Some of the people are saying, ‘let’s pray for our leaders.’ I said, 'You can pray for your leaders, and I agree with that, pray for everyone. But what you really have to do is pray to get everyone out to vote for one specific person,'" Trump said.

In other words, what evangelicals really need to pray for, said Trump, is for people to vote Trump. They need to pray for more disciples to board the Trump Train.
- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/trump-vs-reagan-part-5-trump-first-versus-god-first#sthash.OhfJLV0Y.dpuf

More Trump

Those are purported positives, but then there are the negatives. There was Trump’s unforgettable statement that he, a Christian, does not ask for forgiveness. “Why do I have to repent or ask for forgiveness, if I am not making mistakes?" asked Trump.

The strangest Trump faith statement that sticks in my mind was his response when asked if he had a favorite Bible verse, a question asked of candidates all the time, and for which they usually have a ready answer. Here was Trump’s answer:
Well, I think many. I mean, you know, when we get into the Bible, I think many. So many. And some people—look, an eye for an eye, you can almost say that. That’s not a particularly nice thing. But you know, if you look at what’s happening to our country, I mean, when you see what’s going on with our country, how people are taking advantage of us, and how they scoff at us and laugh at us. And they laugh at our face, and they’re taking our jobs, they’re taking our money, they’re taking the health of our country. And we have to be firm and have to be very strong. And we can learn a lot from the Bible, that I can tell you.

Trump’s answer to that simple question was as incoherent as it was uninspiring, reminiscent of his shocking answer to questions about why he is (allegedly) a conservative, which I quoted here a few weeks ago.
- See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/trump-vs-reagan-part-5-trump-first-versus-god-first#sthash.OhfJLV0Y.dpuf

Excerpt of Reagan Examples
When asked his favorite Bible verse, Ronald Reagan was never at a loss for words. He always pointed to one of several passages from the Gospel of John in the New Testament (John 3:16, John 10:10, and others from John 10), or the “city on a hill” passage from Matthew 5:14-16, or (most commonly) the Old Testament verse from 2nd Chronicles 7:14, which states: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” - See more at: https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/06/trump-vs-reagan-part-5-trump-first-versus-god-first#sthash.OhfJLV0Y.dpuf
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 06:13:21 pm by RAT Patrol »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump is just another Obama but with a penis.

He may not have the same hatred for the country, but his egomaniacal narcism may be bigger than His Heinous.  He is on the same fleece-level of corruption and manipulation that Hillary is.

I become more convinced that Trump will be worse for the country than Hildabeast, certainly Trump will exterminate what is left of actual Constitutional Conservatism and redefine it into his own image, as his rabid Militant already do.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775