Author Topic: Aziz Ansari: Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family  (Read 378 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Aziz Ansari: Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:23:24 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/26/opinion/sunday/aziz-ansari-why-trump-makes-me-scared-for-my-family.html?ref=opinion

Aziz Ansari: Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family

By AZIZ ANSARIJUNE 24, 2016

“DON’T go anywhere near a mosque,” I told my mother. “Do all your prayer at home. O.K.?”

“We’re not going,” she replied.

I am the son of Muslim immigrants. As I sent that text, in the aftermath of the horrible attack in Orlando, Fla., I realized how awful it was to tell an American citizen to be careful about how she worshiped.

Being Muslim American already carries a decent amount of baggage. In our culture, when people think “Muslim,” the picture in their heads is not usually of the Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or the kid who left the boy band One Direction. It’s of a scary terrorist character from “Homeland” or some monster from the news.

more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Aziz Ansari: Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 12:24:24 am »
What a load of tripe.  This effing idiot is conflating all of America with some small minority of backwoods baboons.

HonestJohn

Re: Aziz Ansari: Why Trump Makes Me Scared for My Family
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:12:05 am »
What a load of tripe.  This effing idiot is conflating all of America with some small minority of backwoods baboons.

It's called stereotyping.

And it cuts both ways. 

He'll be suspicious of all conservatives because of this, no matter if the conservative values are closer in relation to his own.  He'll also pass that down to his children.  That's very much why blacks, Jews, and now Hispanics are moving (or have already moved) away from even considering the GOP.

In other words:

[float=left][float=left]"What you do doesn't just reflect on you, but on us all."[/float][/float]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:12:48 am by HonestJohn »