Author Topic: Rubio talks of Trump in deciding to run for senate again.  (Read 2200 times)

cuky

Rubio talks of Trump in deciding to run for senate again.
« on: June 23, 2016, 01:31:38 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/notes/marco-rubio/im-seeking-reelection-to-the-us-senate/10153942018887851

I post the whole letter because it is not an article from a newspaper and comes from the Rubio facebook page.

I’m Seeking Reelection To The US Senate

MARCO RUBIO·WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22, 2016

In politics, admitting you’ve changed your mind is not something most people like to do. But here it goes.   I have decided to seek reelection to the United States Senate.
I understand my opponents will try to use this decision to score political points against me. Have at it. Because I have never claimed to be perfect, or to have all the answers.
 Still, the people of Florida deserve to know why I’ve changed my mind.

I have often said that the U.S. Senate can be a frustrating place. And it’s true. After witnessing the gridlock that grips Washington, I think just about every American – Democrat or Republican – would agree.
But the Senate is also a place from which you can perform great services for the people you have the honor of representing. And I am proud of the work we have done to help thousands of Floridians over the last six years.   

The Senate can also be a place from which great policy advances can be made. I am proud that we have done that too.
But as we begin the next chapter in the history of our nation, there’s another role for the Senate that could end up being its most important in the years to come: The Constitutional power to act as a check and balance on the excesses of a president.

Control of the Senate may very well come down to the race in Florida. That means the future of the Supreme Court will be determined by the Florida Senate seat. It means the future of the disastrous Iran nuclear deal will be determined by the Florida Senate seat. It means the direction of our country’s fiscal and economic policies will be determined by this Senate seat. The stakes for our nation could not be higher.

There’s also something else. No matter who is elected president, there is reason for worry.

With Hillary Clinton, we would have four more years of the same failed economic policies that have left us with a stagnant economy. We would have four more years of the same failed foreign policy that has allowed radical Islam to spread, and terrorists to be released from Guantanamo. And even worse, if Clinton were president and her party took control of Congress, she would govern without Congressional oversight or limit. It would be a repeat of the early years of the current administration, when we got Obamacare, the failed stimulus and a record debt. 

The prospect of a Trump presidency is also worrisome to me. It is no secret that I have significant disagreements with Donald Trump. His positions on many key issues are still unknown. And some of his statements, especially about women and minorities, I find not just offensive but unacceptable. If he is elected, we will need Senators willing to encourage him in the right direction, and if necessary, stand up to him. I’ve proven a willingness to do both.

In the days ahead, America will continue to face serious challenges – the possibility of terrorist attacks at home and abroad, a declining military, anemic economic growth and low wages, assaults on our rights and values, outdated health care, education and pension programs in desperate need of reform – that face backward or uncertain responses from either Clinton or Trump. 

No matter who wins the White House, we need a strong group of principled, persuasive leaders in Congress who will not only advance limited government, free enterprise and a strong national defense, but also explain to Americans how it makes life better for them and their families. I ultimately changed my mind about this race because on that front, and in that fight, I believe I have something to offer. 
In the end, this was a decision made not in Washington, but back home in West Miami over Father’s Day weekend, with my wife and our four children.

There were two paths before us. There was one path that was more personally comfortable and probably smarter politically. But after much thought and prayer, together we chose to continue with public service; to continue down the path that provides the opportunity to make a positive difference at this critical and uncertain time for our nation.

In the end, there was simply too much at stake for any other choice.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Rubio talks of Trump in deciding to run for senate again.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 02:25:41 pm »
I really think this was an honest change of heart, likely brought about by begging from GOP leaders who didn't want him to lose the seat.  Glad to see Ted Cruz supporting him, too.  Says something about both of those men that they got over the campaign bitterness and ended up working more together.

And I like what Rubio said about Trump.  If Trump is elected and does the right things, support him.  If not, oppose him.  That kind of attitude might actually help Trump and save GOP seats, because the prospect of an unfettered Trump, and a GOP congress that rubber stamps anything he does, might be pretty scary to undecided voters.  But if you have people trying to choose between someone they know they dislike, and someone they're worried about may go nuts, then an assurance he can't go nuts is valuable.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 02:43:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »
It's a strange dance, but it will have to do - our nominee's nucking futs, so we need to elect Republicans who can keep him under control. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:57:20 pm »
I really think this was an honest change of heart, likely brought about by begging from GOP leaders who didn't want him to lose the seat.  Glad to see Ted Cruz supporting him, too.  Says something about both of those men that they got over the campaign bitterness and ended up working more together.

In my opinion, Ted Cruz is still smarting, as evidenced by his continued refusal to offer even a feigned word of congratulations to Donald Trump when he withdrew from the primary after his loss in Indiana. Even in a bitterly contested race, the losers traditionally (and graciously) congratulate the winner of a state.

I don't recall specifically but I believe Sen. Rubio congratulated Mr. Trump for his victory. But, not so with Sen. Cruz.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
Good on Marco.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:04:24 pm »
In my opinion, Ted Cruz is still smarting, as evidenced by his continued refusal to offer even a feigned word of congratulations to Donald Trump when he withdrew from the primary after his loss in Indiana. Even in a bitterly contested race, the losers traditionally (and graciously) congratulate the winner of a state.

I don't recall specifically but I believe Sen. Rubio congratulated Mr. Trump for his victory. But, not so with Sen. Cruz.

:baby:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 03:13:40 pm »

I was referring specifically about the bitterness between Cruz and Rubio -- it got really nasty at some points on the issue of immigration.  But they apparently have gotten over that and will be working together more.

As for Cruz' bitterness towards Trump...if I'm Cruz, I don't pee on Trump is he's on fire.  What Trump did with respect to Cruz's wife and father is not something any man should forgive.  I was not a Cruz supporter until the very end, but my opinion of the guy would worsen if he ever endorsed Trump.  Certainly not absent a direct apology to Cruz's father and wife, which isn't going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:16:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:14:07 pm »

Oh, for Pete Sakes.  Get over it.  You're trying to do nothing more than incite agitation in this forum again. Cruz doesn't owe Trump a damn thing. If anything Trump owes Cruz an apology and right now, like him or not, Trump needs Cruz a lot more than Cruz needs him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 03:17:22 pm »
Sen. Rubio is politely signaling that stumpy is an unfit kook.
Former Republican.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 03:18:25 pm »
IAs for Cruz' bitterness towards Trump...if I'm Cruz, I don't pee on Trump is he's on fire.  What Trump did with respect to Cruz's wife and father is not something any man should forgive.  I was not a Cruz supporter until the very end, but my opinion of the guy would worsen if he ever endorsed Trump.

Bingo.  What Trump did to Cruz was unconscionable.

So far, neither Cruz and Kasich has endorsed Trump, and I hope it stays that way.   Trump cannot, must not, be our next President.   

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:01 pm »

8888crybaby

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
Rubio was obviously asked to run for re-election which may also help keep a couple of House seats as two REPs have dropped out of the Senate race to make way for Marco and are now running for re-election. Apparently the GOP right now is trying to do as much damage control as they can while the orange baboon continues to rear his ugly head.

I'm not quite sure that Rubio's change of mind and heart is going to be seen as an asset.  IF he loses his home state to a DEM it will be a disaster, especially since we had a couple of really good conservative candidates willing to replace him.  With them dropping out of the race, Rubio is the most conservative (even with the Gang of 8 affiliation).  I will consider voting for him once again with extreme hesitation. He now has a track record of what he says and what he does are two different things; I trusted him once and its difficult to trust him again.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 03:29:02 pm »
Rubio was obviously asked to run for re-election which may also help keep a couple of House seats as two REPs have dropped out of the Senate race to make way for Marco and are now running for re-election. Apparently the GOP right now is trying to do as much damage control as they can while the orange baboon continues to rear his ugly head.

I'm not quite sure that Rubio's change of mind and heart is going to be seen as an asset.  IF he loses his home state to a DEM it will be a disaster, especially since we had a couple of really good conservative candidates willing to replace him.  With them dropping out of the race, Rubio is the most conservative (even with the Gang of 8 affiliation).  I will consider voting for him once again with extreme hesitation. He now has a track record of what he says and what he does are two different things; I trusted him once and its difficult to trust him again.

Just when I begin to respect Rubio he goes and reminds me he's just another political opportunist. I hope he reconsiders running again.

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 03:36:27 pm »

You can't be serious, can you?  Please tell me you can't.

In case you've forgotten, Trump mocked the physical appearance of Cruz's wife and said that his elderly father was involved in a decades-old murder.  What man of any caliber would "congratulate" or be "gracious" toward such an undeserving sleaze?

It might be hard for some Trump supporters to comprehend, but not everyone feels the urge to genuflect and kneel when Trump passes by. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 03:38:50 pm »
Just when I begin to respect Rubio he goes and reminds me he's just another political opportunist. I hope he reconsiders running again.

The polls were showing that the GOP was going to lose that seat, and that Rubio had the best chance of retaining it.  If he reconsiders, the most likely result would be that the seat will change hands.  Rubio still may not win it, but he apparently gives the GOP the best chance.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 03:41:13 pm »
Bingo.  What Trump did to Cruz was unconscionable.

So far, neither Cruz and Kasich has endorsed Trump, and I hope it stays that way.   Trump cannot, must not, be our next President.

I see a difference between someone like Kasich refusing to endorse Trump, and Cruz.  Trump made incredibly personal attacks against Cruz's wife and father, to the extent that even if he did view Trump as otherwise fit for the office, he still shouldn't endorse him.

Kasich is just a run of the mill "I disagree" with Trump kind of guy.  And honestly, I think he's far enough to the left now that he might not mind Hillary that much at all.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 03:48:44 pm »
Even in a bitterly contested race, the losers traditionally (and graciously) congratulate the winner of a state.

Did you complain when Trump didn't congratulate Ted Cruz when he won (what was it..Iowa?)?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:58:32 pm »

Well, I can't say I blame him. Unless, that is, he is a compulsive liar, his wife is ugly, and his father actually did kill Kennedy. In that case he ought to be gracious, concede those points, and offer his sincerest congratulations.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 04:39:45 pm »
I see a difference between someone like Kasich refusing to endorse Trump, and Cruz.  Trump made incredibly personal attacks against Cruz's wife and father, to the extent that even if he did view Trump as otherwise fit for the office, he still shouldn't endorse him.

Kasich is just a run of the mill "I disagree" with Trump kind of guy.  And honestly, I think he's far enough to the left now that he might not mind Hillary that much at all.

That's crap.  Kasich is a Reagan conservative of long standing.  I proudly supported him for the Presidency  -  but then again,  I'm an old Reagan conservative myself.  Not TEA party.  Not that it matters at this point.  I'd love to be able to vote for a TEA party cat like Cruz than Trump and his alt-right fascism.

As for the "difference" between Kasich and Cruz declining to endorse Trump, I miss your point.  Cruz won't endorse Trump because he insulted Cruz's family.  Kasich won't endorse Trump, apparently, because of principle.   I like politicians that stand on principle.  It's a rare trait.     

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 05:03:49 pm »
That's crap.  Kasich is a Reagan conservative of long standing.  I proudly supported him for the Presidency  -  but then again,  I'm an old Reagan conservative myself.  Not TEA party.

Kasich was a Reagan conservative.  He's not any more.  I'd have voted for him in the general election, but he'd have been my 16th out of 17th choices in the primary.

He has refused to support Right to Work efforts in Ohio.  I know because I personally asked him for his support at a meeting 8 years ago, and he refused.  He refuses to this day.  His support of Common Core demonstrates his lack of belief in federalism principles.  He fully supports true amnesty, which Reagan only got bludgeoned into because he needed Congressional help to control the border.   And Kasich supported Medicaid expansion in Ohio because he thinks it is "heartless" for the government not to provide health insurance.  Reagan not only was against expanding health care entitlements, he actually supported repealing Medicare and Medicaid.  Kasich's claims that he is just doing what Reagan would have done on Medicaid were shot down in flames by no less a Reagan authority than Ed Meese.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/361713/kasich-wrong-about-reagan-edwin-meese-iii-robert-alt

As for the "difference" between Kasich and Cruz declining to endorse Trump, I miss your point.  Cruz won't endorse Trump because he insulted Cruz's family.  Kasich won't endorse Trump, apparently, because of principle.   I like politicians that stand on principle.  It's a rare trait.     

How can you miss the point when you described it?  Cruz's refusal includes a matter of personal honor to defend his wife and father, in addition to the principle disagreements with Trump shared by Kasich and others.  Kasich's opposition does not.   That doesn't make Kasich's opposition invalid or wrong, but it does mean that there is an additional factor for Cruz that other candidates do not have.

If you still miss the point...I can't help you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:41:02 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »
Did you complain when Trump didn't congratulate Ted Cruz when he won (what was it..Iowa?)?

"Donald Trump thanks Iowa, congratulates opponents"

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/02/02/donald-trump-iowa-caucus-post-result-entire-speech-sot.cnn
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »
Cruz doesn't owe Trump a damn thing. If anything Trump owes Cruz an apology and right now, like him or not, Trump needs Cruz a lot more than Cruz needs him.

:thumbsup:

Offline RedHead

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:28 pm »

Want some cheese to go with that whine?

Offline RedHead

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:16 pm »
"Donald Trump thanks Iowa, congratulates opponents"

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/02/02/donald-trump-iowa-caucus-post-result-entire-speech-sot.cnn

"Rival Republican Presidential candidate Ted Cruz has called Donald Trump to congratulate him in his victory in the New Hampshire primary.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-02-10/ted-cruz-calls-to-congratulate-donald-trump/

What's your point?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:54:32 pm by RedHead »