Author Topic: Fattah submits resignation — dated Oct. 3  (Read 168 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fattah submits resignation — dated Oct. 3
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:35 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/284550-fattah-submits-resignation-wants-to-remain-until-october

June 22, 2016, 07:29 pm
Fattah submits resignation — dated Oct. 3

By Rebecca Savransky

Rep. Chaka Fattah (D-Pa.) submitted a letter of resignation from Congress on Wednesday that laid out his plan to remain as a member through October 3.

The letter, sent a day after a jury convicted him of 23 corruption charges, was quickly ripped by Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who called on Democratic leaders to join him in demanding Fattah's immediate resignation.

"Mr. Fattah has betrayed the trust of this institution and the people of Pennsylvania, and for that he should resign immediately from the House of Representatives," Ryan said in a statement he tweeted out Wednesday.

"We must hold members to the highest ethical standard and I hope that Democratic leaders will join me in seeking his immediate resignation."

On Tuesday, a Philadelphia jury delivered a guilty verdict for Fattah, who was convicted on charges related to bribery, money laundering, fraud and racketeering. He faces the prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison, as several of the charges he was convicted on carry sentences of 20 years each.

In his letter to Ryan, Fattah said that he is "sad about the results that the jury rendered yesterday and because of that, my resignation is effective October 3, 2016.

"Despite my resignation, I am working to clear my name of these charges and plan to mount an appeal," Fattah said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34