Author Topic: 20% of Donald Trump’s campaign spending goes to Trump businesses, filing says  (Read 5389 times)

Offline thatcher

If you're looking for the previous thread about this topic, it was moved to the members' only section because there was no link to a source.  This is my attempt to duplicate it  -- a scathing report on Trump's campaign finances.

20% of Donald Trump’s campaign spending goes to Trump businesses, filing says

Donald Trump’s campaign is almost broke, and is paying an unusual amount of money to Trump-owned businesses. That’s according to the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s FEC filing, details of which were released Monday night.

The report provided a number of rather shocking facts, including that his campaign raised just $3.1 million in May compared to Democratic rival Hillary Clinton’s $27million.

In comparison, Mitt Romney’s campaign raised $86.5 million in May during the 2012 presidential race. And on Monday night alone, Clinton raised about $1.6 million at a celebrity-studded fundraiser in New York City.

Another eyebrow-raising tidbit: Of the $6.7 million the Trump campaign spent in May, nearly 20% went to Trump-owned businesses or family members.
Furthermore, the filing suggests that Trump himself is drawing a salary from the campaign, which would be highly unusual.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/20-of-donald-trumps-campaign-spending-goes-to-trump-businesses-filing-says-2016-06-21

geronl

he is paying himself more than he is paying the rest of the staff combined

geronl

It's not a real campaign, it's all one big stage production

geronl

Trump Wine is not a Trump business. It is completely owned by his son, apparently.

Trump Winery is a registered trade name of Eric Trump Wine Manufacturing LLC, which is not owned, managed or affiliated with Donald J. Trump, The Trump Organization or any of their affiliates.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Now I understand what Trump meant when he said he was "self funding."

Make Trump Rich Again!!!

Kenneth P. Vogel@kenvogel

Trump campaign expenses in May, per @FEC report:
Hats: $208k
Online advertising: $115k
Data management: $48k
Communications consulting: $38k

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QJvc_SxFQ

Kenneth P. Vogel ‏@kenvogel
Trump is totally crushing Clinton in the all-important campaign infrastructure category of hat buying.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:08:57 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump is basically embezzling. Should be thrown in jail like Hillary.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
So, his various businesses have incestuous relationships with his campaign.

Yep. That's Trump.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

You were saying that under the right circumstances, a producer could make more money with a flop than he could with a hit : Max Bialystock - The Producers

Offline Cowboyway

he is paying himself more than he is paying the rest of the staff combined

The Art of the Deal
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gov Bean Counter

So, his various businesses have incestuous relationships with his campaign.

Yep. That's Trump.  :shrug:

Bill and Hill are pikers by comparison.
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline ConstitutionRose

Now if he can just get the GOP and some big donors to kick in he can turn a presidential run into a money making proposition AND be in a great negotiating position for his next TV show.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Mechanicos

So he uses his own resources for the campaign instead of paying outside venders for stuff and saves money. As always more nothing burger. Get a clue.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline livius

When this hits the mainstream press, they're going to go wild.  This man is an embarrassment and I don't see how anybody could think he should be the GOP candidate. He doesn't even look like a good businessman, which he boasts about being (although the evidence is hardly conclusive), but like a two-bit fraudster.

Also, I read today in the NY press that he has apparently been regularly applying for a property tax break on a coop he owns because his income, as manipulated by him on paper, is under $500,000 a year, which is the cut off for the tax break. One of the reasons he's refusing to disclose his income tax records is that there are probably some - er, "legal conflicts" in them.  NYC decided to disallow the deduction and is billing him for an additional $1,500 or so - it wasn't even much of a deduction - but it will probably not look good in the headlines.

Offline Mechanicos

Not really, it shows the people who think it is something bad are ignorant and have no clue. Its a smart and good thing for a self funded candidate to use his own resources for less cost then pay outside venders. They are businesses and cannot donate it without running afoul of FEC rules, So they are handled like any other business the campaign would hire, just less costly.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Online kevindavis007

I'm shocked..........
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
So he uses his own resources for the campaign instead of paying outside venders for stuff and saves money. As always more nothing burger. Get a clue.

Saving money? Those are facts not in evidence.  As owner of those businesses, Trump can charge his campaign anything he wants to for things like rent and catering services and as the candidate, he approves those disbursements.  And there are certainly less expensive office spaces than even the “fair market value” of what rent at Trump Tower costs.

“Trump’s May expenditures paint a picture of a campaign struggling to control its operation and manage its spending. Trump routinely pays himself or his properties rental fees for their facilities, including a nearly half-million-dollar rental fee for his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida, $35,000 for his Florida golf club, $125,000 for meals in his own restaurants, and $72,800 to rent offices in Trump Tower.”

http://heatst.com/politics/donald-trumps-fec-reports-show-a-campaign-running-dangerously-low-on-cash/

A half-million-dollar rental fee for Mar-a-Largo? For what? A press conference that wasn’t one? The Palm Beach County Republican Party annual Lincoln Day fundraising dinner for a couple of hundred people?

And as Trump is actually loaning money to his campaign (in the last month alone, $2.2 million loan and $46 million this year to date) he can pay himself back for those loans under FEC rules, but his companies. i.e. he gets to keep the money the campaign paid to Trump owned business.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f7412236962464f9f2c0a8d2696ba25/trumps-campaign-cycles-6-million-trump-companies

“Trump isn't the first high-profile politician to run a campaign while managing large corporate assets. Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and presidential contender Steve Forbes both ran companies bearing their name.”

“Both took great care to carefully separate their businesses and their campaigns, their former aides said, citing the complex maze of campaign finance regulations about using corporate resources. For instance, federal rules require a company to charge their campaigns fair-market value.”

“Some of Trump's revenue bump appears to be directly traced to his campaign. TAG Air Inc., the holding company for his airplane, had $3.7 million in revenue in the most recent reporting period — an amount that came largely from the campaign.”

“Even $4.7 million the campaign has spent on hats and T-shirts has a tie to Trump. The provider, Ace Specialties, is owned by a board member (Christl Mahfouz) of son Eric Trump's charitable foundation.”

Trump is not saving money on his campaign, he's making money on it.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Mechanicos

Saving money? Those are facts not in evidence.  As owner of those businesses, Trump can charge his campaign anything he wants to for things like rent and catering services and as the candidate, he approves those disbursements.  And there are certainly less expensive office spaces than even the “fair market value” of what rent at Trump Tower costs.

“Trump’s May expenditures paint a picture of a campaign struggling to control its operation and manage its spending. Trump routinely pays himself or his properties rental fees for their facilities, including a nearly half-million-dollar rental fee for his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida, $35,000 for his Florida golf club, $125,000 for meals in his own restaurants, and $72,800 to rent offices in Trump Tower.”

http://heatst.com/politics/donald-trumps-fec-reports-show-a-campaign-running-dangerously-low-on-cash/

A half-million-dollar rental fee for Mar-a-Largo? For what? A press conference that wasn’t one? The Palm Beach County Republican Party annual Lincoln Day fundraising dinner for a couple of hundred people?

And as Trump is actually loaning money to his campaign (in the last month alone, $2.2 million loan and $46 million this year to date) he can pay himself back for those loans under FEC rules, but his companies. i.e. he gets to keep the money the campaign paid to Trump owned business.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9f7412236962464f9f2c0a8d2696ba25/trumps-campaign-cycles-6-million-trump-companies

“Trump isn't the first high-profile politician to run a campaign while managing large corporate assets. Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and presidential contender Steve Forbes both ran companies bearing their name.”

“Both took great care to carefully separate their businesses and their campaigns, their former aides said, citing the complex maze of campaign finance regulations about using corporate resources. For instance, federal rules require a company to charge their campaigns fair-market value.”

“Some of Trump's revenue bump appears to be directly traced to his campaign. TAG Air Inc., the holding company for his airplane, had $3.7 million in revenue in the most recent reporting period — an amount that came largely from the campaign.”

“Even $4.7 million the campaign has spent on hats and T-shirts has a tie to Trump. The provider, Ace Specialties, is owned by a board member (Christl Mahfouz) of son Eric Trump's charitable foundation.”

Trump is not saving money on his campaign, he's making money on it.
You prove its not for services rendered to the campaign first. Until then this Democrat talking point for lo information people is done no matter how angry it makes you.

Offline Cowboyway

Not really, it shows the people who think it is something bad are ignorant and have no clue. Its a smart and good thing for a self funded candidate to use his own resources for less cost then pay outside venders. They are businesses and cannot donate it without running afoul of FEC rules, So they are handled like any other business the campaign would hire, just less costly.

A) He ain't self funded anymore; he's taking contributions, what few there are.
B) If you don't see an ethical problem with this then you're as ethically bankrupt as The Donald.
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline sinkspur

Ron Nehring ‏@RonNehring  9h9 hours ago

Trump says he'll compete in CA. His $1.3M cash on hand isn't enough to compete in San Diego County.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

as was noted above, The argument of who has the most money to spend and the amounts had no effect in the Primary and are an obsolete election paradigm not applicable to this one. As far as Support and Money to Trump/RNC. Until the RATS are defeated at the convention most Americans are sitting back watching to see how it plays out before spending money.

So its nice the RATS are focusing on the same things that proved worthless so far.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
You prove its not for services rendered to the campaign first. Until then this Democrat talking point for lo information people is done no matter how angry it makes you.

I never said it was not ("it's" not "its" BTW) for "services rendered" to the campaign. The question is the propriety and ethics of funneling 20% of Trump's campaign expenditures to Trump owned business when he is “loaning” money to his campaign and therefore can at any time up until election day, and using campaign contributions or GOP funds to pay himself back while pocketing the profits from the money his campaign paid to his own businesses. 

There is also the question as to whether the cost of the “services rendered” were at fair market value or the most cost effective options.  You made the claim that (he) “uses his own resources for the campaign instead of paying outside venders for stuff and saves money”, so I would ask you to prove these expenditures saved his campaign any money.

And you are purposely ignoring the facts I posted and spinning it into being a “Democrat talking point”.  FWIW, I hold Hillary Clinton or any other candidate (Dem, Rep or Independent) to the same standard of ethics and transparency and the appearance of nepotism.

Again, if you want to discuss and debate the facts and the points, even if you disagree with them, I'm happy to do so. But as I’ve so often seen, you don’t. You just respond with smarmy comments, accusations that anyone who doesn’t bow down without question to the “anointed one” is for Hillary or you respond with crazy conspiracy websites -  absent any facts to back up your position or your refutation of others’.

And if you are going to call me one of those "lo information people" at least spell it correctly – it is "low" not "lo".

And I am not angry because I didn’t donate any money to Trump’s campaign and will not. I am disgusted by it however.

And in truth, I am even more disgusted by Donald Trump than I am by Hillary Clinton.

I’ve long known what the Clintons are all about.

But Trump is supposedly now the standard bearer of the GOP and by extension of conservatism.  He’s supposedly the outsider, the non-insider, a man of the people, champion of the little guy and the grass roots, self-funding, populist, against crony capitalism candidate.  But how he manages or mismanages his campaign, proves to me that he is nothing of the sort.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Trump, while he may have delusions of grandeur of actually winning the election and becoming POTUS, his main motivation is to increase his fame and to line his and his family’s pockets.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:13:07 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline ScottinVA

It appears to be quite an amazing scam Orange Glorious has assembled for himself.  Some end up in prison for that type of activity.

Offline sinkspur

Matt Mackowiak
‏@MattMackowiak

Want some Trump news? The campaign is doing a forensic audit on all of Corey Lewandowski's spending.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline thatcher

Great work thatcher

Thanks, but I didn't find that clip from his FEC filing -- it was someone else -- maybe sinkspur?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:22:29 pm by thatcher »