Author Topic: NBA Basketball: LeBron James ends the debate, no one can deny his greatness now  (Read 777 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: SF GATE

URL: http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/LeBron-ends-the-debate-no-one-can-deny-his-8312455.php

by: Tim Reynolds

The drought is over for Cleveland, and the debate is over as well.

Best player in basketball?

His name is LeBron James.

This is why he went back to Cleveland, to deliver a title, to end the city's epic championship drought and finally give Northeast Ohio what it craved for nearly 52 years.

It's done. And now he's free. Anything that happens from here is icing atop a three-tiered championship cake for James.

There's absolutely nothing left for James to prove. The only thing he hadn't done on a basketball court was make Cleveland, a city whose sports teams were cursed for so long, a winner. December 27, 1964 was the day Jim Brown last made them one. That is, until June 19, 2016. James was an NBA champion before from his time in Miami, an Olympic champion, an MVP, a Finals MVP ... he had checked every box but one, and now that one is filled as well.

Read the rest at-- http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/LeBron-ends-the-debate-no-one-can-deny-his-8312455.php
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:07:26 pm by AbaraXas »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Watched the game last night, and saw my Cavs win.  I don't even know how to explain this right, because if you're not from here, you wouldn't get it.  For people of a certain age, we never got to celebrate a sports win with our fathers.  Guys a few years older than me remember the 1964 championship, and most younger guys still have their dads.  But for those of us in the middle, last night -- Father's Day...it was just tears.  Heck, my wife and I woke up this morning, and we were still crying listening to the recaps.  Took the kids to the local Dick's sporting goods that opened up after the game to sell championship merchandise.  Three hours standing in line, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  Everyone happy, laughing, and my kids getting to celebrate one with their dad.  Doesn't get any better than that.

I love my city.  First major sports championship in 52 years, streets packed...not a single arrest.  No riots, no violence.  Just decent, happy Midwesterners hugging everyone in sight whether we knew them or not.  Helping those who had a bit too much, cheering every moment.

We did it, and if you're from here -- whether you still live here or not -- you know what that means.  Hugs and tears for my fellow Ohioans, and especially those of us in the northeastern part of the state.  The Curse is over, and we are a City of Champions.

@musiclady

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:25:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline SirLinksALot

The Curse is over, and we are a City of Champions.
@musiclady

Let's just hope Cleveland does it right at the RNC Convention as well   :patriot:

Offline kidd

I don't follow the NBA very closely.

LeBron James came back to Cleveland to win one for the old neighborhood.
and he is in the picture with his kid.

Is he the decent person he seems to be?

geronl

he ain't that great though

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Yeah, pretty much.  You never know if there is some women stuff on the side that other guys don't mention, but he's married, apparently a good father, no other kids.  He's extremely smart, likely has an eidetic memory at some level.

Supporter Obama, etc., but not a rabble rouser.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
he ain't that great though
Great or not, to do what he did—come back to his hometown solely to bring a title he knew he could bring to a city that wanted it so desperately—is pure civic pride at its finest and most honorable.

The only question now is what he does next. It'll be hard to top what he's done. Maybe he'll try to build a dynasty in Cleveland. He might decide to take his services to another long-suffering team that may need a boost. Perhaps—and this is not outlandish as it seems, as he does have some experience in the sport—he'll hop to the NFL next. Or he could simply retire.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

Watched the game last night, and saw my Cavs win.  I don't even know how to explain this right, because if you're not from here, you wouldn't get it.  For people of a certain age, we never got to celebrate a sports win with our fathers.  Guys a few years older than me remember the 1964 championship, and most younger guys still have their dads.  But for those of us in the middle, last night -- Father's Day...it was just tears.  Heck, my wife and I woke up this morning, and we were still crying listening to the recaps.  Took the kids to the local Dick's sporting goods that opened up after the game to sell championship merchandise.  Three hours standing in line, and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.  Everyone happy, laughing, and my kids getting to celebrate one with their dad.  Doesn't get any better than that.

I love my city.  First major sports championship in 52 years, streets packed...not a single arrest.  No riots, no violence.  Just decent, happy Midwesterners hugging everyone in sight whether we knew them or not.  Helping those who had a bit too much, cheering every moment.

We did it, and if you're from here -- whether you still live here or not -- you know what that means.  Hugs and tears for my fellow Ohioans, and especially those of us in the northeastern part of the state.  The Curse is over, and we are a City of Champions.

@musiclady

Thanks so much for posting this @Maj. Bill Martin !

You are absolutely right.  If you're not a lifelong Cleveland fan, there's no way to understand what this means to the whole region, and how much pride LeBron brings home to all of us.

My Dad who died in 2002 was an intense Cleveland fan, and I remember watching with him when Jimmy Brown brought the Browns to victory in 1964.  He lived the rest of his life waiting for another Championship which never came.

I had a lot of tears last night, and again today.  I bought Championship shirts for my husband, myself, and our four kids, because we've all been through pain and ridicule, and now it's over.  (The shirts were all sold out in minutes even here, so I had to get them on line!)

I saw an older man on his face on the ground crying, saying, "The whole world was against us, but we DID it!"

That's how millions of us feel.  The whole world has been against us.  We've been mocked and derided, but we've held on.

Last night, LeBron James led us out of a deep, dark hole, and we won't forget that EVER.

I just wish my Dad had been around to see it happen.  He would have been weeping like a baby.....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

From all that's made public, yes he is.

They did a lot of interviews in his home town of Akron, and the things he's done for the community and for kids have been stellar.

He's a good guy.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Great or not, to do what he did—come back to his hometown solely to bring a title he knew he could bring to a city that wanted it so desperately—is pure civic pride at its finest and most honorable.

One of the amazing "firsts" that came out of last night (other than leading both in teams in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals, first to overcome a 3-1 deficit) is that he is the first Finals MVP to win the award while playing for a team from his home state.  What that means is that this whole "going home/playing for your home team" thing is very rare.  So for him to come back home for the express purpose of breaking a 50+ year old drought...it's just unique.  When I saw him collapse in tears when the game was over, and saying "This is for you Cleveland!", it was confirmation that he absolutely got it.  He was truly one of us.

One thing he has always said is that his favorite city in the world isn't L.A., or Miami, or Paris, or New York...it's rusty old Akron Ohio.  And when he was asked why he's always given that answer, he talked about his very hard upbringing (single mom 16 years old) and how the city just kind of took care of him from a young age.  Even after word started getting out about him early in high school, Akronites wouldn't give national reporters stories about who is father was (even though it's been known in this area), or stories about his mom (quite the piece of work).  They looked out for their kid.  He moved in with one of his youth coaches when he was a fairly young kid because his mom was not exactly a good parent.

The point of all this is that his reason for him loving the city wasn't the nightlife, or partying, or that it was the "cool" place to be from (it isn't).  It's because the city was his family, and it raised him, and took care of him.  Not the government -- just the people.  And that kind of thing is pretty special, and it takes a pretty special young man to truly appreciate it.  I mean, with a poor role model as a mother, no father, and entering the league straight out of high school and instantly making millions of dollars, there's never been a hint of scandal.  No drugs, no hanging around with bad actors...none of it.  Given his circumstances, the kind of man he's become is pretty remarkable.

We're pretty fiercely loyal people up here -- you'd have to be to keep supporting the generally pathetic excuses we've had for sports franchises for the last 50 years, and all the Cleveland jokes.  It's kind of like we all bonded over it as can be seen from myself and @musiclady instantly relating.  So when you're from an area willing to be that loyal, and that is reciprocated by LBJ coming back here expressly to win one for us....We love that guy, and I can say that any guy on this team, even if he didn't play a minute in the finals, will be a hero here for the rest of his life.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:09:40 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

One of the amazing "firsts" that came out of last night (other than leading both in teams in points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals, first to overcome a 3-1 deficit) is that he is the first Finals MVP to win the award while playing for a team from his home state.  What that means is that this whole "going home/playing for your home team" thing is very rare.  So for him to come back home for the express purpose of breaking a 50+ year old drought...it's just unique.  When I saw him collapse in tears when the game was over, and saying "This is for you Cleveland!", it was confirmation that he absolutely got it.  He was truly one of us.

One thing he has always said is that his favorite city in the world isn't L.A., or Miami, or Paris, or New York...it's rusty old Akron Ohio.  And when he was asked why he's always given that answer, he talked about his very hard upbringing (single mom 16 years old) and how the city just kind of took care of him from a young age.  Even after word started getting out about him early in high school, Akronites wouldn't give national reporters stories about who is father was (even though it's been known in this area), or stories about his mom (quite the piece of work).  They looked out for their kid.  He moved in with one of his youth coaches when he was a fairly young kid because his mom was not exactly a good parent.

The point of all this is that his reason for him loving the city wasn't the nightlife, or partying, or that it was the "cool" place to be from (it isn't).  It's because the city was his family, and it raised him, and took care of him.  Not the government -- just the people.  And that kind of thing is pretty special, and it takes a pretty special young man to truly appreciate it.  I mean, with a poor role model as a mother, no father, and entering the league straight out of high school and instantly making millions of dollars, there's never been a hint of scandal.  No drugs, no hanging around with bad actors...none of it.  Given his circumstances, the kind of man he's become is pretty remarkable.

We're pretty fiercely loyal people up here -- you'd have to be to keep supporting the generally pathetic excuses we've had for sports franchises for the last 50 years, and all the Cleveland jokes.  It's kind of like we all bonded over it as can be seen from myself and @musiclady instantly relating.  So when you're from an area willing to be that loyal, and that is reciprocated by LBJ coming back here expressly to win one for us....We love that guy, and I can say that any guy on this team, even if he didn't play a minute in the finals, will be a hero here for the rest of his life.

Beautifully said, @Maj. Bill Martin !  And it expresses what all of us feel.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how very much LeBron, the Cavs, and Cleveland mean to us.  As much as, over the years, a lot of us have tried to steel ourselves and tried not to care, we have cared........year, after year, after year.

I heard several Cleveland announcers talking last night about how, as the game came down to the last seconds, they were thinking, "What's going to happen now to take this away from us?"  and my husband and I both laughed in agreement because that's exactly what we were both thinking.  It can't happen.  We'll lose.  Again.

But we didn't!  I hope you get to the parade on Wednesday, Bill!  It's going to be the best day Cleveland has ever had!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Beautifully said, @Maj. Bill Martin !  And it expresses what all of us feel.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how very much LeBron, the Cavs, and Cleveland mean to us.  As much as, over the years, a lot of us have tried to steel ourselves and tried not to care, we have cared........year, after year, after year.

I heard several Cleveland announcers talking last night about how, as the game came down to the last seconds, they were thinking, "What's going to happen now to take this away from us?"  and my husband and I both laughed in agreement because that's exactly what we were both thinking.  It can't happen.  We'll lose.  Again.

But we didn't!  I hope you get to the parade on Wednesday, Bill!  It's going to be the best day Cleveland has ever had!

I'm going.  Got it all planned out -- staying with my stepson in Lakewood tonight, riding my bike into town to my old firm and locking it up.  I plan on being downtown by 8.  They're underestimating the crowd - they're guessing it will be like St. Patrick's Day.  As if St. Paddy is equally significant to the region as the Championship.  It's going to be over a million, and I'm going to hugging a lot of other sweaty older guys I've never met before in my life.  I'll let you know what it's like.

I'm pretty active on a Cavs' fan site, and the guy who runs it is going to be sending free parade DVD's to the long-time members.  I can burn you a copy when a I get it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:34:08 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline musiclady

I'm going.  Got it all planned out -- staying with my stepson in Lakewood tonight, riding my bike into town to my old firm and locking it up.  I plan on being downtown by 8.  They're underestimating the crowd - they're guessing it will be like St. Patrick's Day.  As if St. Paddy is equally significant to the region as the Championship.  It's going to be over a million, and I'm going to hugging a lot of other sweaty older guys I've never met before in my life.  I'll let you know what it's like.

I'm pretty active on a Cavs' fan site, and the guy who runs it is going to be sending free parade DVD's to the long-time members.  I can burn you a copy when a I get it.

Oh, MAN!  I would LOVE that!!  THANKS!

I'll bet there will be a million people there!  Can't wait for your sweaty report!  :beer: