Author Topic: Anti-Trump Delegates Allege Intimidation  (Read 2233 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Anti-Trump Delegates Allege Intimidation
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:55:14 pm »
So we have what's really happening; intimidation of delegates by Trump, the GOPe and the RNC!! During the primary, there were complaints of Trump thugs intimidating delegates at their hotels. Trump will win the nomination through intimidation. So in essence, all the rhetoric coming from the GOP/RNC that they fear a Trump presidency is nothing more than b.s. only confirming that the Washington cartel doesn't really care if Hillary or Trump gets in; the corruption in Washington will remain status quo. It suits them just fine.

Anti-Trump Republican Delegates Allege 'Intimidation' by Party Leaders

Republicans in multiple states complained Sunday night of "intimidation" tactics from party leaders who they said seemed aimed at preventing a revolt against presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump at the party's convention next month.

A North Carolina delegate said the delegates in her state "are very much under direct threat from our state with a $10,000 fine," adding that she had been "threatened" by the state GOP "vice-president" over Facebook and asked about the possibility of a legal fund being established to defend them.

"I think that that's definitely going to affect very many people who are not going to be willing to step up in front of the committeemen" and contest votes for Trump at the convention, she said.

She also noted that delegates in Arizona are required to sign a pledge committing to vote for Trump or they'll be barred from the convention.

A man who identified himself as a candidate for the statehouse in Arkansas said he had been called a "threat, a coward, a communist" because he refused to support Trump.

Republican Party chairmen in North Carolina and Arizona confirmed to NBC News that their parties do, in fact, have rules barring delegates from voting for any candidate other than the one to whom they're bound.

Former North Carolina GOP Chairman Claude Pope couldn't remember when the rule was passed, while Arizona GOP Chairman Robert Graham — who appeared at a rally with Trump this week in his state — noted that the rule was in place for the last few convention delegations.

The concerns were aired on a 90-plus-minute nationwide conference call hosted by a group of grassroots conservatives hoping to oust Trump at the convention by passing a rule change to allow delegates to vote their consciences.

The call, which organizers said had nearly 1,000 people listening in, was intended as an informational session for convention delegates and other Republicans supportive of the cause.

The organizers of the effort, who are calling themselves "Free the Delegates," acknowledged the threat of a backlash, but they encouraged delegates on the call to "do the right thing, not necessarily the easy thing," as Colorado delegate Regina Thompson, a spokeswoman for the group, put it.

"We want you to be proud to tell your children and grandchildren that the person we have nominated and are ready to elect as president is a moral person who will take seriously the oath of office. Will you be able to tell them that you were not afraid of public opinion or party leaders?" she asked.

Steve Lonegan, a spokesman for Courageous Conservatives PAC, an outside group supporting the effort, said the group is raising money "to provide you support should you be threatened on the state level with some form of retribution."

The PAC also plans to pay for staff and to establish a "command center" at the convention to help whip votes for the rule change and strategize on the convention floor.

Lonegan encouraged Republicans listening in to get the word out by calling in to talk radio, writing letters to the editors of their newspapers and calling their own delegates to encourage them to vote for the change.

It was clear on the call that there was plenty of interest in the effort — but lots of details still to be hammered out.

It's no small task to change Republican National Convention rules — first, 57 of the 112 Rules Committee members must vote in favor; then, a majority of the more than 2,400 delegates at the convention must vote for it.

Trump has dismissed the effort, calling it a "hoax" and "illegal" at a campaign rally Saturday.

Kendal Unruh, a Rules Committee member from Colorado and leader of the effort, told those on the call that if they managed to get it through the Rules Committee, she's confident it'll easily pass.

"It's just kind of an easy sell. And I don't think that there's going to be enough organized resistance on the other side to defeat it," she said.

But the group still has a long way to go. The website it launched Sunday was still missing key information, like state-based contacts and talking points for supportive Republicans hoping to persuade delegates to vote for the change.

The part of the site collecting information from supportive Republicans lacked a "submit" button.

In the question-and-answer session after the call, delegates expressed confusion over conflicting interpretations of the party's rules and the legality of voting against the presumptive nominee.

Lonegan acknowledged that they were starting from scratch.

"This has never been done before, so we're sort of writing the textbook and making calls on how to do it," Lonegan said.

But with four weeks to go, Unruh said, she is confident that there is enough momentum to ensure success.

"I'm just very glad that we've just all come together so quickly, because we have a monumental task to actually accomplish. But I will tell you the momentum that I have seen within the last week — it is just astonishing how fast this has come together," she said.

"We're going to be hitting our peak right at convention time."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/anti-trump-republican-delegates-allege-intimidation-party-leaders-n595351
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Anti-Trump Delegates Allege Intimidation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:13 pm »
Traitors to their States are feeling the pressure... I hope they lose it all and have nothing to go home too for their *******. Vote them out of their offices, boycott their and their family businesses, etc. This is very UN-American what is being pushed here. Most do not approve of it and see it as the Ruling Class protecting itself - nothing good.

Mod edit: You know what you did. No more of it, please.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:05:16 pm by Mod1 »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:34 pm »
Traitors to their States are feeling the pressure... I hope they lose it all and have nothing to go home too for their ********Vote them out of their offices, boycott their and their family businesses, etc. This is very UN-American what is being pushed here. Most do not approve of it and see it as the Ruling Class protecting itself - nothing good.

Are  you looking for even more folks to add you to their Ignore list?

Has repeating that ********bilge won  you any converts yet?

bilge water

Word Origin

noun
Nautical. bilge (def 1d).
Also called bilge. Slang. foolish, worthless, or offensive talk or ideas; nonsense; rubbish.

edit to add: I believe the owners have asked us to not use the term I bolded. (In case you missed the memo.)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:08:38 pm by Mod1 »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:44:33 pm »
Traitors to their States are feeling the pressure... I hope they lose it all and have nothing to go home too for their pro-Hillary treason. Vote them out of their offices, boycott their and their family businesses, etc. This is very UN-American what is being pushed here. Most do not approve of it and see it as the Ruling Class protecting itself - nothing good.

Grass root conservatives fighting against the dreaded GOP elite leadership and asking for a rule change which would allow them to vote their conscience is now "UN-American" and treason which should be punished?

P.S. You may be confused as to who exactly the Ruling Class is in this scenario.

It's certainly NOT those grass root conservatives.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:55:22 pm by Mod1 »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline thatcher

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:59:23 pm »
quote]

Thuggish, threatening, intimidation -- to be expected from his supporters.  They realize that he is imploding and now it will get really ugly. *********
The delegates are prepared and won't be cowed by the likes of them.

Mod edit: All have been asked to refrain from Nazi / fascist imagery and personal accusation of such.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:07:52 pm by Mod1 »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »
Hey Mods.

It's OK to call grass root conservatives "pro-Hillary" traitors and suggest punitive actions against them for being conservatives trying to vote their conscience, but not OkK to identify those people acting in the manner of Fascists, as being well, the "F" word?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »
Grass root conservatives fighting against the dreaded GOP elite leadership and asking for a rule change which would allow them to vote their conscience is now "UN-American" and treason which should be punished?

P.S. You may be confused as to who exactly the Ruling Class is in this scenario.

It's certainly NOT those grass root conservatives.
Grass root conservatives my ass. All Political animals sucking at the Govt teat.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 04:10:16 pm »
Par for the course at Trumpville.  They were already threatened by Trumps people, so this is just piling on. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 04:10:48 pm »
Traitors to their States are feeling the pressure... I hope they lose it all and have nothing to go home too for their *******. Vote them out of their offices, boycott their and their family businesses, etc.[/b[ This is very UN-American what is being pushed here. Most do not approve of it and see it as the Ruling Class protecting itself - nothing good.

Mod edit: You know what you did. No more of it, please.

Thuggish, mob-like talk.  I guess it's OK here to DIRECTLY THREATEN PEOPLE!

The Trump people have to realize that there is going to be a revolt at the Convention.  It may not succeed, but it will show the rest of the American public that Republicans are not united behind Trump and, in fact, want somebody else, ANYBODY ELSE, but this cretin.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 04:11:09 pm »
Par for the course at Trumpville.  They were already threatened by Trumps people, so this is just piling on.
You lost, no redos.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:41 pm »

Offline Mod1

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 04:18:06 pm »
Hey Mods.

It's OK to call grass root conservatives "pro-Hillary" traitors and suggest punitive actions against them for being conservatives trying to vote their conscience, but not OkK to identify those people acting in the manner of Fascists, as being well, the "F" word?

Both terms should avoided as forms of address. Is THAT clear enough?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:52 pm »
Both terms should avoided as forms of address. Is THAT clear enough?

Can we still say "Ialamic terrorits" or is that verboten as well?

Offline livius

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 04:25:47 pm »
Thuggish, mob-like talk.  I guess it's OK here to DIRECTLY THREATEN PEOPLE!

Kinda reminds me of FR - I couldn't believe the way the Trumpsters tried to shut up anyone who even murmured against their idol.

That said, I occasionally look in at the board (I'm banned, of course) and I see now that every story posted about anything anywhere in the world is immediately brought back to The subject of Trump -m" how will this affect him, boy, I bet he'd show those ***, this is all happening because of Trump, etc. "  They are obsessed with him and their mental projections on him. But in reality, he's regarded as a bad joke by the rest of the world and certainly world events are not revolving around Mr. Orange.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 06:25:45 pm »
The concerns were aired on a 90-plus-minute nationwide conference call hosted by a group of grassroots conservatives hoping to oust Trump at the convention by passing a rule change to allow delegates to vote their consciences.

Pretty sure that NBC is misrepresenting the effort.  It's not a matter of "voting their conscience," in the sense of letting them vote for whomever they wish on the first ballot.  That would un-bind delegates and cause a host of legal issues.

Rather, it's a rule to let people abstain from voting on the first ballot if doing so would violate their conscience.  The rules generally say you can't vote for somebody else ... which abstainers would not be doing.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 06:26:44 pm »
Can we still say "Ialamic terrorits" or is that verboten as well?

I, for one, welcome our Ialamic overlords....  ;-P

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
Pretty sure that NBC is misrepresenting the effort.  It's not a matter of "voting their conscience," in the sense of letting them vote for whomever they wish on the first ballot.  That would un-bind delegates and cause a host of legal issues.

Rather, it's a rule to let people abstain from voting on the first ballot if doing so would violate their conscience.  The rules generally say you can't vote for somebody else ... which abstainers would not be doing.
If they cannot faithfully discharge their pledge to the people of their State the only honorable thing for them to do is resign.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 06:34:14 pm »
"For those arguing the delegates have no business overruling primary voters . . . What are delegates for if not to avert a disaster like this? If they aren’t there to use their judgment and conscience, we might as well replace them with programmable robots."

Offline r9etb

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:35:34 pm »
If they cannot faithfully discharge their pledge to the people of their State the only honorable thing for them to do is resign.

Lemmings do such things.  But in times where the future of the nation is at stake, free men and women do not.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 06:41:03 pm »
Lemmings do such things.  But in times where the future of the nation is at stake, free men and women do not.

This particular poster doesn't much believe in the concept of "freedom."  He's more into intimidation, and I'm sure is cheering on the efforts to remove the consciences of delegates who just can't vote for a Democrat thug.

Abstain, then vote with your conscience.  Obey the rules, and get rid of Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

geronl

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:56 pm »

So much for being the outsiders, now standing up against the establishment makes you a traitor to the state!

Round them up, Comrades, these traitors to the state. :chairbang:

Offline r9etb

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 06:47:13 pm »
This particular poster doesn't much believe in the concept of "freedom."  He's more into intimidation, and I'm sure is cheering on the efforts to remove the consciences of delegates who just can't vote for a Democrat thug.

It's a bit harsh to say he doesn't "believe in the concept of freedom." 

But he is certainly an ardent Trump supporter, and his verbiage is unfortunately Donaldian.

Perhaps we can agree that @Mechanicos has simply let Trump's enthusiasm for the loudly-spoken insult get to him.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 08:12:56 pm »
It's a bit harsh to say he doesn't "believe in the concept of freedom." 

But he is certainly an ardent Trump supporter, and his verbiage is unfortunately Donaldian.

Perhaps we can agree that @Mechanicos has simply let Trump's enthusiasm for the loudly-spoken insult get to him.

Sometimes the truth is "a bit harsh."

The guy is calling delegates who exercise their freedom "traitors."

He has called those of us who can't in good conscience vote for a vulgar Democrat thug all kinds of nasty names.

He wants those of us who don't support Trump to shut up, and tries to bully us on a daily basis.

He doesn't value freedom, r9....... yours, mine, or the delegates following the rules of the Convention. 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
Sometimes the truth is "a bit harsh."

The guy is calling delegates who exercise their freedom "traitors."

He has called those of us who can't in good conscience vote for a vulgar Democrat thug all kinds of nasty names.

(Yes I noticed the stark irony in your third sentence ... but)   Here's your most delicate sign .... 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »
    "For those arguing the delegates have no business overruling primary voters . . . What are delegates for if not to avert a disaster like this? If they aren’t there to use their judgment and conscience, we might as well replace them with programmable robots."

Good point.  I didn't see this in the original story but you have it in quotes.  Who said it?