Author Topic: Trump in the Dumps...Maureen Dowd  (Read 735 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump in the Dumps...Maureen Dowd
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:29:02 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/opinion/sunday/trump-in-the-dumps.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Trump in the Dumps

Maureen Dowd JUNE 18, 2016

Washington — HE won’t pivot. So I have to.

Having seen Donald Trump as a braggadocious but benign celebrity in New York for decades, I did not regard him as the apotheosis of evil. He seemed more like a toon, a cocky huckster swanning around Gotham with a statuesque woman on his arm and skyscrapers stamped with his brand. I certainly never would have predicted that the Trump name would be uttered in the same breath as Hitler, Mussolini and scary menace, even on such pop culture staples as “The Bachelorette.”

Trump jumped into the race with an eruption of bigotry, ranting about Mexican rapists and a Muslim ban. But privately, he assured people that these were merely opening bids in the negotiation; that he was really the same pragmatic New Yorker he had always been; that he would be a flexible, wheeling-and-dealing president, not a crazy nihilist like Ted Cruz or a mean racist like George Wallace. He yearned to be compared to Ronald Reagan, a former TV star who overcame a reputation for bellicosity and racial dog whistles to become the most beloved Republican president of modern times.

more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump in the Dumps...Maureen Dowd
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:18:56 am »
Mo's back on the sauce.   **nononono*

Offline mountaineer

Re: Trump in the Dumps...Maureen Dowd
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 11:27:18 am »
When Trump pulled back the curtain on how Washington Republicans had been stringing their voters along for years with bold promises, like repealing Obamacare, that they knew had no chance, it was a rare opportunity to see them called out.
She's right about one thing. But then she returns to her usual hysterical incoherence:
His obnoxious use of ethnicity only exposed the fact that Republicans had been using bigotry against minorities and gays to whip up voters for decades. The G.O.P. would love to drop Trump now because it prefers a candidate in the party’s more subtle racist traditions.

Okay, maybe she's right - or almost right - about two things:
But like Dan Quayle and Sarah Palin, Trump refused to study up on policy. So he has been unable to marry his often canny political instincts with some actual knowledge.
Except Quayle and Palin may have had a better grasp on the issues.

Now I have to take a shower for coming even a little bit close to agreeing slightly with something this crazy person has said. Ewww.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org