Author Topic: American cuts his own throat in Taiwan courtroom after hearing 4-year sentence  (Read 268 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
He had enough to be trafficking and only got 4 years?

American cuts his own throat in Taiwan courtroom after hearing 4-year sentence

An American man committed suicide in a Taiwanese courtroom after he was sentenced to four years in prison.

Tyrel Martin Marhanka, 41, had lived in Taiwan for more than 15 years and had a Taiwanese wife and two young children. He was arrested in April last year on drug charges after police found more than 200 cannabis plants, 195 dried cannabis plants and 10 opium poppies at his home, the Taipei Times reported.

On Thursday morning, he was sentenced to four years in prison for possession of marijuana. A translator relayed the sentence, to which Marhanka replied, "four years?" The translator told him he could appeal the decision, but Marhanka, becoming agitated said "I don't want to appeal. I don't want to live anymore."

He then took out two metal objects, and stabbed himself on both sides of the neck. According to the Taipei Times, he severed his arteries and gushed blood. Marhanka was rushed to a hospital, but was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.

More At: http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2016/06/american_commits_suicide_in_taiwan_court_room_sentencing.html

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Wow.  He seriously didn't want go to prison.
Former Republican.

Offline LadyLiberty

Other reports say that he used scissors.  How did he get them into the courtroom?  They also said they went light on him (could have been 7 years), but since he wasn't selling it, the sentence was reduced.  That's a lot of plants for personal use.  I also find it odd that he had been there that long and still needed a translator. 

Offline Suppressed

Other reports say that he used scissors.  How did he get them into the courtroom?  They also said they went light on him (could have been 7 years), but since he wasn't selling it, the sentence was reduced.  That's a lot of plants for personal use.  I also find it odd that he had been there that long and still needed a translator.

This report explains how. Smuggled through metal detector.

I'd have a translator in a court setting!  He was an English teacher.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.