Author Topic: Donald Trump Accused of Using His Charity as a Political Slush Fund  (Read 860 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE DAILY BEAST

URL: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/16/donald-trump-accused-of-using-his-charity-as-a-political-slush-fund.html

by: Tim Mak

EXCERPT ONLY, CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

When the presumptive GOP nominee doled out money to veterans’ groups over the past few months, he did so using the Trump Foundation—which, according to FEC and IRS rules, should not be engaged in political activity.

The Trump Foundation, Donald Trump’s nonprofit organization, is under fire for allegedly operating as more of a political slush fund than a charity. The foundation is accused of violating rules prohibiting it from

engaging in politics—prompting ethics watchdogs to call for public investigations.
On numerous occasions this year, Trump’s campaign work and his foundation work have overlapped—putting himself at risk for penalties and his charity at risk of being shut down.

It’s the latest example of Trump courting controversy: not merely through inflammatory rhetoric, but also through private dealings that raise serious legal questions—all of which indicate how he might govern if elected president of the United States.

Trump is listed as the president of the foundation in the charity’s annual disclosures, and his children Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump are all listed as directors. Foundations like theirs are exempt from paying taxes, and as such are barred from engaging in political causes.

“A 501(c)(3) [nonprofit organization], like the Trump Foundation, is strictly prohibited from engaging in political activity. On its tax forms, the Foundation told the IRS that it does not,” said Jordan Libowitz, a spokesman for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW).

But in key early primary states this year, Trump handed out Foundation checks to charities at campaign rallies. This also calls into question “whether the foundation provided the campaign with an illegal in-kind contribution by providing services for what was a campaign event. Under the campaign finance laws… providing anything of value to a campaign for free or at less than fair market value is a contribution to the campaign,” said Larry Noble, the general counsel at the Campaign Legal Center.

And in 2013, the Trump Foundation donated $25,000 to a political organization supporting Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi—an action the foundation is prohibited from taking, and which it failed to report on its disclosures.

The Trump campaign blamed this failure on clerical mistakes, but legal experts are sounding the alarm because at the time Bondi was reviewing complaints surrounding the businessman’s controversial Trump University project.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: Donald Trump Accused of Using His Charity as a Political Slush Fund
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:09:11 pm »
Laws?  We don't need no stinkin' laws!  Anyway, laws are for LOSERS!

- Welcome to the dictatorship.
Former Republican.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 07:22:48 pm »
Where have we heard this before? ::cough:: Clinton Foundation ::cough cough::

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:01:51 pm »
bookmark

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 12:02:30 am »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 01:39:25 am »
Where have we heard this before? ::cough:: Clinton Foundation ::cough cough::

Didn't a certain candidate give to the ::cough:: Clinton Foundation ::cough:: ::cough::
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

geronl

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 05:44:50 am »

Didn't a certain candidate give to the ::cough:: Clinton Foundation ::cough:: ::cough::

I wish people would donate to me, but I don't want to catch their cough... seems contagious

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:25 am »
I wish people would donate to me, but I don't want to catch their cough... seems contagious

If I did the same thing that Clinton and Trump did, I would be in jail.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »

Ah, come on. According to a certain candidate he's donated to all kinds of people. ::cough:: ::cough::
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:02:47 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 12:44:04 pm »
If I did the same thing that Clinton and Trump did, I would be in jail.

If anyone did anything anywhere close to what Hillary has done, in terms of selling the influence of the United States Secretary of State openly on the global market to the highest bidder, they would have been in prison years ago.

If anyone did anything anywhere close to what Hillary did to deliberately and with intent circumvent the cyber security system of the Federal Government so as to render herself untraceable and unaccountable as the United States Secretary of State, they would have been in prison years ago, they would still be there today, and they would be prohibited from any Federal position whatsoever.

But, alas, that was in the era back before Obama. That would only happen back in the long gone era in America where the term 'against the Law' meant something. Those days are gone now. Washington D.C. has become the wild, wild, west, where laws are made up, ignored, and changed on the spot depending on who committed the crime and who is adjudicating it, and essentially, anything goes as long as you spread the wealth around.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.