Author Topic: The Orlando Massacre: Why Guns and Christians are Responsible  (Read 230 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
The Orlando Massacre: Why Guns and Christians are Responsible

by Stephen Turley

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/2016/06/orlando-massacre-guns-christians-responsible.html

Given the rather obvious nature of this terror attack, why would anyone blame guns and conservative Christians, and why would this blame have any plausibility to it? Why does our society find it so difficult to blame radical jihadists for the murders they commit?

I think the key to understanding this incoherence can be found in what scholars call a “risk society,” which refers to the unique ways in which modern people deal with hazards and insecurities as they relate to the future. There are two reasons for why we moderns are unique in the way we handle potential threats and hazards:

First, we are more reliant on scientific and technological processes in our day-to-day living than any previous society. Science and technology have penetrated into virtually every aspect of our lives, from the moment we wake up to a digital alarm and turn on our lights, to making our cup of coffee and microwaving our breakfasts, to driving to work to sitting at a computer sending out emails and texts on our smart phones.

However, secondly, this technological age comes at a cost: technology-based societies tend to reject traditional moral conceptions of life. This is because technology is organized and governed by modern scientific processes which are considered value neutral and thus devoid of moral frames of reference. So, in many respects, we are living in what we might call a “post-traditional” or “post-moral age.” Indeed, this is why we have LGBT values, which are not found in traditional moral societies, in the first place.

And so, these scientific and technological processes have opened up to us a whole new future of unprecedented possibilities and potentialities, but without the aid of traditional morality to guide us into this brave new world.

So now that we are in this post-moral, post-traditional society, the question is: Whom do we blame when massacres like Orlando occur? Post-moral societies basically have two options: They can blame material and environmental factors or they can blame the previous moral tradition that once dominated society but is now reinterpreted as inherently oppressive.

exc -worth a full read

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The Orlando Massacre: Why Guns and Christians are Responsible
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:05:31 pm »
I have to admit when I read the headline, I thought "Why does this guy writing about guns and Christians to fight off alligators?"

Then I realized you were talking about another Orlando incident, not the toddler who got killed by a gator.

My sympathies are with both, but I really feel for those poor parents who were apparently betrayed by Disney's peaceful family setup that was in reality a dangerous one.

being in a nightclub in the wee hours comes with a bit more risk exposure to it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington