Author Topic: Question: Does anyone remember a KGB study of an invasion of the continental USA?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Just_Victor

I've been looking for a reference to something I distinctly remember following the fall of the USSR.  The files from the KGB were released to the public, and someone found a study looking at what would be required to invade the continental USA.  The conclusion of the study was that it was not feasible due to the number of firearms in the hands of private citizens.

I can't find any references to it online, but my brain is a stickler for details like that.  I know I read it.  Does anyone else recall or have a reference to this?
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I've been looking for a reference to something I distinctly remember following the fall of the USSR.  The files from the KGB were released to the public, and someone found a study looking at what would be required to invade the continental USA.  The conclusion of the study was that it was not feasible due to the number of firearms in the hands of private citizens.

I can't find any references to it online, but my brain is a stickler for details like that.  I know I read it.  Does anyone else recall or have a reference to this?

No, I don't have a link, but they were the Venona papers.

Offline Just_Victor

No, I don't have a link, but they were the Venona papers.

Thanks.  That's a better starting point for a Google search than I was using.  Still not turning up what I remember though.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
If you are trying to find, what I think you might be trying to find you may want to look into the Japese stratgey in WWII.

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Is atrributed to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, but it appears he probally didn't actually say that.

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Just_Victor

If you are trying to find, what I think you might be trying to find you may want to look into the Japese stratgey in WWII.

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Is atrributed to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, but it appears he probally didn't actually say that.

Thanks, my search did find that one, but as you say, it's not a verifiable statement.  And yes I am looking for the info to defend the need for the 2nd Amendment.  Which is probably why info on the KGB study has been scrubbed from the search engines.  :tinfoil:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Just_Victor , I seem to remember that you could download at least a portion of the papers at one time.  Were you able to find anything like that?

Offline Just_Victor

@Just_Victor , I seem to remember that you could download at least a portion of the papers at one time.  Were you able to find anything like that?

I haven't seen anything like that in my searches.  I'll have to look in more detail tonight. 

Offline Just_Victor

@Sanguine this looks like it.

https://archive.org/details/thevenonafiles

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Glad you found it and thanks for sharing.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Just_Victor

Glad you found it and thanks for sharing.

The only problem is these are all declassified US documents.  What I was looking for was a KGB or Kremlin study from the USSR.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yes, thanks for sharing.

So, the original files were in Russian I think.  Does that help in the search?

Offline Just_Victor

Yes, thanks for sharing.

So, the original files were in Russian I think.  Does that help in the search?

I'll have to try again when I have time.  Searches in English turn up nothing.  I assume that I'll need to translate my search into Russian?  Cyrillic even?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:18:08 pm by Just_Victor »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'll have to try again when I have time.  I assume that I'll need to translate my search into Russian?  Cyrillic even?

Perhaps.  I just don't know. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sounds like something that would be in the Mitrokhin haul, or Lunev's testimony to Congress. Two other starting points for you.  :beer:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Somebody should tell Putin that Red Dawn is only a movie.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Just_Victor

Sounds like something that would be in the Mitrokhin haul, or Lunev's testimony to Congress. Two other starting points for you.  :beer:

Thanks.  I'll keep looking.