Author Topic: App stores and Linux repositories: Maybe the worst ideas ever  (Read 671 times)

Offline ShadowAce

From Network World (http://www.networkworld.com/article/3082656/open-source-tools/app-stores-and-linux-repositories-maybe-the-worst-ideas-ever.html):

Eight years ago, Nokia released a Linux-powered tablet dubbed the N810. It’s a very cool little device, with a rather pleasant-to-use slide-out keyboard, running a Debian-based distribution known as Maemo.

That little tablet went everywhere with me. At one point I—no joke— owned two of them. I could do some pretty remarkable things with that little beauty—from making Skype calls (back when I still used Skype) to running a full-blown version of Gimp. It was a complete, powerful desktop computer in my pocket.

Recently, I decide to dust off my trusty old N810 to use it again. It’s a Linux-based computer, so why not. Right?

I plugged the little guy in to charge it up, and I quickly came to a horrible realization:

The repositories for software (including system updates) were simply—gone. Nokia deleted them some time back. That means I have a perfectly usable device here—on which it is close to impossible install most of the previously available software.

Read the rest here-- http://www.networkworld.com/article/3082656/open-source-tools/app-stores-and-linux-repositories-maybe-the-worst-ideas-ever.html

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Unlimited
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:41:52 pm by AbaraXas »

Online roamer_1

Re: App stores and Linux repositories: Maybe the worst ideas ever
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:40:47 pm »
@ShadowAce - it looks like half the names on your pinglist didn't recognize... maybe there's a limit-per-line, or something preventing them lighting up??

Dunno.
Somethin'.

Good article, btw... I was just wondering the same thing about this wrt Win, now that SP's are a thing of the past...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
Excerpted.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:42:52 pm »
@ShadowAce - it looks like half the names on your pinglist didn't recognize... maybe there's a limit-per-line, or something preventing them lighting up??

Dunno.
Somethin'.

Good article, btw... I was just wondering the same thing about this wrt Win, now that SP's are a thing of the past...

It seemed to correct itself when I excerpted the article. It may have to do with permissions for number of pings based on user level. I'll check that out.

Offline ShadowAce

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:05:38 pm »
I'll check that out.
Thanks for checking on that!

geronl

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 07:41:15 pm »
That is an issue worth thinking about.