Author Topic: Understanding the political moment (Venezuela )  (Read 206 times)

geronl

Understanding the political moment (Venezuela )
« on: June 15, 2016, 01:21:28 am »
http://daniel-venezuela.blogspot.com/2016/06/june-political-moment-venezuela.html#more

EXCERPT
I have been back for two weeks now and events are just unfolding too fast for me to write about them, considering the depression that arises from coming back to what has become a hell hole. Let's just order our thoughts together, shall we?

One way is to look at the main hard data and its effects. The reader on its own will be able to draw the general picture after the fact.

Jail for you

The driving force in this mega crisis is that under the concept of world justice and transparency a few dozens of the higher up in the regime know they will never be able to find peace and solace once out of office. Their fate for them is jail, tomorrow, in a decade, it does not matter. If they do not die first they will end up in jail. They know that.

See, they have stolen too much money, abused too many human rights, played too much on the drug traffic front. They are doomed and thus under no circumstance they can surrender power. Period. They will do what it takes to remain in office. Whatever. Second period.

I am not asking you to understand this, I am asking you to get this. If you do not get the implications of the above you cannot make sense of what is going on in Venezuela these days. Might as well stop reading now.

This seems right on the money.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Understanding the political moment (Venezuela )
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:44:33 am »
Thanks for the update.

Something that has struck me is that at least, since the year 2000, Caracas has been on the list of cities with the most murders.

This usually signifies organized crime and yes, I'm well aware we have our own problems here but this is indeed about Venezuela.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Understanding the political moment (Venezuela )
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:10:09 am »
We have a number of close friends in the local Venezuelan ex-pat community here locally.  My wife is an accountant and has developed a number of business contacts in that group over the years, among very good business people who fled their native country, salvaging what they could, and starting over from scratch here in the United States.  All of these people are now citizens, and have done it the hard way, over years.  These are good people, all of whom still have extended family in the country who cannot leave.  The stories we hear about what is going on down there are horrifying, and things are getting worse on a daily basis.

Venezuela is on the razor's edge of total collapse and I fear it will mean a lot of deaths.