Author Topic: Trump: I'm revoking 'dishonest' Washington Post's credentials  (Read 2504 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump: I'm revoking 'dishonest' Washington Post's credentials
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 06:20:47 pm »
This is not the 1860's, and there's no way the Supreme Court would let either of those things stand for a moment.  Nor does Trump have anything close to the necessary institutional support to simply ignore court decisions even if he was inclined to do so.

Trump may be a know-nothing who says a lot of stupid things, and is either ignorant or simply doesn't care about many of the core principles of this country.  But as President, he's going to be subject to a lot of constraints that I think some folks are deliberately overlooking simply because of the "he's gonna be the next Mussolini" meme.

None of that has stopped Obama.   The list of examples is quite long.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 06:25:07 pm »
I believe in freedom of the press, but the Washington Post deserves this. They are not objective. They currently have a team of 24 reporters working on basically destroying Trump. They churn out hit pieces like a baker bakes up cookies. Their articles are either full on hit pieces or Trump taken out of context to be dishonest. I wouldn't care about the former if they did hit pieces like that on Hillary, but they don't.

Apparently you don't or only when they agree with your idol.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 06:36:06 pm »
I believe in freedom of the press, but the Washington Post deserves this. They are not objective. They currently have a team of 24 reporters working on basically destroying Trump. They churn out hit pieces like a baker bakes up cookies. Their articles are either full on hit pieces or Trump taken out of context to be dishonest. I wouldn't care about the former if they did hit pieces like that on Hillary, but they don't.

Just what were your comments here on TBR when the National Enquirer broke that sleazy story on the Ted Cruz affairs? While the rest of us were critical of the story, the paper, and its owner's close ties to Trump, were you coming to their defense and shouting Freedom of The Press?   The Washington Post is a Liberal Newspaper without a doubt, and will spin stories to favor their agenda - but it is not the National Enquirer - friend and ally of Donald Trump.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:38:27 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 06:38:48 pm »
Maybe I have just missed it, but I haven't noticed anyone condemning Trump for saying it.  The complaint I see (or at least it is my complaint) is that he said it and then revokes WaPo's press credentials for reporting it.  You can't have it both ways.

I detest Trump but agree with him on this one.   IMO this is exactly what Obama knows will happen.   He either wants it to happen or is willing to accept the causalities to further his agenda.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 06:42:57 pm »
I detest Trump but agree with him on this one.   IMO this is exactly what Obama knows will happen.   He either wants it to happen or is willing to accept the causalities to further his agenda.

Yes, that's what I think too, about Obama.  And I believe that is exactly what Trump meant when he said what he did.  So why get all bent when a paper reports it that way?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 06:46:09 pm »
Yes, that's what I think too, about Obama.  And I believe that is exactly what Trump meant when he said what he did.  So why get all bent when a paper reports it that way?

Hasn't he attacked WP reporters before?   Was the guy who asked "is that how you're going to handle press conferences in the white house?" a WP reporter?     He doesn't like being asked tough questions.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »

Right there is the difference between what Trump said, and the initial WP headline.  The initial WP headline is "wants it to happen".  What Trump actually said could easily be just "willing to accept the casualties" to further his agenda.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 06:51:47 pm »
Right there is the difference between what Trump said, and the initial WP headline.  The initial WP headline is "wants it to happen".  What Trump actually said could easily be just "willing to accept the casualties" to further his agenda.

Yes, but here we are playing "could" again.  It could also be just as WaPo wrote the headline.  Trump's words leave a lot of room for interpretation.  Perhaps he should speak more carefully.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 07:19:36 pm »
Yes, but here we are playing "could" again.  It could also be just as WaPo wrote the headline.  Trump's words leave a lot of room for interpretation.  Perhaps he should speak more carefully.

That's logically backward -- it drew a specific conclusion from a general statement.  ff a headline is going to be accurate, it must be sufficiently non-specific that it doesn't accuse someone of saying something that they did not actually say.  Saying that something "could have been" what was meant doesn't justify claiming that is what was actually meant.

If I say "I've got a surprise up my sleeve", and the headline reports "Maj. Martin claims he has a gun up his sleeve", that's inaccurate reporting, even if it is possible that I was referring to a gun.  If Trump says "I'm going to take action against ISIS", and someone reports that as "Trump promises to drop a nuke on Raqqa", that's false reporting even if the headling "could be" what Trump was referencing.

Bottom line is that if the WaPo thought its headline was okay, it would have defended it as accurate rather than changed it within an hour.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:26:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »
That's logically backward -- it drew a specific conclusion from a general statement.  ff a headline is going to be accurate, it must be sufficiently non-specific that it doesn't accuse someone of saying something that they did not actually say. 

If I say "I've got a surprise up my sleeve", and the headline reports "Maj. Martin claims he has a gun up his sleeve", that's inaccurate reporting, even if it is possible that I was referring to a gun.  If Trump says "I'm going to take action against ISIS", and someone reports that as "Trump promises to drop a nuke on Raqqa", that's false reporting even if the headling "could be" what Trump was referencing.

Bottom line is that if the WaPo thought its headline was okay, it would have defended it as accurate rather than changed it within an hour.

Perhaps my confusion is that the headline that I posted in my first comment wasn't the original title and I did not realize that it had been changed.

"Donald Trump seems to connect President Obama to Orlando shooting"  Not the original title?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:26:52 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 07:29:17 pm »
Perhaps my confusion is that the headline that I posted in my first comment wasn't the original title and I did not realize that it had been changed.

"Donald Trump seems to connect President Obama to Orlando shooting"  Not the original title?

The original title was:

Donald Trump suggests President Obama was involved with Orlando shooting."

"Seems to connect" is much more passive than "was involved with".  I'd certainly "connect" Obama with the shooting.  But I'd never claim he was involved with it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:30:42 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 07:32:40 pm »
Pretty soon all that will be allowed at a Trump presser is Fox News...Breitbart and Sean Hannity.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 07:37:01 pm »
The original title was:

Donald Trump suggests President Obama was involved with Orlando shooting."

"Seems to connect" is much more passive than "was involved with".  I'd certainly "connect" Obama with the shooting.  But I'd never claim he was involved with it.

Thank you for clarifying that for me.  I see why they thought they should change it.  I see you said they changed it within an hour, but is there a timeframe for when they changed it versus when Trump then were notified of Trump revoking their credentials?  I can understand calling them out on the original headline.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 07:42:35 pm »
Sounds like a POTUS Trump would like only a American version of Pravda to exist. 

This orange living breathing gaffe machine is imploding fast.  Maybe he can finish himself off by the convention.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 07:43:04 pm »
"The Washington Post is not the first outlet to be banned by the Trump campaign; others include Politico, BuzzFeed, The Huffington Post, The Daily Beast, The Des Moines Register, the [New Hampshire] Union Leader, Univision and Fusion."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/06/13/trump-washington-post-banned-list/85842316/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 07:48:33 pm »
Thank you for clarifying that for me.  I see why they thought they should change it.  I see you said they changed it within an hour, but is there a timeframe for when they changed it versus when Trump then were notified of Trump revoking their credentials?  I can understand calling them out on the original headline.

I'm not sure of that, to be honest.  But I can sort of see the point.  Printing a bad headline and then later changing it doesn't undue the damage.  If this is the campaign's way of saying "don't do this kind of thing again", and then lifts it in a week or two, I don't see much of a problem with it.  Might even have some benefit.

My point is that I'm not as upset with the "ban" as some others, namely because even with "the ban", the WaPo remains perfectly free to say whatever they want about the guy.  He's just not giving them front seat access to his events.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:42 pm »
I'm not sure of that, to be honest.  But I can sort of see the point.  Printing a bad headline and then later changing it doesn't undue the damage.  If this is the campaign's way of saying "don't do this kind of thing again", and then lifts it in a week or two, I don't see much of a problem with it.  Might even have some benefit.

My point is that I'm not as upset with the "ban" as some others, namely because even with "the ban", the WaPo remains perfectly free to say whatever they want about the guy.  He's just not giving them front seat access to his events.

Certainly with everything anyone says anymore being posted to YouTube within 15 minutes of saying it they won't be missing out on much.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2016, 07:55:17 pm »
Political Correctness as Stealth Marxism

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,211769.0.html

Come to the Worldview Formation / Anthropology board and let's dig into the matter of PC.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:07 pm »

I can tell you from my own experience (I was a newspaper guy for a few years in the late 1980s-early 1990s, small city/
regional dailies) that most of the time, even at lesser papers than the Post, there's a separate headline writer from
the writers who actually dig up and write the stories. I used to try to push to get the more accurate headlines to the
stories I wrote and 99 percent of the time someone else would be writing the final headlines, and sometimes the headlines
weren't exactly what the meat of the story was trying to say. Often enough I had to explain that to people who saw
the headline, read something considerably different in the story, and ask what the hell I was thinking. Not fun.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.