Author Topic: Trump: I'm revoking 'dishonest' Washington Post's credentials  (Read 2503 times)

Offline livius

Re: Trump: I'm revoking 'dishonest' Washington Post's credentials
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 02:56:18 am »
Banning the press in a campaign is like going on strike when you work for yourself. Idea may be appealing but the result is never as intended.

Another sign of Trump's sheer lack of understanding of the process and also how he looks to anyone except the faithful. Of course he's going to have some hostile press - everybody does, and banning them neither makes them friendlier not prevents them from writing even more scorching stories about him. All candidates, with the possible exception of Obama, have had some hostile press and it simply goes with the territory.

If they're lying or distorting, correct them; if they're telling the truth (because it is actually quite easy to find genuine dirt on Trump), figure out a way to respond to it. But the immature and very leftist stunt of kicking out people who, in Trump's childish phrase, are "mean" to him is absolutely unacceptable from a US politician. Maybe he should run for president of Venezuela.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 03:38:16 am »
Trump: I'm revoking 'dishonest' Washington Post's credentials

What did the WaPo say that was dishonest?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 04:10:25 am »
It's Trump's reverence for the 1st Amendment that comforts me when I think about the upcoming SCOTUS nominees.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 05:47:56 am »
So Trump will create his own Praetorian Media as opposed to using the one the Left uses.

Freedom of the press is important.  Donald can't just stop the Washington Post from covering him because he says so.

If you stop all criticism of a candidate you have ...... Free Republic.com
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 05:50:25 am »
Is that ever true!    And we have people who think this guy is the cat's ass!!!

I thought that was the Cat's Pajamas???
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:53 am »

If they're lying or distorting, correct them; if they're telling the truth (because it is actually quite easy to find genuine dirt on Trump), figure out a way to respond to it. But the immature and very leftist stunt of kicking out people who, in Trump's childish phrase, are "mean" to him is absolutely unacceptable from a US politician. Maybe he should run for president of Venezuela.

As a former reporter, let me clarify a few things.

Trump banning the WAPO isn't a bad idea IF he goes to the wall with it. He has to be willing to single them out and destroy them to their core, including private dicks unearthing every instance of their flatly falsifying news, their private lives...all of it. Because when you endeavor to kill a King, you best make sure that he's dead.

However, he will not go to the wall because WAPO will simply send an intern to rifle their files and have enough in 3 hours to end his candidacy and likely launch several RICO lawsuits from his shafted creditors.

This is why every pol in DC caters to the press. They all have easily discovered records/info and it costs them nothing to make story after story about each little thing they find.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 06:32:24 am »
What did the WaPo say that was dishonest?

It couldn't have been that they've called him a bottom-crawling government teat-sucking adulterous
flim-flamboyant hustler who knows how to game the system and no few of his investors while
pointing the way to wisdom by taking positions diametrically opposed to it before changing his mind
and taking positions diametrically opposed to those while saying they're not really policy plans but
mere suggestions.

Because all that saying all that would prove was that the Post's editorial board had read
all his memoirs.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 03:38:31 pm »
::Flashback::

Unprecedented: White House Tries to Ban Fox from Press Pool

Today the White House stepped up its attack on Fox News, announcing that the network would no longer be able to conduct interviews with officials as a member of the Press Pool. The Pool is a five-member group consisting of ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC organized by the White House Correspondents Association. Its membership is not subject to oversight by the government.

Before an interview with "Pay Czar" Kenneth Feinberg, the administration announced that Fox News would be banned from the press pool. This marks the first time in history that an administration had attempted to ban an entire network from the press pool.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/10/obama-administration-tries-to-ban-fox.html

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
And unlike candidate Trump, who is still a private citizen and therefore incapable of violating the First Amendment, Obama's action was as President, and therefore carried the imprimatur of the government.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 04:10:50 pm »
Freedom of the press is important.  Donald can't just stop the Washington Post from covering him because he says so.

If you stop all criticism of a candidate you have ...... Free Republic.com

He's not stopping them from covering him.  He's just not toting them around and giving them priority press access to his events.  But they are still completely free to say whatever they wish about the guy.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:38 pm »
::Flashback::
Unprecedented: White House Tries to Ban Fox from Press Pool

Today the White House stepped up its attack on Fox News, announcing that the network would no longer be able to conduct interviews with officials as a member of the Press Pool. The Pool is a five-member group consisting of ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC organized by the White House Correspondents Association. Its membership is not subject to oversight by the government.

Before an interview with "Pay Czar" Kenneth Feinberg, the administration announced that Fox News would be banned from the press pool. This marks the first time in history that an administration had attempted to ban an entire network from the press pool.

The skids are greased for Trump to pick up the Dictatorship that Obama has laid down as precedent - and firmly cement it into an institution made in his own likeness.

He is already showing us his willingness to do so.

And we have acolytes on this very board that have said that they want Trump to wield a pen and phone too.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cowboyway

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 04:20:46 pm »
And tomorrow it will be the NYT that deserves it.

And then CNN the following day.

And MSNBC the next.

Followed by everyone except Fox News and whomever else your prince says 'deserves it' because they are not nice to him.

Perhaps Trump will be like Lincoln and have those in the press that disagree with him arrested.  And of course he'll suspend habeas corpus.
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cowboyway

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 04:23:07 pm »
“Based on the incredibly inaccurate coverage and reporting of the record setting Trump campaign, we are hereby revoking the press credentials of the phony and dishonest Washington Post,” Trump posted on Facebook.

Trump had posted to Facebook nearly 20 minutes earlier “to show you how dishonest the phony Washington Post is.”

It appears that Trump can dish it out but he can't take it.  Does 'Lying Ted' ring a bell, Donnie?
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:45 pm »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:27:01 pm by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 04:28:12 pm »
The skids are greased for Trump to pick up the Dictatorship that Obama has laid down as precedent - and firmly cement it into an institution made in his own likeness.

He is already showing us his willingness to do so.

And we have acolytes on this very board that have said that they want Trump to wield a pen and phone too.

It is just as long as our guy is doing it mentality..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 04:43:41 pm »
Perhaps Trump will be like Lincoln and have those in the press that disagree with him arrested.  And of course he'll suspend habeas corpus.

You can't suspend what you don't know. ;) Donaldus Minimus has already shown how little he knows
about the courts, never mind the Constitution, by way of observing the courts writing "bills."

I have known of few enough presidents who've done what they could to manipulate or control the
press and the First Amendment be damned. Now we have a pair of candidates who'd do likewise
and then some. Donaldus Minimus has shown his hand; Hilarious Rodent Clinton is bound to
show hers soon enough, if she hasn't already.

No matter who wins this race from hell what's left of the Constitution is going to take a beating
comparable to the one Muhammad Ali delivered to Ernie Terrell in 1966. The difference? Terrell
had a better chance of survival.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2016, 04:56:57 pm »

This is not the 1860's, and there's no way the Supreme Court would let either of those things stand for a moment.  Nor does Trump have anything close to the necessary institutional support to simply ignore court decisions even if he was inclined to do so.

Trump may be a know-nothing who says a lot of stupid things, and is either ignorant or simply doesn't care about many of the core principles of this country.  But as President, he's going to be subject to a lot of constraints that I think some folks are deliberately overlooking simply because of the "he's gonna be the next Mussolini" meme.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 05:02:44 pm »

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with how fascism works.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Wingnut

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 05:16:28 pm »
But as President, he's going to be subject to a lot of constraints that I think some folks are deliberately overlooking simply because of the "he's gonna be the next Mussolini" meme.

Well, with El Douche it won't be for a lack of trying to be like Il Duce

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:52 pm »
Well, with El Douche it won't be for a lack of trying to be like Il Duce

It may not be, but I think a lot of the reason he says stupid stuff is not because he intends to violate the Constitution/laws.  It's that he doesn't know where those lines are in the first place.  So the way I picture it happening is like this: 

Trump talking to his cabinet, "I want to ban all Muslim entry into the U.S." 

VP Gingrich:  "Mr. President, you can't legally do that.  Just for starters, American citizens who are Muslim cannot be denied the right to re-enter their own country."

Trump:  "Crap.  Then make it all non-Americans"

Sec'y of State Bolton: "The problem is that we've got a lot of reputable Muslim doctors and scientists who travel here, not to mention foreign leaders.

Trump:  "Fine, we'll make an exception for them too.  Okay, so we ban all non-American Muslims from entering the country."

FBI Director Comey:  "Mr. President, we just don't have the ability to individually vet the religion of every person seeking to enter the country."

Trump:  "Dammit!  Is there anything I can do?  I want to win!  We haven't been winning enough!"

Attorney General Christie:  "Well Mr. President, we can limit or even temporary halt immigration from those Middle Eastern countries where ISIS or radical Islam is strong, subject to you being able to make waivers for anyone specific you want to let in."

Trump:  "Is that a win".

Gingrich:  "Yes, Mr. President, it is."

Trump:  "Fine, let's do that then

That's kind of how I see/would hope to see a lot of these things playing out, anyway.  That's why I think who he selects as VP/cabinet is extremely important. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:35:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »
And just as a reminder, here is the alternative:

President Hillary:  "I want to add 60,000 Muslim refugees every year.  Minimum."

Vice-President Warren:  "Only 60,000??  It should be at least 100,000!"

First Gigolo Bill:  "Hillary, I don't think that's a good idea."

VP Warren:  "Shut up, you perv!"

President Hillary:  "100,000 it is!"

FBI Director Comey:  "There is no possible way we can vet 100,000, or even 60,000 people.  It's impossible and unsafe."

VP Warren:  "Shut up, you fascist!"

President Hillary:  "So it shall be written, so it shall be done!"

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:23 pm »
And just as a reminder, here is the alternative:

President Hillary:  "I want to add 60,000 Muslim refugees every year.  Minimum."

Vice-President Warren:  "Only 60,000??  It should be at least 100,000!"

First Gigolo Bill:  "Hillary, I don't think that's a good idea."

VP Warren:  "Shut up, you perv!"

President Hillary:  "100,000 it is!"

FBI Director Comey:  "There is no possible way we can vet 100,000, or even 60,000 people.  It's impossible and unsafe."

VP Warren:  "Shut up, you fascist!"

President Hillary:  "So it shall be written, so it shall be done!"

..and just a reminder when you deal with a populist with zero foundation behind his positions other than which way the winds are blowing:

‘You Have To’: Trump Would Allow Syrian Refugees Into America

During his Tuesday night appearance on the “O Reilly Factor,” when asked if America should allow refugees fleeing North Africa and the Middle East into America, Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump answered, “You have to.”

“I hate the concept of it, but on a humanitarian basis, with what’s happening, you have to,” Trump told “Factor” host Bill O’Reilly....

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/09/you-have-to-trump-would-allow-syrian-refugees-into-america/

Both candidates should not be acceptable at this point. We shouldn't have to settle.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 06:05:47 pm »
“I am no fan of President Obama, but to show you how dishonest the phony Washington Post is, they wrote, “Donald Trump suggests President Obama was involved with Orlando shooting” as their headline. Sad!”

~Trump

Well, I'm reading this morning's NY Post - which endorsed Trump.  Its article on the same subject is entitled "Trump: O is stupid - or even worse". 

What's the difference?   Trump's implication was clear enough, as both the polar-opposite WaPost and NYPost reported.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 06:10:47 pm »
..and just a reminder when you deal with a populist with zero foundation behind his positions other than which way the winds are blowing:

I agree, although I think on this particular issue, any person other than a truly committed comes down on the side of limiting immigration from those countries, at least for awhile.  And I think Trump is an ordinary enough guy that he likely thinks that way as well.  The stuff he says in that issue makes me fairly confident that's one issue on which he actually holds an opinion.

On other issues, the question becomes whether him running as a Republican and picking advisors who are more conservative is enough to make him likely more conservative than Hillary.  For some it will be, and for some, it won't.  I can see both sides of that myself.

Both candidates should not be acceptable at this point. We shouldn't have to settle.

Yeah, but that's the way the cookie crumbled this year.  But we'll all have the choice come November.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:13:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 06:17:16 pm »
Well, I'm reading this morning's NY Post - which endorsed Trump.  Its article on the same subject is entitled "Trump: O is stupid - or even worse". 

What's the difference?

The difference is that the NY Post headline of "even worse" could include him being an apologist or Islam sympathizer.  Hyper-sensitive to anything that may be critical of Islam.

The WP headline of being "involved" suggests that he actually took affirmative steps for the purpose of aiding that or similar attacks.  The former is elevating concern over Islamophobia over security.  The latter is actually approving of such attacks.

That's why the Washington Post itself changed it's own headline within an hour, because even they knew it went too far.