Author Topic: Grayson Claims AR-15 Can Fire 700 Rounds Per Minute  (Read 2836 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Grayson Claims AR-15 Can Fire 700 Rounds Per Minute
« on: June 13, 2016, 09:14:48 pm »

Madeleine Weast   
June 13, 2016 4:54 pm

http://freebeacon.com/politics/grayson-claims-ar-15-700-rounds-minute/

Rep. Alan Grayson (D., Fla.) told a CNN reporter Sunday night that an AR-15 rifle is capable of firing 700 rounds per minute.

In the clip first posted by the Washington Examiner, the famously blustery congressman made the claim to Erin Burnett, following the terrorist attack by Omar Mateen on Sunday morning in Florida . Burnett did not dispel Grayson’s statement, which is patently false.

An individual using an AR-15 would have to pull the trigger more than 10 times a second to fire off 700 rounds in one minute, and this excludes time needed for magazine changes.

“If he were who he were and he was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive,” Grayson said. “If somebody like him had nothing worse to deal with than a Glock pistol, which was his other weapon today, he might have killed three or four people and not fifty.”

exc

Offline flowers

Re: Grayson Claims AR-15 Can Fire 700 Rounds Per Minute
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:24:51 pm »
Good grief.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »
an idiot, then again very few in the MSM would call him on it

Offline bob434

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:48 pm »
And the people elected this person?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:49:29 pm »
You can technically 'Bump Fire' 900rpm or more, however, accounting for magazine changes and the unreliability of doing that (causes jams very quickly), the reality is you may get off 20 rounds before something goes wrong.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 09:51:24 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:49 pm »
Well, the cyclic rate of fire for the AR family is in the 7-800 RPM (rounds per minute) range.  However, this isn't really a useful measure of rounds-downrange-capability.  These numbers are a bit more realistic:

Cyclic: 800 rounds per minute (using a bottomless magazine)
Sustained: 12-15 rounds per minute (Aimed shots, and preventing over heating)
Semiautomatic: 45 rounds per minute (Wildly pulling the trigger, not aiming)
Burst: 90 rounds per minute.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 01:49:39 am »
The people have elected an incredible range of idiots to office. Worst case, the rest of us suffer the results of that; best case, we elect enough relatively sane people to overcome the idiots.

Unfortunately, the margin has been fairly thin the last few decades.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline runnerrunner

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:00:20 am »
Grayson is like Trump.

Offline markomalley

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:07:17 am »
Grayson is like Trump.
Please don't insult Grayson like that.

Thank you.

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 01:29:35 pm »
Posted By Madeleine Weast On June 13, 2016 @ 4:54 pm In Politics | No Comments

Rep. Alan Grayson (D., Fla.) told a CNN reporter Sunday night that an AR-15 rifle is capable of firing 700 rounds per minute.

In the clip first posted by the Washington Examiner, the famously blustery congressman made the claim to Erin Burnett, following the terrorist attack by Omar Mateen on Sunday morning in Florida . Burnett did not dispel Grayson’s statement, which is patently false.

URL to article: http://freebeacon.com/politics/grayson-claims-ar-15-700-rounds-minute/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:48:29 pm by AbaraXas »

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 01:31:30 pm »
 Oh yeah, Grayson!  Well I'm going to see your 700 rounds and raise you 300 and say it can fire 1,000 rounds per minute. :woohoo:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 02:27:08 pm »
This arsonist killed 87 people with a few matches and a gallon of gasoline. The instruments used in crime -- such as an AR-15 -- are not to blame, but people with evil intentions are. 
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bob434

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:56 pm »
[[The instruments used in crime -- such as an AR-15 -- are not to blame, but people with evil intentions are. ]]

No no no! Christians and Conservatives are to blame- every time- dontchaknow? It's true, the left tells us so- If it wasnt for Christians and conservatives, there woudl be no mass shootings- forget the FACT that Mateen and hte fella in Cali were both gay and both democrats most l ikely- none of that matter-s - it's the Christians fault

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 05:22:16 pm »
Ok.  I'll go with Grayson's claim an AR-15 can fire 700 rounds per minute (even though sheer logic tells me otherwise).  I still have the RIGHT to own and operate one period. Secondly the ONLY thing that may have saved lives is if someone else had a weapon to defend themselves and fire back. Trump BTW has already commented long ago that he was for an assault weapons ban.  I think there should be a ban against assault weapons ban.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 05:23:52 pm »

It makes you wonder why some people are allowed to vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 05:56:34 pm »
Ok.  I'll go with Grayson's claim an AR-15 can fire 700 rounds per minute (even though sheer logic tells me otherwise).  I still have the RIGHT to own and operate one period. Secondly the ONLY thing that may have saved lives is if someone else had a weapon to defend themselves and fire back. Trump BTW has already commented long ago that he was for an assault weapons ban.  I think there should be a ban against assault weapons ban.

It's impossible. Trust me - I own one. Even "bump firing" won't do it - that involves a rubber band and your belt loop (don't ask) and even then you have to swap out magazines and that's not easy firing in such a relatively uncontrolled manner.

Even if you fired the weapon as quickly as you could pull the trigger, with a standards 30-round mag, you'd be hard-pressed to get off 60 rounds a minute, and soon, the most common models' barrels would begin to overheat and feed ramp issues would begin to cause problems due to copper and powder fouling.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 05:58:34 pm »
It's impossible. Trust me - I own one. Even "bump firing" won't do it - that involves a rubber band and your belt loop (don't ask) and even then you have to swap out magazines and that's not easy firing in such a relatively uncontrolled manner.

Even if you fired the weapon as quickly as you could pull the trigger, with a standards 30-round mag, you'd be hard-pressed to get off 60 rounds a minute, and soon, the most common models' barrels would begin to overheat and feed ramp issues would begin to cause problems due to copper and powder fouling.

I posted a video above. The new bump fire stocks will get over 900 as long as it doesn't jam- no rubber band needed. (of course, most civilian grade barrels will also be degraded from the heat pretty quickly).

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 06:06:41 pm »
NARRATIVE FAIL: Orlando Islamic Terrorist Did NOT Use An AR-15

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/06/13/narrative-fail-orlando-islamic-terrorist-use-ar-15/

The anti-gun politimedia wasted no time at all demonizing the most common rifle in the United States as being the real villain of the Islamic terrorist attack on Pulse nightclub in Orlando.

Newsweek screamed, “ORLANDO SHOOTING PUTS SPOTLIGHT ON AR-15 RIFLE.”

Judd Legume of Think Progress squeaked, “The NRA’s Love Affair With The AR-15, Weapon Of Choice For Mass Murderers, In 22 Tweets.”

Always wrong Christopher Ingraham of the Washington Post whined, “The gun used in the Orlando shooting is becoming mass shooters’ weapon of choice.”

Here’s the thing.

The rifle used by the Islamist terrorist in Orlando was not an AR-15.
The rifle used by the Islamist terrorist in Orlando was instead a Sig Sauer MCX carbine, a modular, multi-caliber (able to swap to different calibers, including 5.56 NATO, 300 BLK, and 7.62×39) rifle system that sometimes utilizes STANAG magazines common to more than 60 different firearms, but otherwise has no major parts that interface with AR-15s in any way, shape or form.

This of course, will make no difference at all to the anti-gun politimedia, who don’t particularly care about factual accuracy and who likely wouldn’t be able to tell an AR-15 from a toaster oven if their lives depended on it.

All the media cares about is that they’ve wrapped their anti-gun dreams on demonizing the most popular rifle sold in the United States, and they’re going to keep attacking it, whether or not it was used in any particular incident or not.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »
Doesn't matter! NRA! Not enough gun control laws! NRA!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:59 pm »

The Sig MCX is an AR-15 derivative, so this is more of a 'gotcha' fail than a narrative fail.

But

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their correct names."
 ~ Chinese Proverb.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »
I think I found the AR 15 the liberals are talking about.

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 10:20:27 pm »
“If he were who he were and he was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive,” Grayson said.

The ridiculous assertion aside, the truly ridiculous condition is this: If there was one guy with a.45 and a pair of balls inside that club, a whole lot of those people would still be alive.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 10:49:17 pm »
I posted a video above. The new bump fire stocks will get over 900 as long as it doesn't jam- no rubber band needed. (of course, most civilian grade barrels will also be degraded from the heat pretty quickly).
You can get that rate of fire, but you won't get a full minute of it--not even close.

It's like having a car that will do mach 3 for .01 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:00:41 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 01:27:40 am »
What an idiot.