Author Topic: A Moral Disability...by Kevin D. Williamson  (Read 551 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Moral Disability...by Kevin D. Williamson
« on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:49 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/436376/print

A Moral Disability
Dispiriting findings on long-term unemployment
By Kevin D. Williamson — June 9, 2016

When I was a kid, I didn’t have any more appreciation for those “We Had It So Hard” stories you get from your parents and your grandparents than any other callow schoolboy does. But one of them stuck with me.

The elderly, highly regarded gentleman in question had moved to West Texas with his parents in the 1920s where they lived under what were essentially pioneer conditions, hunting rabbits for meat and foraging what other food they could, sometimes even eating green tumbleweeds. If you don’t know what the wind is like in West Texas, it will sound absurd, but, at one point, their house literally was blown away. There was no high school where they were — the place was called Sand — but there was one in a town 15 miles away, so he walked there and went to work at a filling station, a job he kept through high school. He was later accepted as a student at Texas Tech, the campus of which was a little more than 60 miles away. Again, he walked, not knowing where or how he’d live when he got there. The only business he knew was running a filling station, so he and another student started one, and he later used some of the money he made to open a movie theater. What followed was a successful business career and then a career in politics, culminating with his election as Texas governor Preston Smith.

We Americans have always been in motion. The pilgrims in their ships, the pioneers in their wagons, the Okies bound for California however they could get there, Preston Smith and his much-used shoes. It isn’t always great. But it isn’t all that bad, either, especially when you are young: I am sure that many of you reading this have had the experience of moving into an apartment you’ve never seen because you didn’t have the money to go scouting when relocating for a new job. Sometimes it’s better than expected, sometimes not—but it is always a surprise.

I am not among those who believe that poverty builds character — I can do without that kind of character — but I do sometimes almost feel sorry for those friends of mine who’ve always had it a little too good, who don’t have any funny stories about roadside misadventures caused by having a crappy 22-year-old car, the semester they spent semi-homeless, the people they met working on a farm or doing day labor. I don’t want to have those kinds of adventures now, and I didn’t want to have them at the time, either, but sometime between then and now I became glad that they had happened.

continued
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:18:12 am by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Williamson can't seem to let go of his dogma.

"Oh, I don't want to suffer hardship, but hey, you kids who can't find work, because you won't abandon your home and run off to some boomtown, this problem is YOUR fault!"

Hey, Kevin: most of those jobs are jobs that have either so many applicants that you have a better chance of winning on a lottery ticket than getting them, or jobs that have so ridiculously high requirements that no person of that age would qualify, or perhaps in areas where rent is so high that one couldn't afford to live there (but he thinks that's ridiculous to even consider that). The job market is broken.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Williamson can't seem to let go of his dogma.

"Oh, I don't want to suffer hardship, but hey, you kids who can't find work, because you won't abandon your home and run off to some boomtown, this problem is YOUR fault!"

Hey, Kevin: most of those jobs are jobs that have either so many applicants that you have a better chance of winning on a lottery ticket than getting them, or jobs that have so ridiculously high requirements that no person of that age would qualify, or perhaps in areas where rent is so high that one couldn't afford to live there (but he thinks that's ridiculous to even consider that). The job market is broken.

Its tough if you don't finish college.  But for college grads, it's not  as tough.  My kid just graduated.  He hasn't scored a long-term, permanent gig, yet, but he has a great summer job, has  a paid fellowship starting in September, and great prospects when he returns.

It is harder than it once was.  Kids have to be a little entrepreneurial.   My son is willing to do things at a low wage to start, regularly solicits editing work on the side, has a resume with a paid editing job for a daily newspaper, has already lined up a worst-case job offer (not in what he wants to do, and very far away, but a job is a job, and it would pay 40k).  He's also become more willing to work his network of contacts, and will probably land the job he really wants, in part, because he's using his contacts.

Some folks who didn't need to have given up.
Former Republican.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Its tough if you don't finish college.  But for college grads, it's not  as tough.  My kid just graduated.  He hasn't scored a long-term, permanent gig, yet, but he has a great summer job, has  a paid fellowship starting in September, and great prospects when he returns.

It is harder than it once was.  Kids have to be a little entrepreneurial.   My son is willing to do things at a low wage to start, regularly solicits editing work on the side, has a resume with a paid editing job for a daily newspaper, has already lined up a worst-case job offer (not in what he wants to do, and very far away, but a job is a job, and it would pay 40k).  He's also become more willing to work his network of contacts, and will probably land the job he really wants, in part, because he's using his contacts.

Some folks who didn't need to have given up.
I graduated in 2008, just as the recession hit. My field was meteorology. It literally went from a modestly solid job market to disaster the moment I graduated, and from what I've read, it never recovered. Older people are fleeing the field, but there's still a glut at the entry level (which doesn't even really exist anymore) and what few entry-level jobs there are pay pretty close to minimum wage for a job that now requires a four-year degree, requires by its very nature awkward shifts and increasingly heavy corporate interference. Furthermore, because the government gives away forecasts for free without copyright, there's almost zero room for entrepreneurial opportunity.

I ended up having to settle for my old high school job at a store in my small hometown that doesn't pay nearly enough for a person at my stage of life. Some unique personal situations have prevented me from leaving but even if those weren't an issue, what would I do? I have very few connections, my skill sets are all in fields with far too much competition for me to effectively stand out from the crowd, and I really don't need to go "all in" on another career just to have what happened to me the first time happen again. Williamson seems to think that if someone just moves to some boomtown everything will be fine. Ask the people of Williston, North Dakota how that's going. Boomtowns go bust.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:13:48 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
I graduated in 2008, just as the recession hit. My field was meteorology. It literally went from a modestly solid job market to disaster the moment I graduated, and from what I've read, it never recovered. Older people are fleeing the field, but there's still a glut at the entry level (which doesn't even really exist anymore) and what few entry-level jobs there are pay pretty close to minimum wage for a job that now requires a four-year degree, requires by its very nature awkward shifts and increasingly heavy corporate interference. Furthermore, because the government gives away forecasts for free without copyright, there's almost zero room for entrepreneurial opportunity.

I ended up having to settle for my old high school job at a store in my small hometown that doesn't pay nearly enough for a person at my stage of life. Some unique personal situations have prevented me from leaving but even if those weren't an issue, what would I do? I have very few connections, my skill sets are all in fields with far too much competition for me to effectively stand out from the crowd, and I really don't need to go "all in" on another career just to have what happened to me the first time happen again. Williamson seems to think that if someone just moves to some boomtown everything will be fine. Ask the people of Williston, North Dakota how that's going. Boomtowns go bust.

I'm a bit older than you, and frankly, I think Williamson is talking as much to folks my age as yours, so I hope you don't feel picked on.

I finished school a long time ago (I'd hate to say how long ago).  I went right to grad school.  After a year-and-half, I decided I wasn't so crazy about my field, and dropped out.  I know what it's like to look around and find that your degree doesn't qualify you for anyone particular job that's worth having.

But Williamson is addressing, in part, that lots and lots of workers have abandoned work, and many have gone on to receive disability benefits at ages considerably under normal retirement, during a time in the it lives when, traditionally, people still worked and added to the productive capacity of society.

I agree with that, with some limitations.
Former Republican.

HonestJohn

Re: A Moral Disability...by Kevin D. Williamson
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 03:06:22 am »
The military is a good way to earn a paycheck, learn some marketable skills, get another degree, and get a leg up on your competition when it comes to a resume.