Author Topic: Owner of pit bulls guilty in death of Detroit boy, 4  (Read 436 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Owner of pit bulls guilty in death of Detroit boy, 4
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:19:12 pm »
Owner of pit bulls guilty in death of Detroit boy, 4

A jury has convicted a pit bull owner of manslaughter in the fatal mauling.

In a fatal pit bull attack case that triggered public outrage, a jury today convicted a dog owner of involuntary manslaughter for the death of a 4-year-old boy mauled by three dogs in December in front of his mother.

The nine-minute-long attack was captured on surveillance video, which jurors viewed during the weeklong trial that included testimony from police, neighbors and the child's mother, whose son was pulled away from her by a pack of dogs while the two were walking to a neighborhood school.

The defense had argued "this was an accident."

But in the end, the jury concluded that Geneke Lyons, 42,  who owned four pit bull mix dogs — two puppies and two adults — created a situation that led to the boy's death by failing to secure his dogs,  just as prosecutors had argued throughout trial.

Lyons was also convicted of dangerous animals causing death. He had been charged with second-degree murder, but that charge was not part of the jury's verdict.

See More At: http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/06/09/pitbull-attack-detroit-xavier-strickland/85646180/

Offline musiclady

Re: Owner of pit bulls guilty in death of Detroit boy, 4
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:32:29 pm »
Good.

Owners of dangerous dogs who do not keep them leashed are responsible for the damage their dogs cause.

A good friend........ a distance runner............ was mauled by a large dog while running and badly injured.  The dog warden had told the owners previously that the dog needed to be chained and muzzled if it was outside.  They didn't care.

The dog is now dead, and though I am not a fan of lawsuits, I hope my friend sues the pants off of these irresponsible people.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.