Author Topic: Baltimore judge scolds prosecutors for withholding evidence in trial of officer in Freddie Gray case  (Read 1041 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/9/baltimore-judge-scolds-prosecutors-for-withholding/print/

Baltimore judge scolds prosecutors for withholding evidence in trial of officer in Freddie Gray case
By Ryan M. McDermott - The Washington Times - Thursday, June 9, 2016

BALTIMORE | The judge who will decide the fate of a police officer charged in the death of Freddie Gray on Thursday blasted city prosecutors for failing to turn over evidence that could exculpate the officer.

On the opening day of the trial for Officer Caesar Goodson, Baltimore Circuit Judge Barry Williams said that prosecutors violated Maryland court rules when they failed to turn over to the defense a discussion with Donta Allen, the second man placed inside the transport van after Gray was injured.

"I'm saying you don't understand what exculpatory means. I'm telling you that this [evidence] needs to be considered," Judge Williams told prosecutors. "If you don't understand that then I don't know what else you don't understand."

Allen previously had talked to police at the Western District homicide office in April 2015, saying that Gray had been thrashing around the van. But Allen then told reporters that he only heard faint sounds coming from Gray. In subsequent interviews, Allen refused to acknowledge his contradictory statements.

Judge Williams ordered that the prosecution to ensure that no other exculpatory evidence has been excluded. They have until Monday to do so.

Opening statements are set for Thursday afternoon.

Officer Goodson, 46, drove the police van in which Gray, a 25-year-old black man, sustained a broken neck. Gray died April 19, 2015, a week after being injured.

One of six officers accused in the arrest and death of Gray, Officer Goodson faces the most serious charges: second-degree "depraved-heart" murder, manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline r9etb

I expect this will be used to great effect in the "wrongful prosecution" lawsuit that was recently filed by a couple of other officers in the case.

Mike Nifong ends up looking pretty good by comparison...

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
"scolds"?  Not contempt of court and jail time, but a "scolding"....ooohh, I'm sure the DA's office is quaking in its boots.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline r9etb

"scolds"?  Not contempt of court and jail time, but a "scolding"....ooohh, I'm sure the DA's office is quaking in its boots.

It's a big deal for the judge to call out the prosecution like this. 

The relevant ruling: "Judge Williams ordered that the prosecution to ensure that no other exculpatory evidence has been excluded. They have until Monday to do so."

Among other things, the ruling opens the door for defense discovery motions.

What I don't know is whether this will be a jury trial, or a trial before the judge.

Offline sinkspur

The relevant ruling: "Judge Williams ordered that the prosecution to ensure that no other exculpatory evidence has been excluded. They have until Monday to do so."

What I don't know is whether this will be a jury trial, or a trial before the judge.

It's a bench trial.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-trial-motions-20160606-story.html
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline r9etb

It's a bench trial.

Which means that the prosecutors will have to bend over backwards to get back in his good graces.  Meanwhile, although the defense will need to be subtle about it, but they can question their witnesses in such a way as to reinforce the judge's underlying distrust of the prosecution.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker

@r9etb

Thanks for the clarification/info.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.