Author Topic: Former CIA Officer Says She Is Set To Be Extradited To Italy - NPR  (Read 717 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NPR reporting on a story I don't see elsewhere.

Former CIA Officer Says She Is Set To Be Extradited To Italy

A former CIA officer convicted in Italy of playing a role in a kidnapping under the agency's "extraordinary rendition" program said Wednesday that she will be extradited to Italy and sent to prison.

Sabrina de Sousa was convicted in absentia by an Italian court — along with 25 other Americans — for the kidnapping of Egyptian cleric Abu Omar off the streets of Milan 13 years ago.

The kidnapping was part of the CIA's "extraordinary rendition" program, under which, as The Associated Press puts it, "terror suspects were kidnapped and transferred to centers where they were interrogated and tortured." The program was greatly expanded during the George W. Bush administration, in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

De Sousa, who was working undercover for the CIA in Italy at the time of Abu Omar's kidnapping, denies personal involvement in the abduction. As NPR's Mary Louise Kelly reported last month, De Sousa says she and her son were on a school trip to the ski slopes in northern Italy, more than 150 miles from Milan, for the entire week during which Abu Omar was abducted.

http://www.capradio.org/news/npr/story?storyid=481267817

For the record, here is the person who was kidnapped:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_Mustafa_Osama_Nasr  (also known as Abu Omar)

Was convicted in 2013 of terrorism in Italy; but has been living in Egypt since released in 2007.

Here is what he was allegedly involved in, a massacre in Egypt killing over 62 persons, 58 foreigners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Former CIA Officer Says She Is Set To Be Extradited To Italy - NPR
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:33:21 pm »
I just can't see the CIA allowing this to happen...if its spooks don't have any confidence that the agency will back them up against foreign governments trying to lock them up or worse, then it will lose whatever on-the-ground/dirty work capability it has remaining.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:14 pm »
I just can't see the CIA allowing this to happen...if its spooks don't have any confidence that the agency will back them up against foreign governments trying to lock them up or worse, then it will lose whatever on-the-ground/dirty work capability it has remaining.

Thats probably Obamas plan.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:44 pm »
And apparently her main residency is Portugal; but maybe she married someone from there or has other reasons.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 11:39:47 am »
It's hard to get too upset about his if you read the article.  She admits that she didn't want to stay in the U.S., where she'd have been safe from this, because she wanted to challenge the conviction and clear her name.  We can't protect her if she voluntarily goes to another country that will extradict her to Italy.

Offline livius

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 04:08:20 pm »
It's hard to get too upset about his if you read the article.  She admits that she didn't want to stay in the U.S., where she'd have been safe from this, because she wanted to challenge the conviction and clear her name.  We can't protect her if she voluntarily goes to another country that will extradict her to Italy.

That's true.  However, I'm upset about it simply because of the premises of the Italian government in even charging her and the rest of the group.  Once upon a time, they wouldn't have dared or even have wanted to do this...but now even a third rate dysfunctional country like Italy feels it's stronger than the US. The Bambi Effect.