Author Topic: Archie Bunker politics  (Read 1487 times)

cuky

Archie Bunker politics
« on: June 09, 2016, 03:54:26 am »
Archie Bunker politics

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-trump-20160606-story.html

Who knew that the "Archie Bunker for President" bumper stickers of the 1970s would ever prove so prescient? Donald Trump may be as close to that "All in the Family" character as any Hollywood casting director could ever imagine. His latest attacks on Indiana-born U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel of California — that he is incapable of deciding a case involving Trump University fairly because "he's a Mexican" — could have been lifted from the sitcom's script.

We're still waiting for Trump's audience to recognize and condemn the biases of the likely GOP presidential nominee. As if to ensure that his fans don't mistakenly believe his views on judicial diversity were a slip of the tongue, Mr. Trump on Sunday told CBS-TV's John Dickerson on "Face The Nation" that a Muslim judge couldn't decide a case involving him either. Mr. Trump's logic is, in classic narcissistic fashion, self-interested in the extreme: A judge of Mexican heritage must recuse himself because of the candidate's views on building a wall along the U.S. border, while a Muslim judge couldn't possibly decide a Trump-involved case fairly because the candidate has proposed banning Muslims who aren't U.S. citizens from entering the country.

In other words, Mr. Trump looks at a person's race or ethnicity or religion and that's all he sees. He can't imagine that a non-white, non-Christian person could be fair, impartial or judicial given the insults he's hurled. By that line of reasoning, a white judge would not be acceptable either because such a judge would be too sympathetic to Mr. Trump.

It's time Trump apologizers and enablers stopped applauding him as "telling it like it is" or immune to "political correctness." This isn't some campus debate turned imbroglio because the commencement speaker once invested in large oil companies. This is the Republican Party's presumed nominee for the highest office in the land channeling Archie Bunker without the laugh track. Overt bigotry matters. Mr. Trump is once again demonstrating why he is the preferred candidate for white supremacists

Enough is enough. Racism is racism. Sorry, but tepid endorsements of Donald Trump like the one recently offered by House Speaker Paul Ryan aren't sufficient to clue in the American people that this man is singularly unfit to lead the free world. Judge Curiel, a former prosecutor who famously targeted Mexican drug lords, deserves a public apology from a candidate who has embarrassed himself, his party and his country. In the hands of Norman Lear, Archie Bunker always got his comeuppance, Mr. Trump's will have to wait until Nov. 8 with voters filling in the punch line.

Offline Mechanicos

Re: Archie Bunker politics
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 04:22:32 am »
Definitely a racist there, but its not Trump. Another #neverTrump repeat fail of the racist meme. The La Raza Judge Bad. Trump good. PC is dead, Thank you President Trump.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:29 am »
If not racist, what is the word you would prefer used to refer to Trump with respect to him saying: “What happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great. I think that’s fine.”  It clearly isn't fine or it wouldn't be something he thought we needed to know.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 11:46:39 am »
If not racist, what is the word you would prefer used to refer to Trump with respect to him saying: “What happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great. I think that’s fine.”  It clearly isn't fine or it wouldn't be something he thought we needed to know.
Real world. The bad guy here is the Judge and its wrong to attack the victim of Hispanic KKK political with hunting judge. I am all for destroying whats left of the anti-white people Politically correct race card. the Term racist is racist since its only applied to one race. He has no problem with Mexicans, he has a problem with a Judge loyal to Mexico not America.

How about since Trump respects intelligence and knows people have computers he said all that was needed to get the alt media looking into La Raza. especially after San Jose. No matter how much spin and damage control the liberal trolls on here do the judge is now aligned in American's minds with the Mexican flag waving, American-attacking violent protestors of San Jose. And Trump is the only one who has a plan to stop more of that happening.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 02:25:23 pm »
Real world. The bad guy here is the Judge and its wrong to attack the victim of Hispanic KKK political with hunting judge. I am all for destroying whats left of the anti-white people Politically correct race card. the Term racist is racist since its only applied to one race. He has no problem with Mexicans, he has a problem with a Judge loyal to Mexico not America.

How about since Trump respects intelligence and knows people have computers he said all that was needed to get the alt media looking into La Raza. especially after San Jose. No matter how much spin and damage control the liberal trolls on here do the judge is now aligned in American's minds with the Mexican flag waving, American-attacking violent protestors of San Jose. And Trump is the only one who has a plan to stop more of that happening.

Not buying it.  What reason could there possibly be for not just laying out the evidence of the judges ties to whatever group potentially makes him unfit for hearing this case?  I have no reason to read meaning into what someone says; I cannot knkw what they think other than to take their words at face value.  This was about the judge being Mexican.  And by proceding down the road of the judge not being impartial because he's Mexican it calls into question every court case he has ever presided over where the plaintifs are not Mexican themselves. 

I disagree with the judge being a part of any group that has any portion of the name La Raza, and I will take it a step further; I disagree with any professional association that is formed based on an ethnic identification of the would be members. That said, Trump handled this absolutely incorrectly.  He was at best unprofessional and at worst revealed himself as a bigot.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 02:29:49 pm »
Not buying it.  What reason could there possibly be for not just laying out the evidence of the judges ties to whatever group potentially makes him unfit for hearing this case?  I have no reason to read meaning into what someone says; I cannot knkw what they think other than to take their words at face value.  This was about the judge being Mexican.  And by proceding down the road of the judge not being impartial because he's Mexican it calls into question every court case he has ever presided over where the plaintifs are not Mexican themselves. 

I disagree with the judge being a part of any group that has any portion of the name La Raza, and I will take it a step further; I disagree with any professional association that is formed based on an ethnic identification of the would be members. That said, Trump handled this absolutely incorrectly.  He was at best unprofessional and at worst revealed himself as a bigot.
Because it appears the average Trump supporter is smarter and more aware of whats going on then the average anti-Trump person. The Only Bigots here were the ones who called him a racist for using the term Mexican which is not a race. By their own actions they stereotyped all Mexicans as Hispanic which was a Bigot thing to do.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »
Because it appears the average Trump supporter is smarter and more aware of whats going on then the average anti-Trump person. The Only Bigots here were the ones who called him a racist for using the term Mexican which is not a race. By their own actions they stereotyped all Mexicans as Hispanic which was a Bigot thing to do.

That makes no sense.  There is no rational reason for not presenting the La Raza "connections" and instead just saying it's because the guy is Mexican that he can't get a fair trial.  You go ahead and call me stupid if it makes you feel better, but in no world does your explanation make sense.

Silver Pines

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »

If you're so smart, why are you over at TOS asking for help in debating us?

I'm debating some exiled Cruz Bots who fled to TBR on how the Phoney hysteria over the Judge did not hurt Trump. They posted this poll as a counter argument. Any help debunking it would be appreciated.

1 posted on 6/9/2016, 9:40:26 AM by Mechanicos
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies | Report Abuse]

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3438392/posts

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 03:29:44 pm »

I'm debating some exiled Cruz Bots who fled to TBR on how the Phoney hysteria over the Judge did not hurt Trump. They posted this poll as a counter argument. Any help debunking it would be appreciated.

Lazy, was getting ready to go out, Got great info too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:30:05 pm »

Now that right there is funny.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 03:30:58 pm »
The La Raza Judge Bad. Trump good. PC is dead, Thank you President Trump.

Polly want a cracker?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:18 pm »
That makes no sense.  There is no rational reason for not presenting the La Raza "connections" and instead just saying it's because the guy is Mexican that he can't get a fair trial.  You go ahead and call me stupid if it makes you feel better, but in no world does your explanation make sense.

Let me suggest that the underlying premise of your conversation with Mechanicos is not correct. 

To me, decoding Trump is like decoding the logic of little kids.  When a little kid tells you something, it is invariably logical -- assuming that you can figure out from where their reasoning begins.  Once you figure out the starting point, then it all begins to make sense.

Same thing with Trump.  He has rational reasons for what he says; but his logic is grounded in different rules than what you or I might use.  If we consider that his logic is grounded in narcissism and insecurity, then all of it -- the gratuitous insults, the over-the-top attacks, the unfounded claims -- it begins to make sense. 

So when Trump derides the judge as "a Mexican," we might understand it in terms of little kid logic: he's lashing out at a guy who threatens his security; and "Mexican" not only gives him a visceral satisfaction, but also plays to a very loyal contingent among his supporters.  His lawyers might (or might not) be able to present reasonable, legal arguments to impugn the judge's impartiality, but Trump has no patience for such things.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »
Excellent analysis & explanation.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
Let me suggest that the underlying premise of your conversation with Mechanicos is not correct. 

To me, decoding Trump is like decoding the logic of little kids.  When a little kid tells you something, it is invariably logical -- assuming that you can figure out from where their reasoning begins.  Once you figure out the starting point, then it all begins to make sense.

Same thing with Trump.  He has rational reasons for what he says; but his logic is grounded in different rules than what you or I might use.  If we consider that his logic is grounded in narcissism and insecurity, then all of it -- the gratuitous insults, the over-the-top attacks, the unfounded claims -- it begins to make sense. 

So when Trump derides the judge as "a Mexican," we might understand it in terms of little kid logic: he's lashing out at a guy who threatens his security; and "Mexican" not only gives him a visceral satisfaction, but also plays to a very loyal contingent among his supporters.  His lawyers might (or might not) be able to present reasonable, legal arguments to impugn the judge's impartiality, but Trump has no patience for such things.

As you say.  The real problem is, the question I originally asked him was, if not "racist", what word would he prefer be used to describe Trump's statement, “What happens is the judge, who happens to be, we believe, Mexican, which is great. I think that’s fine.”.  There seemed to a whole lot of discussion around the use of the word "racist" instead of getting into the meat of the discussion of what Trump actually said.  There seems to be this belief with the Trump supporters that because we anti-Trump people find issue with him calling the judge out because he's Mexican that we are anti-white, or some similar silliness.  I don't know, it's hard to make sense of all the words being thrown around to talk around the subject instead of just about it.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 04:07:10 pm »

"but also plays to a very loyal contingent among his supporters."

I think we do our analysis a dis-service when we minimize, overlook, or neglect to give this factor it's due importance. 
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 04:35:05 pm »
Now that right there is funny.

It tickled me, too, LOL.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
Let me say as a person with a tremendous dislike of Trump, I don't think he's a racist. He is prone to making remarks that are simultaneously politically incorrect and dumb. He can't help himself.
Yes, he and his supporters have a point...any judge that belongs to a racist org. with an agenda opposed to someone like Trump should probably not be judging Trump. In fact, for having ties to a racist group the judge should be disbarred.
But that is separate from the fact that Trump said something that was stupid and easily construed as racist. Which reflects on his lack of judgement and temperament.
The first thing he should have done was point out the guy's ties to a racist group. But to say it the way Trump said it that he couldn't get a fair trial from a Mexican (when the judge is in fact an American with Mexican heritage) was just dumb.