State Chapters > Texas

Land Rush in Texas Hill Country

(1/6) > >>

M1078:
Dallas residents Pat and Cindy Fox wanted a rural retreat with easy urban access. They chose to build in Dripping Springs, a small Texas town that calls itself “the Wedding Capital of Texas.” Here they paid $1 million for 100 acres of land and built a $3 million, modern country home on it.

“You can hear the wind and the birds, and see the stars, but in 30 minutes you can have dinner” in Austin, said Mr. Fox, a 58-year-old a real-estate investor who commutes from Dallas and plans to retire on the property.
The Foxes, who built their home in 2010, are among the Texas Hill Country’s latest wave of settlers, affluent buyers from large metro areas seeking getaways in the countryside. Located in central Texas near Austin and San Antonio, the Hill Country covers about 17 counties across 11 million acres of terrain noted for gnarly live oaks, spring-fed streams and rocky hills.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-texas-hill-country-a-land-rush-for-the-rich-1465396904

The subtitle for this article is "A new wave of settlers has arrived in remote central Texas: affluent buyers seeking luxury getaways on hundreds of acres."

I certainly don't consider Dripping Springs "remote."  It's city from the western edge of town until you in to Austin proper.  I suppose for WSJ types Central Park is "remote" once you get where the actual grass is.

SquirrelCutter:
Yeah, for a bunch of damn Yankees Dallas probably seems like Montana.

I like the Hill Country, She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are considering moving down around Glen Rose somewhere. I gotta get away from the crush of the Metromess before I die, even if it means moving to Arkansas.

That's a joke, y'all.

austingirl:
I was going to say, Dripping Springs is practically Austin. I read the rest of the article and saw they included homes in Vanderpool and Uvalde. I live in Medina in Bandera County, true Hill Country.

Chieftain:
Radio ads for this are running up here in Portlandia.  They are pushing lots for $59K, not bad if the land is worth developing.

We just got our latest love note from the county assessor, and our lot went from $70K to $94K in one shot.  They booted the house up as well, in total the value went up just over 13%.  The hell of it is that we could sell it for the tax value plus $50K in less than 30 days...

:beer:

Sanguine:
I grew up in Dripping Springs.  It was as close to paradise as you could get back then.  I very seldom go visit anymore.  I just can't stand seeing the 'burbs and MacMansions built over the beautiful limestone canyons and rolling pastures. 

But, the Comanche probably felt the same way not so very long ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version