Author Topic: An independent run is more realistic than you think (IF ONLY!!!)  (Read 969 times)

Offline ScottinVA

by David French June 7, 2016 1:43 PM
@DavidAFrench

A credible candidate would earn a serious look by voters. In the days immediately before and after the news broke that I was weighing an independent run for president (it’s still strange to type those words), I was hit with two primary questions. First, “Who the heck are you?” And, second, “How can you believe an independent run will work?” As for the first question, I’m the guy not running for president. The second question deserves a much closer look.
   Over the last eight days, I’ve enjoyed what amounts to a crash, graduate-level course in the potential for an independent candidate in 2016. Contrary to popular belief, the quest to find a candidate to confront Clinton and Trump isn’t simply the idle work of frustrated pundits, tossing names out until one finally sticks. In reality, there exists a serious foundation — with a comprehensive strategy, key assets, and seed funding in place. Let’s look at the key factors, in turn.

The public is ready to look at a third option First, let’s begin with a dose of reality: Polling for independent-candidacy demand can be imprecise — and optimistic. When the public dislikes two candidates (as they dislike Trump and Clinton), it’s easy for them to express a preference for an idealized, unknown third person. But in this cycle, we not only have polling demonstrating that a generic independent candidate could reach 21 percent, we also have polls putting Mitt Romney at 22 percent, Libertarian Gary Johnson at 11 percent and 10 percent, and polling showing up to 65 percent of Americans (and upwards of 90 percent of Millennials) are willing to at least consider an independent candidate. RELATED: Inside the #NeverTrump Candidacy that Almost Was None of this is news to political junkies.

I’m not going to pretend that this polling means a third-party candidate would sweep the field in one of history’s great political revolutions, but it does indicate that a credible candidate would earn a serious look, with Millennials (unsurprisingly) most likely to jump the major-party ship. A serious look is the critical first step. The ballot-access problem is overblown Pundits who like to toss cold water on independent runs always go back to the same two words — “ballot access.” As the argument goes, it’s just too late and too expensive to get on enough ballots to either win or impact the race meaningfully. At least one writer projected that it would cost $250 million, a staggering sum. This is fundamentally off — by a factor of more than ten. Even if one assumes that an independent candidate has to pay a petitioning firm for every single signature (no volunteer involvement) and hire litigators to challenge ballot rules in particularly onerous states, we projected that the ballot access would cost less than $25 million. That’s a formidable amount, to be sure, but not significant in the context of a viable and meaningful national campaign.

More at:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/436303/independent-presidential-run-candidate-foundation
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:25:07 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
Re: An independent run is more realistic than you think (IF ONLY!!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:38:57 pm »
Excellent article.  If lying don can't be annihilated at the convention, we should try to draft Gov. Walker to an independent bid.  I'm sure there are many prominent Republicans who would endorse such a candidacy.
Former Republican.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 08:37:51 pm »
Excellent article.  If lying don can't be annihilated at the convention, we should try to draft Gov. Walker to an independent bid.  I'm sure there are many prominent Republicans who would endorse such a candidacy.

At this point I think pretty much any credible candidate could run and win a 3rd party campaign.  Heck, I'd happily vote for Mitt Romney if my other choices were Trump or Clinton.  (And I'm not a Romney fan.)

The key word here is "credible," which to me translates into something pretty simple: a governor (either sitting or fairly recent) who had a successful term in office. 

The names that spring to mind among Republicans would include Romney, Walker, Kasich, Perry, Christie.... 

Of these, I think Romney and Kasich probably would be the most effective 3rd-party candidates.  Romney, because he's known; and Kasich because he's an adult (a boring one, true).

Walker could run a credible albeit losing campaign: despite his very real abilities he's handicapped by his lack of education and he looked bad when he tried to fudge it during the primary campaign.  Plus which, he would likely galvanize a strong union reaction, to Clinton's benefit.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 08:52:35 pm »
The National Review writer whose name was laughably floated as a third-party threat to Donald Trump's candidacy, writes a story published in National Review, suggesting somewhere out there is a third-party candidate who can defeat both Trump and, presumably, Hillary?

Hilarious! Only in the cockeyed world of the #neverTrump!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:53:33 pm by aligncare »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:24 pm »
 :happyhappy: :mauslaff: 000hehehehe :laughingdog: :doglick:
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:00:50 pm »

Except the convention is mid-July.  They will be naming a nominee who will more than likely be Trump as he earned the majority by the electorate.  The Libertarian party has indicated that they will be on the ballot in all 50 states.  I don't know of any other independent party or candidate that has made in that far yet. Let's hope Trump uses his head an announces his VP choice after Hillary -- their VP's are either going to make them or break them.  Trump needs to choose very wisely; his problem is, who is going to risk their political career to run with him?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:15:50 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 09:09:17 pm »
I'm thinking of a song by Carole King.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 09:17:39 pm »
The National Review writer whose name was laughably floated as a third-party threat to Donald Trump's candidacy, writes a story published in National Review, suggesting somewhere out there is a third-party candidate who can defeat both Trump and, presumably, Hillary?

Hilarious! Only in the cockeyed world of the #neverTrump!

There is a slim chance that the Libertarian may keep Hillary and Donny from getting the majority of votes needed ... but as I said ... slim. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »
Except.  The convention is mid-July.  There is not enough time to qualify in all 50 states to get an independent candidate on the ballot.

I think there would be sufficient energy behind a credible 3rd-party candidate to get the petitions in on time, though it has to be started soon.

As for 50 states, probably not necessary.  It would certainly require a concerted effort to get onto the ballot by name in enough high-value states, which seems reasonable; and for the other states the rules for qualifying write-in candidates are more easily met.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 09:23:44 pm »
I think there would be sufficient energy behind a credible 3rd-party candidate to get the petitions in on time, though it has to be started soon.

As for 50 states, probably not necessary.  It would certainly require a concerted effort to get onto the ballot by name in enough high-value states, which seems reasonable; and for the other states the rules for qualifying write-in candidates are more easily met.

Texas is a very large state to write off.  Their deadline has been passed.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:16 pm »
I'm thinking of a song by Carole King.
It's Too Late Baby?

i am going to hum that all night now! ugh!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 09:50:59 pm »
https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_for_presidential_candidates

You can read here state by state what is needed. Deadlines vary per state. scroll down page to chart.

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline r9etb

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:54:28 pm »
Texas is a very large state to write off.  Their deadline has been passed.

Fair point.  The deadline was 09 May for independent candidates. 

However, the window has not yet opened for write-ins:

Write-in candidates for President file a declaration of write-in candidacy with the Secretary of State. The declaration may not be filed earlier than July 23, 2016, or later than 5:00 p.m. of August 22, 2016. The declaration must include the information about and signed consent from the candidate’s vice-presidential running mate. In addition to the declaration, a write-in candidate for President must provide signed, written statements of consent to be a presidential elector candidate from 38 presidential elector candidates (the number of presidential electors that federal law allocates to Texas). Forms are linked below and may be obtained from the Secretary of State’s office.
(http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/candidates/guide/president.shtml)

In a year like this, a write-in campaign could actually stand a chance, even in a state the size of Texas.

But it points out that the energy has to go into the convention. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:54:54 pm by r9etb »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 10:00:16 pm »
It's Too Late Baby?

i am going to hum that all night now! ugh!

Sorry for the earworm, but yeah.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:19:19 pm »
I wouldn't vote for Christie.  Clone of the lying fraud.  I'd be iffy with Kasich.  End of campaign showed he lacked honor, and is still angling to be the lying fraud's vp.  I'd gladly settle for Gov. Romney this time.  I think Gov. Walker probably boned up on weak areas after he left the race, so, I think he'd be a better candidate.  I'd happily support Sen. Cruz.  I'd vote dorm Gov. Perry.  Or Sen. Rubio over lying don.   Or, if we're up against it, I'd take even Gov. Bush.
Former Republican.