Author Topic: Major conservative radio host, Hugh Hewitt calls for Republican Party to dump Donald Trump at the convention  (Read 617 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: BUSINESS INSIDER

http://www.businessinsider.com/hugh-hewitt-donald-trump-convention-2016-6

by: Allan Smith

EXCERPT ONLY, CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt on Wednesday said the GOP should look to change the rules at this summer's Cleveland convention so it can ditch Donald Trump as its nominee.

The host came to that conclusion after what he called the worst 72 hours for the party in more than 15 years.

"The worst 72 hours for the Republican Party since 2000 when the George W. Bush DUI was dropped," he said on his program, adding, "We're going to get killed. We're going to get killed."

Hewitt said the "self-savaging" party leaders inflicted on Trump after he continued to pursue a racial line of attack against a federal judge was like nothing he had ever seen.

The latest Trump firestorm centered around his persistent attacks on US District Judge Gonzalo Curiel over his Mexican heritage. The Manhattan billionaire said Curiel cannot fairly preside over a civil case involving his now-defunct for-profit real estate school, Trump University, because he is of Mexican descent and Trump is "building a wall" along the US/Mexico border if elected in the fall.

Curiel is from Indiana.

Republicans from all sides of the party have publicly condemned the remarks and demanded that Trump change his tone. In a late-afternoon Tuesday statement, Trump took a step back from the attacks but did not apologize. He made no mention of his attacks against the judge in his prepared post-primary speech later that night.

"Paul Ryan had to come out and say those are racist comments," Hewitt said. "Sen. Mark Kirk unendorsed him. Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona said, 'Well, he might not be our nominee.' Mitch McConnell hammered him. It was a day of self-savaging of the Republican nominee, I've never seen anything like it. And by the end of the day, it was clear: Trump's campaign was in free-fall and on fire."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And yet the Supreme Court just ruled on a case, whereby the defendant is claimed to not have had a fair sentencing trial, because jurors were kept off the case for reasons of race.

Trump's concern is valid, since the SC apparently feels the same concern was valid.

"Supreme Court Finds Racial Bias in Jury Selection for Death Penalty Case"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/us/supreme-court-black-jurors-death-penalty-georgia.html?_r=0

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SirLinksALot

Trump's concern is valid, since the SC apparently feels the same concern was valid.

Trump has valid concerns, it's WHAT HE SAID and HOW HE SAID IT that turned a lot of people off.

Had he focused on the Judge's connections with La Raza and his law firm's donations to Hillary Clinton, his supporters might even stand behind him. Instead, he focused on the judge's ethnicity, calling him "Mexican" (he was born in Indiana ).

The man does not know how to apply wisdom when he speaks and that's what concerns a lot of people. Imagine opening his big trap up when dealing with foreign leaders...

Hugh Hewitt was even encouraging people to support Trump in previous columns. Look what Trump did to turn even an open minded guy like Hewitt off...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 04:28:20 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline sinkspur

And yet the Supreme Court just ruled on a case, whereby the defendant is claimed to not have had a fair sentencing trial, because jurors were kept off the case for reasons of race.

"Supreme Court Finds Racial Bias in Jury Selection for Death Penalty Case"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/us/supreme-court-black-jurors-death-penalty-georgia.html?_r=0

If Trump's concern is valid, why did Daniel Petrocelli refuse to ask for a recusal of Curiel?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline r9etb

Hugh Hewitt was even encouraging people to support Trump in previous columns. Look what Trump did to turn even an open minded guy like Hewitt off...

The whole Trump thing reminds me very strongly of another pathological narcissist with whom I once had dealings.  There's a real excitement about such people, and they can often say and do good things.  But at some point things don't go exactly right, and the narcissism takes over.

There was a time when I actually believed the guy, followed by a period where I found myself having to work harder and harder to defend the things he said and did; and, finally, there came a point -- it was actually a couple of very minor things -- where I could no longer justify supporting him.  It was tremendously liberating.  There were many others, though, who never did reach that point and, for all I know, support him still.

For Hewitt, and I suspect for many others as well, I think this latest flap -- rather small in itself -- represents that final nudge over the limit.  I suspect the momentum for a change at the convention is growing. 

Probably it will come to naught and Trump will be nominated regardless, but the existence of opposition will mark the advent of a healthy alternative (and probably a new party).