Author Topic: Everywhere Republicans turn, it’s all Trump  (Read 12281 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Everywhere Republicans turn, it’s all Trump
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:42:56 am »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/282611-everywhere-republicans-turn-its-all-trump

By Scott Wong and Alexander Bolton - 06/07/16 08:37 PM EDT

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) wanted to talk about poverty at his press conference on Tuesday, but the media was intently focused on a billionaire businessman running for president.

After unveiling the House GOP’s new plan on combating poverty at a drug rehabilitation facility in the Anacostia neighborhood of Washington, D.C., Ryan opened up the media briefing for questions.

The first round of questions centered on Donald Trump, the real estate mogul and presumptive GOP presidential nominee who shocked the political world by recently launching racial attacks on a Mexican-American federal judge.

Do you regret your endorsement of Trump?

Do Trump’s racial remarks undercut your GOP agenda?

What do you think about Trump doubling down on his statement that Judge Gonzalo Curiel can’t be fair because of his Mexican heritage?

And how can you continue to support Trump when he’s making racist comments?

Right out of the gate, Ryan disavowed Trump’s remarks, calling them the “textbook definition” of racism.

“I see my job as Speaker of the House to keep our party unified. I think if we go into the fall as a divided party, we are doomed to lose,” said Ryan, in a white shirt sans sports coat and tie, and flanked by some of his GOP chairmen.

“And that is why I’m going to be focused on these ideas and these solutions, and not try to defend the indefensible.”

A Washington Post reporter then interjected, saying he had a policy-specific question.

“Thank you so much!” Ryan replied with a laugh.

Back at the Capitol, Senate Republicans attending their weekly lunch were dogged by questions about Trump’s racially charged attacks on Curiel. And GOP leaders and rank-and-file members from both sides of the Capitol seemed to twist themselves into pretzels as they rebuked Trump’s comments while continuing to support his presidential bid.

If the mood in the GOP could be gloomier, it was hard to see how.

“This is probably the beginning of Trump unraveling, not the end of it,” la mented one GOP lawmaker who backs Trump. “The honeymoon is over for The Donald.”

Ryan’s news conference kicked off a daylong frenzy over Trump’s racial attacks on Curiel, who was born in East Chicago, Ind., to Mexican parents and now works in Southern California.

Ryan’s Senate counterpart, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), was engulfed in a media storm of his own. 

Dozens of reporters jammed the Senate subway area in the basement of the Capitol, ready to swarm lawmakers for comment on Trump after a weeklong absence for Memorial Day. Senate officials nervously paced the area to keep it from devolving into a mob scene. 

After the Senate Republican luncheon, leaders walked to a stakeout in the Ohio Clock Corridor to talk about the schedule and the sluggish economy, but they could tell immediately the assembled throng of reporters wanted to talk only about Trump.

“Get ready for the Trump questions,” Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (S.D.) quipped to Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas) as they approached the television cameras.

Reporters shouted over each other to ask McConnell questions about whether he thinks Trump is a racist.

McConnell, who is fond of saying he has “many faults, but getting off message is not one of them,” refused to take the bait. He pointed instead to his round of media interviews last week that expressed disapproval, but stopped short of labeling Trump’s comments as racist.

“I spent the last week in a number of interviews on the subject of our nominee and his comments. I expressed my disapproval over and over and over again to a variety of different ones. I don’t have anything to add,” he said.

But that offering didn’t satisfy the media scrum, and the questions kept coming until McConnell vented his frustration with the GOP standard-bearer.

“And my advice to our nominee would be to start talking about the issues that the American people care about and to start doing it now,” the Senate leader said, his irritation flashing.

“In addition to that, it’s time to quit attacking various people that you competed with or with various minority groups in the country and get on message,” McConnell added. “This election is eminently winnable.”

While Republicans on Tuesday tried to dodge questions on Trump, Democrats were quite willing to talk about him.

At their weekly press conference, Senate Democratic leaders mentioned Trump by name at least 15 times.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.), who is not known for being subtle, said, “I think it’s clear now that the Republican Party is the party of Donald Trump. ... [GOP leaders’] insistence on supporting those who make racist comments help pave the way for Donald Trump.”

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), who is expected to become the upper chamber’s top Democrat next year, noted that Senate Republicans are “squirming and twisting, trying to find their way out of the Trump straitjacket.”

Toward the end of the press conference, Reid was asked about recent reports that have suggested he wants Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) to be Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton’s running mate.

Reid, staying on the message of the day of attacking Trump and GOP leaders, said, “I’m saying no more on that. Period.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Re: Everywhere Republicans turn, it’s all Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:45:49 am »
Trump continues to suck all the air out of the room, and the life out of the Republican party and the country.....

One disaster after another...........  **nononono*

I will be proud to tell my grandchildren and great grandchildren that I had NO part in this fiasco called Trump.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:49:59 am »
Trump continues to suck all the air out of the room, and the life out of the Republican party and the country.....

One disaster after another...........  **nononono*

I will be proud to tell my grandchildren and great grandchildren that I had NO part in this fiasco called Trump.

You and me both. History does not look kindly on those that participate in destroying their countries. Especially when they trash their countrymen in the process. History has a long memory.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:04:23 am »
You and me both. History does not look kindly on those that participate in destroying their countries. Especially when they trash their countrymen in the process. History has a long memory.

Indeed it does.

And for me, it's important to be on the right side of it.  We can't always tell at the time where that is, but in this situation it is painfully clear that a country as great as America once was STILL deserves a real President and not a decadent poseur......

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:16 am »
Hugh Hewitt was on MSNBC just now, and said the speech did nothing to stop the bleeding on the judge issue because he never apologized for it. 

"The plane is still heading toward the mountain."
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 02:13:36 am »
Indeed it does.

And for me, it's important to be on the right side of it.  We can't always tell at the time where that is, but in this situation it is painfully clear that a country as great as America once was STILL deserves a real President and not a decadent poseur......

I can't claim  to never be wrong (OK once but I was three, and it turned out I wasn't ;) but I try to be informed enough to avoid it being a common occurrence. I hold the positions I do because I didn't pick them out of a hat or get them fed to me via political script. Thats one of the reasons I use my real name online. To keep myself in check. If I say it, there's a consequence to being wrong so I choose wisely.

Trump is a disaster now. That disaster will worsen. If his supporters want to make a Goldstein of me or any of us, thats their call. But the truth always comes out. And I know we are on the right team.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:12 am »
Hugh Hewitt was on MSNBC just now, and said the speech did nothing to stop the bleeding on the judge issue because he never apologized for it. 

"The plane is still heading toward the mountain."

The "mountain"?    Is that what they call Andrews Air Force Base now?

LOL!  In your dream fantasy, @sinkspur
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 02:24:21 am »

"It's not the mountain before you, but the pebble in your shoe"      ....or something like that

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:47 am »

Hey, your boy was on Hannity, telling Republicans to "get over" Curiel.

Not without an apology, bubba.

Says the man who has based his ENTIRE CAMPAIGN on anger.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:28:31 am by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:43:50 am »
Has this man ever completed a coherent statement in his entire life??  SHEESH!!

And what is with his "unfair" garbage??  Is he still 8 years old??  "Mommy, that's not FAIR!!"

God help us all if this man ever sees the door to the Oval Office!!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 02:45:32 am »
"It's not the mountain before you, but the pebble in your shoe"      ....or something like that

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 02:50:58 am »

And what is with his "unfair" garbage??  Is he still 8 years old??  "Mommy, that's not FAIR!!"

IF only people had treated him unfairly, he would have done us all a favor and ran third party.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WAC

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 02:51:45 am »

He repeated "fair" several times, just as he's been bellly aching that from the first he entered the race. THAT IS his campaigns motto as I see it..... If it isn't carrying Trumps water it's ALL Unfair.

The man doesn't have understanding about most issues in this race and he certainly has no idea of what fairness is.  Easy saying his constant whining and incoherence about pretty much everything is as annoying as as a kid on a play ground.

The man should never have come so close to the Presidency and we're in for a lot of loses and insanity if he makes it....same with Hillary....their both nuts!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:58 am »
He repeated "fair" several times, just as he's been bellly aching that from the first he entered the race. THAT IS his campaigns motto as I see it..... If it isn't carrying Trumps water it's ALL Unfair.

The man doesn't have understanding about most issues in this race and he certainly has no idea of what fairness is.  Easy saying his constant whining and incoherence about pretty much everything is as annoying as as a kid on a play ground.

The man should never have come so close to the Presidency and we're in for a lot of loses and insanity if he makes it....same with Hillary....their both nuts!

Ya, but look at the bright side...at least Crazy Bernie is out of the picture.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 02:55:34 am »

His constant whining reminds me of a spoiled pre-adolescent child who hasn't received the love and discipline a child needs.

There's something really, REALLY wrong with this guy and we are in for big trouble if he gets anywhere near the WH.

Seriously.......... he IS nuts.

Offline WAC

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:16 am »
..... the truth always comes out. And I know we are on the right team.

Truth becomes an enemy oftentimes  because people are told  not to look elsewhere for truth and accept what they have been told....Truth can be spoken yet fall to the ground because people do not want to hear it...... And more times than not today those who refuse it often go after those who proclaim it in order to silence its 'voice'..... Lies are embraced because 'it is easier' to accept than the truth that requires time and effort to understand.

Anytime the truth is compromised someone will be hurt....this nations in for a world of hurt when and if Trump or Hillary sit in the Oval Office.

Offline WAC

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 03:15:42 am »
There's something really, REALLY wrong with this guy and we are in for big trouble if he gets anywhere near the WH.
Seriously.......... he IS nuts.

Trump is a disordered Narcissist with oncoming dementia and that is why his behavior and speech are what they are.... Add in the New York City 'thug' attitude he's spent his life building his business with and ,yest, the end result is someone who is most assuredly unstable and unbalanced to any who can recognize instability.......On the other hand those who themselves may be unstable wouldn't recognize Trump as so, rather would be attracted.

What's interesting is checking the sites where physicians and the medical community is chiming in. They see it clearly.  There's a certain point his followers are already struggling with, that he may very well be a nut case. .........especially since he should be getting serious and buckle up for the general........he's not.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 03:32:37 am »
Trump is a disordered Narcissist with oncoming dementia and that is why his behavior and speech are what they are

Donald Trump is the UNDISPUTED nominee @WAC.  It's time to get used to this and past time to drop your armchair psychology.

Now there's no getting around it .... you're only helping Hillary ---- and this needs to stop.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 03:35:33 am »
Donald Trump is the UNDISPUTED nominee.  It's time to get used to this and past time to drop your armchair psychology.

Now there's no getting around it .... you're only helping Hillary ---- and this needs to stop.

OR WHAT?????

You gonna come around with your goon squads and try to beat us into seig-heiling your prince???
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 03:43:13 am »
OR WHAT?????

You gonna come around with your goon squads and try to beat us into seig-heiling your prince???

No, @INVAR .... if you don't catch up and accept that the 2016 Republican primaries are over; if you don't put down your hate; if you don't join the team....then Hillary Clinton will win.

And if you say, "so what"---- I'll finally understand why you lost your first Internet home.

That's WHAT!!!   

Clear enough?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 03:53:05 am »
No, @INVAR .... if you don't catch up and accept that the 2016 Republican primaries are over; if you don't put down your hate; if you don't join the team....then Hillary Clinton will win.

And if you say, "so what"---- I'll finally understand why you lost your first Internet home.

That's WHAT!!!   

Clear enough?

You don't get to make the call on when 'enough' happens. Get over you undeservedly important and utterly powerless self.

That home is where YOU belong, not us.

geronl

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 03:57:00 am »
All Republicans are now saddled and chained to the Trump

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 04:03:39 am »

IRRELEVANT.  I don't care which vulgar, despotic shrill and angry power-mad dictator-wannabe, him or her gets the throne in November.

I'm looking beyond what is inevitable for my own sake and those of my immediates.  I can care less which monarch and dictator you people choose to rule over you.  I'll have no hand in supporting either one of them with a vote.

I will cast a vote for a Constitutional Conservative, and thus go before My Lord with a clean conscience knowing I did what He would expect those who follow Him to do.  People who live their principles and not just pay them lip service and compromise with evil because it is expedient out of fear of another.

You have no idea what my first internet home was, or that I'm still a member and contributor there.

As usual, WRONG you are.  FR was just the latest collapse of many former Conservative forums out there, but it was never my primary home in the first place.

But keep attempting to guess my weight, it is amusing.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 04:07:13 am »
Truth becomes an enemy oftentimes  because people are told  not to look elsewhere for truth and accept what they have been told....Truth can be spoken yet fall to the ground because people do not want to hear it...... And more times than not today those who refuse it often go after those who proclaim it in order to silence its 'voice'..... Lies are embraced because 'it is easier' to accept than the truth that requires time and effort to understand.

These are a rebellious people, Lying children who refuse to hear the LORD’s instructions.
They tell the seers, “Stop seeing visions!” They tell the prophets, “Don’t tell us what is right.
speak to us smooth things, tell us easy things. Tell us lies.

Forget all this gloom. Get off your self-righteous path. Stop telling us about your ‘Holy One of Israel.’ - Isaiah 30:9-11

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 04:17:10 am »
IRRELEVANT.  I don't care which vulgar, despotic shrill and angry power-mad dictator-wannabe, him or her gets the throne in November.

But keep attempting to guess my weight, it is amusing.

I say 200 pounds of Awesome.