Author Topic: Florida AG asked Trump for donation before nixing Trump University fraud case  (Read 1433 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/e16a8223c24048d290883370dc6abe5b/florida-ag-asked-trump-donation-nixing-fraud-case

Florida AG asked Trump for donation before nixing fraud case

By JEFF HORWITZ, GARY FINEOUT AND MICHAEL BIESECKER

Jun. 6, 2016 7:05 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Florida's attorney general personally solicited a political contribution from Donald Trump around the same time her office deliberated joining an investigation of alleged fraud at Trump University and its affiliates

The new disclosure from Attorney General Pam Bondi's spokesman to The Associated Press on Monday provides additional details around the unusual circumstances of Trump's $25,000 donation to Bondi. After the money came in, Bondi's office nixed suing Trump.

The money came from a Trump family foundation in apparent violation of rules surrounding political activities by charities. A political group backing Bondi's re-election, called And Justice for All, reported receiving the check Sept. 17, 2013 — four days after Bondi publicly announced she was considering joining a New York state probe of Trump University's activities.

Marc Reichelderfer, a political consultant who worked for Bondi's re-election effort and fielded questions on the donation at her request, told AP that Bondi spoke with Trump "several weeks" before her office publicly announced it was deliberating whether to join a multi-state lawsuit proposed by New York's Democratic attorney general. Reichelfelder said Bondi was unaware of dozens of consumer complaints received by her office about Trump University filed before she requested the donation.

"The process took at least several weeks, from the time they spoke to the time they received the contribution," Reichelderfer told AP.

The timing of the donation by Trump is notable because the now presumptive Republican presidential nominee has said he expected and received favors from politicians to whom he gave money.

"When I want something I get it," the presumptive Republican nominee said at an Iowa rally in January. "When I call, they kiss my ass. It's true."

In addition to the money given by his foundation, Donald Trump himself has donated $253,500 since 2002 in Florida, most of it going to Republican candidates, the state party or political committees affiliated with GOP officials. His daughter, Ivanka Trump, also gave a $500 check to Bondi a week before her father's money was reported as being received, as well as another $25,000 to the Republican Party of Florida the following year.

The AP reviewed thousands of pages of records related to consumer complaints about Trump University and its affiliates filed with Bondi's office. The documents — previously obtained by the Orlando Sentinel, which first reported Trump's donation to Bondi — reveal a new reservoir of unhappy Trump University customers, despite recent claims from the presumptive GOP presidential nominee that the students of his real estate seminar company were overwhelmingly satisfied.

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and a federal class action civil lawsuit in California allege that Trump University — which was largely owned by Trump himself — defrauded consumers by as much as $35,000 each with promises of a real estate investing education that they either did not receive or found to be worthless.

All told, more than 60 people requested help from the Florida attorney general in obtaining refunds from Trump University and affiliates. Many alleged that they paid money for training materials and personalized instruction which were never delivered.

"I was laid off work for the first time in my life and really need this money to support my family," wrote one of the many people seeking help, adding that he had been promised a refund but never received it. "$1,400 is so much money for my family."

The documents complicate claims by Bondi's office that she received only one consumer complaint about Trump University at the time that she decided not to join the New York investigation.

Bondi's office said that its statement about receiving only a single complaint was accurate at the time because most of the complaints dealt with the Trump Institute, a separate corporate entity from Trump University. The Trump Institute was licensed by Trump to run his seminars, however, with Trump keeping a share of the profits. In internal emails, Bondi's own staff appeared to lump Trump University and the Trump Institute together — as New York's lawsuit has done.

By choosing not to pursue Trump in court, Bondi left the unhappy students on their own to try to get refunds from the celebrity businessman.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Goodness!  Pam needs to cut back on the gravy!

She can't make this look legit, no matter what she says.  And I'm wondering if Greg Abbott didn't do the very same thing.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

I smell the pungent stench of quid pro quo. 

Online libertybele

Looks like 'Lyin Trump' has some 'splainin to do.    This happened awhile ago, but it seems to be conveniently catching up to him.  Interesting that he's meeting with Rick Scott next week...corruption abounds.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RoosGirl

Just business.  Everyone that is successful does it. /s

Oceander

So, where are @Mechanicos and the other Trump worshippers, to rationalize this one away?

Offline RoosGirl

So, where are @Mechanicos and the other Trump worshippers, to rationalize this one away?

@Mechanicos off trying to figure out how to continue our discussion on Trump's immigration plan without having to admit he's wrong.

Online DB

Well that's how Trump conducts "business" and as we all know that excuses it all. I've been told that over and over so it must be true. Never mind the people on the losing end of the deal that can't afford their own politicians to corrupt the process... I guess Trump is right, they're just "losers"...

Online DB

@Mechanicos off trying to figure out how to continue our discussion on Trump's immigration plan without having to admit he's wrong.

Come on, you have to admit, some of what he comes up with (assuming its a he) is pretty creative in zigging and zagging from the obvious. He's got a tough row to hoe and its only going to get tougher...  He's to Occam's razor what anti-matter is to matter...

Offline RoosGirl

Come on, you have to admit, some of what he comes up with (assuming its a he) is pretty creative in zigging and zagging from the obvious. He's got a tough row to hoe and its only going to get tougher...  He's to Occam's razor what anti-matter is to matter...

Yep, it is creative.  You have to wonder what makes a person so invested in trying to explain away the weirdness that is the Trump campaign.  Perhaps it is a fault of mine, maybe I will never allow me to fully comprehend the minutiae of political life ( this statement will be used against me in the future) and politics, but I like things simple and I have no problem seeing just about everything in black and white.

Offline Mechanicos

I smell the pungent stench of quid pro quo.
Considering the case has no merit as shown by what happened to the Class Representative Plaintiff in CA. It sounds more like a shake down then a bribe.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline RedHead

Goodness!  Pam needs to cut back on the gravy!

I'm sorry but that's the kind of comment I'd expect from Trump and his team, not people opposed to electing Sleazy Donald president.

And wasn't she supposed to be one of the surrogates who was on the phone with Trump yesterday and who was told to talk up the judge's bias?  The first time she opens her mouth I expect this donation and the timing of dropping the case will come up.

Offline RedHead

Considering the case has no merit as shown by what happened to the Class Representative Plaintiff in CA.

Actually three plaintiffs have withdrawn, not just Tarla Makaeff.  Three are left.  The trial will and should go on.

It sounds more like a shake down then a bribe.

If it's a shakedown then maybe the plaintiffs can get jobs as salespeople for the resurrected Trump University?  Sounds like they have the perfect background for recruiting.

geronl

Trump and Bondi should spend a few years in prison

geronl

Considering the case has no merit as shown by what happened to the Class Representative Plaintiff in CA. It sounds more like a shake down then a bribe.

They were probably visited by Trump goons and threatened