Author Topic: Donald Trump Says He Doesn’t Believe in “American Exceptionalism”  (Read 8669 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wM6cqPS-c

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/donald-trump-american-exceptionalism

Donald Trump Says He Doesn’t Believe in “American Exceptionalism”
“I don't think it’s a very nice term."

DAVID CORN

JUNE 7, 2016 6:00 AM

In 2012, the Republican party was so hot to hype its love of "American exceptionalism" that it devoted one of the party platform's seven sections to this notion. In this document, the GOP proclaimed that it embraced "American exceptionalism—the conviction that our country holds a unique place in human history." But with Donald Trump now the Republicans' presumptive presidential nominee, the party may have to delete this doctrine from the platform it will be constructing at its upcoming convention in Cleveland, for Trump has explicitly declared that he does not believe in American exceptionalism.

In late April 2015, a month before Trump officially announced his candidacy, he spoke at an event called "Celebrating the American Dream" that was hosted in Houston by the Texas Patriots PAC, a local tea party outfit. The mogul sat in an oversized leather chair and fielded questions from Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, a prominent local businessman. About an hour into the program, McIngvale posed Trump this query: "Define American exceptionalism. Does American exceptionalism still exist? And what do we do to grow American exceptionalism?"

Trump didn't hesitate to shoot down the premise of the question, saying he didn't "like the term." He questioned whether the United States was "more exceptional" and "more outstanding" than other nations. He also said that those who refer to American exceptionalism were "insulting the world" and offending people in other countries, such as Russia, China, Germany, and Japan. It is "not a nice term," he said, maintaining it was wrong to equate patriotism with a belief in American exceptionalism. He derided politicians who use the phrase.

Explaining his negative reaction to this idea long cherished and promoted by Republicans and Democrats, Trump said, "perhaps that's because I don't have a very big ego, and I don't need terms like that." Audience members laughed in response. Trump added, "I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them. We've given them so much." He suggested that were he to become president, he would make the United States exceptional.

Here is Trump's complete answer:

I don't like the term. I'll be honest with you. People say, "Oh he's not patriotic." Look, if I’m a Russian, or I’m a German, or I’m a person we do business with, why, you know, I don't think it's a very nice term. We're exceptional; you're not. First of all, Germany is eating our lunch. So they say, "Why are you exceptional. We’re doing a lot better than you." I never liked the term. And perhaps that's because I don’t have a very big ego and I don’t need terms like that. Honestly. When you're doing business—I watch Obama every once in a while saying "American exceptionalism," it's [Trump makes a face]. I don't like the term. Because we're dealing—First of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them. We've given them so much. On top of taking it back, I don't want to say, "We're exceptional. we’re more exceptional." Because essentially we're saying we're more outstanding than you. "By the way, you've been eating our lunch for the last 20 years, but we’re more exceptional than you." I don't like the term. I never liked it. When I see these politicians get up [and say], "the American exceptionalism"—we're dying. We owe 18 trillion in debt. I'd like to make us exceptional. And I'd like to talk later instead of now. Does that make any sense? Because I think you're insulting the world. And you, know, Jim, if you're German, or you're from Japan, or you're from China, you don't want to have people saying that. I never liked the expression. And I see a lot of good patriots get up and talk about Amer—you can think it, but I don't think we should say it. We may have a chance to say it in the not-too-distant future. But even the, I wouldn't say it because when I take back the jobs, and when I take back all that money and we get all our stuff, I'm not going to rub it in. Let's not rub it in. Let's not rub it in. But I never liked that term.

When Trump finished those remarks, the crowd was largely silent, and McIngvale moved on to another subject. Yet Trump had just trampled one of the mainstay tenets of GOP ideology—and undercut a line of attack often used by Republicans.

In the Obama years, GOPers and conservatives have frequently assailed the president for not truly believing that the United States holds a special place in the world. During the 2012 campaign, Mitt Romney declared, "Our president doesn't have the same feeling about American exceptionalism that we do." Last year, Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.), when he was running for president, asserted that Obama "won't proudly proclaim American exceptionalism." These efforts aimed to undermine Obama's standing as a true American leader (though Obama has indeed stated his belief in American exceptionalism) and were somewhat related to the birther campaign that claimed Obama was not even a legitimate born-in-the-USA American citizen.

So it may seem odd that Trump, the king of birtherism and a fellow who markets himself as an American success story, does not accept American exceptionalism and has not adopted the GOP strategy of using it as a cudgel against Obama. But the folks drafting the GOP platform this year may want to take note: scratch American exceptionalism. Unless, of course, Trump wins in November. Then, in his mind, the United States would truly be on its way toward becoming outstanding.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:01:13 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

He wants America to be more like the KGB's Russia.

Offline GrouchoTex

My take on his comments in this article is that he doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism,  unless he is the one responsible for it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Nice to see he and Obama have the same sentiments about America.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

Nice to see he and Obama have the same sentiments about America.

He continues to prove that he is a liberal running under the Republican umbrella.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline kevindavis007

My take on his comments in this article is that he doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism,  unless he is the one responsible for it.

And it has to be all about him
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
And this is precisely why Trump cannot and will not "make America great again."  He doesn't understand what made her great in the first place and how she so drastically went off course.  I tried to tell those morons on TOS that for months.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/without-exceptionalism/article/2001806

Offline Eowyn

Offline RoosGirl

He's just a bizarre man.  Since when doesn't he like "rubbing it in"?  Seems to me like that's a major part of who he is.

Silver Pines

I question whether he even understands the meaning of the term.

Oh, and this...

"Explaining his negative reaction to this idea long cherished and promoted by Republicans and Democrats, Trump said, "perhaps that's because I don't have a very big ego, and I don't need terms like that."

I literally LOL'd.

Offline RoosGirl

Oh, and this...

"Explaining his negative reaction to this idea long cherished and promoted by Republicans and Democrats, Trump said, "perhaps that's because I don't have a very big ego, and I don't need terms like that."

I literally LOL'd.

I think he was saying that tongue in cheek.  It becomes apparent that he knows he has an ego problem, but for him it's not a problem.  He relishes it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Mother Jones is a bit far out there. Does anyone have another source for these quotes from Trump?
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline skeeter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72wM6cqPS-c

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/06/donald-trump-american-exceptionalism

Donald Trump Says He Doesn’t Believe in “American Exceptionalism”
“I don't think it’s a very nice term."

DAVID CORN

JUNE 7, 2016 6:00 AM

In 2012, the Republican party was so hot to hype its love of "American exceptionalism" that it devoted one of the party platform's seven sections to this notion. In this document, the GOP proclaimed that it embraced "American exceptionalism—the conviction that our country holds a unique place in human history." But with Donald Trump now the Republicans' presumptive presidential nominee, the party may have to delete this doctrine from the platform it will be constructing at its upcoming convention in Cleveland, for Trump has explicitly declared that he does not believe in American exceptionalism.

In late April 2015, a month before Trump officially announced his candidacy, he spoke at an event called "Celebrating the American Dream" that was hosted in Houston by the Texas Patriots PAC, a local tea party outfit. The mogul sat in an oversized leather chair and fielded questions from Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale, a prominent local businessman. About an hour into the program, McIngvale posed Trump this query: "Define American exceptionalism. Does American exceptionalism still exist? And what do we do to grow American exceptionalism?"

Trump didn't hesitate to shoot down the premise of the question, saying he didn't "like the term." He questioned whether the United States was "more exceptional" and "more outstanding" than other nations. He also said that those who refer to American exceptionalism were "insulting the world" and offending people in other countries, such as Russia, China, Germany, and Japan. It is "not a nice term," he said, maintaining it was wrong to equate patriotism with a belief in American exceptionalism. He derided politicians who use the phrase.

Explaining his negative reaction to this idea long cherished and promoted by Republicans and Democrats, Trump said, "perhaps that's because I don't have a very big ego, and I don't need terms like that." Audience members laughed in response. Trump added, "I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them. We've given them so much." He suggested that were he to become president, he would make the United States exceptional.

Here is Trump's complete answer:

I don't like the term. I'll be honest with you. People say, "Oh he's not patriotic." Look, if I’m a Russian, or I’m a German, or I’m a person we do business with, why, you know, I don't think it's a very nice term. We're exceptional; you're not. First of all, Germany is eating our lunch. So they say, "Why are you exceptional. We’re doing a lot better than you." I never liked the term. And perhaps that's because I don’t have a very big ego and I don’t need terms like that. Honestly. When you're doing business—I watch Obama every once in a while saying "American exceptionalism," it's [Trump makes a face]. I don't like the term. Because we're dealing—First of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them. We've given them so much. On top of taking it back, I don't want to say, "We're exceptional. we’re more exceptional." Because essentially we're saying we're more outstanding than you. "By the way, you've been eating our lunch for the last 20 years, but we’re more exceptional than you." I don't like the term. I never liked it. When I see these politicians get up [and say], "the American exceptionalism"—we're dying. We owe 18 trillion in debt. I'd like to make us exceptional. And I'd like to talk later instead of now. Does that make any sense? Because I think you're insulting the world. And you, know, Jim, if you're German, or you're from Japan, or you're from China, you don't want to have people saying that. I never liked the expression. And I see a lot of good patriots get up and talk about Amer—you can think it, but I don't think we should say it. We may have a chance to say it in the not-too-distant future. But even the, I wouldn't say it because when I take back the jobs, and when I take back all that money and we get all our stuff, I'm not going to rub it in. Let's not rub it in. Let's not rub it in. But I never liked that term.

When Trump finished those remarks, the crowd was largely silent, and McIngvale moved on to another subject. Yet Trump had just trampled one of the mainstay tenets of GOP ideology—and undercut a line of attack often used by Republicans.

In the Obama years, GOPers and conservatives have frequently assailed the president for not truly believing that the United States holds a special place in the world. During the 2012 campaign, Mitt Romney declared, "Our president doesn't have the same feeling about American exceptionalism that we do." Last year, Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-La.), when he was running for president, asserted that Obama "won't proudly proclaim American exceptionalism." These efforts aimed to undermine Obama's standing as a true American leader (though Obama has indeed stated his belief in American exceptionalism) and were somewhat related to the birther campaign that claimed Obama was not even a legitimate born-in-the-USA American citizen.

So it may seem odd that Trump, the king of birtherism and a fellow who markets himself as an American success story, does not accept American exceptionalism and has not adopted the GOP strategy of using it as a cudgel against Obama. But the folks drafting the GOP platform this year may want to take note: scratch American exceptionalism. Unless, of course, Trump wins in November. Then, in his mind, the United States would truly be on its way toward becoming outstanding.

@PaleoConPrep

As I was saying on another thread, looks like Trump more closely fits my description of a "Neocon".

Offline livius

Catherine of Aragon,

I completely agree. Trump has no idea what he's talking about, and he just says whatever he thinks will promote him - with, as he said, the people who wouldn't care if he took out a gun and shot somebody to death on Fifth Avenue.

I can't believe there's enough of those people to elect him, however, and I wish some other people in the GOP would start standing up and saying something about this.

Offline Eowyn

Mother Jones is a bit far out there. Does anyone have another source for these quotes from Trump?

Here's a video.

http://therightscoop.com/just-like-obama-trump-just-admitted-he-does-not-believe-in-american-exceptionalism/

Offline skeeter

Somehow I think Trump in the end will end up looking more like Daniel Dravot than Alexander the Great.

Wait 'till the GOP toads sense vulnerability. As long as they can do it at no cost to themselves they'll turn on him in an instant.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Here's a video.

http://therightscoop.com/just-like-obama-trump-just-admitted-he-does-not-believe-in-american-exceptionalism/
Thanks and Holy cow what is wrong with this guy. Eating our lunch? Has he looked at the standard of living in the countries that are "eating our lunch?"
:thud:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"First of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them. " - DJT

First of all, how does he plan to do that?  Is Germany and Japan for example just gong to return every dime we spent on the Marshall Plan to rebuild them after WWII?

Will Saudi Arabia surrender their oil fields to us?  Or is Trump planning on "Taking back everything from the world that we've given them" by force??

That ought to do wonders for the belief and sentiments that used to exist in the world that we were the most charitable nation on the planet.

"Indian-Givers" will have a whole new nationality applied to the term if Trump gets his despotic way.

Wonder how long before he says something like that to the Welfare leeches that are literally 'eating our lunch' in THIS COUNTRY????

My guess is never, because one pattern I have learned while watching, reading and listening to Trump: there is not a SINGLE Government program, entitlement or bureaucracy he plans on getting rid of or shrinking.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:56:40 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Yeah, this was the stand-out take-away for me in this blithering imbecillic rant moreso than his incoherent blathering about American not being exceptional because he doesn't like the 'term':

"First of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them...And you, know, Jim, if you're German, or you're from Japan, or you're from China…..I wouldn't say (American Exceptionalism) because when I take back the jobs, and when I take back all that money and we get all our stuff, I'm not going to rub it in". - Trump

I guess Trump plans on destroying what little is left of our relationships with our Allies post -WWII and starting WWIII with China.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:11:29 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Yeah, this was the stand-out take-away for me in this blithering imbecillic rant moreso than his incoherent blathering about American not being exceptional because he doesn't like the 'term':

"First of all, I want to take everything back from the world that we've given them...And you, know, Jim, if you're German, or you're from Japan, or you're from China…..I wouldn't say (American Exceptionalism) because when I take back the jobs, and when I take back all that money and we get all our stuff, I'm not going to rub it in". - Trump

I guess Trump plans on destroying what little is left of our relationships with our Allies post -WWII and starting WWIII with China.
As long as its Yuge!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
And this is precisely why Trump cannot and will not "make America great again."  He doesn't understand what made her great in the first place and how she so drastically went off course.  I tried to tell those morons on TOS that for months.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/without-exceptionalism/article/2001806

I watched the video.  Trump didn't really make any sense and it was cringe-making.  I don't think he understands what is meant by the term.  I think he resents the term because it has been used by people who don't believe in Trump exceptionalism.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
This is one more demonstration of Trump's three core principles:

1.  Himself.  He's a self supremacist
2  Money.  It is life's greatest good
3.  Winning.  It is proof of superiority and should be achieved at all costs and by any means.

You forgot number 4.  Validate your worth by sleeping with the hottest women.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Oh, and this...

I literally LOL'd.

I guess it's better to laugh than to cry but I could cry when I think about how we could have nominated a really exceptional man and ended up with this.

Offline NavyCanDo

Left-leaning individuals never liked the term because they don’t understand the term.

The Left and that would include Trump have a problem with it because they have a problem with America being viewed as superior to the rest of the world. Unfortunately their interpretation is distorted, as it has nothing to do with America being superior – but that America is uniquely different.  Reagan spoke of this misinterpretation once.  America is “exceptional” because of the founding principles of freedom and liberty, rugged individualism, and free enterprise. This is what Reagan was trying to convey.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn