Author Topic: Law to limit begging shows the worst of us - Mitch Albom  (Read 820 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Law to limit begging shows the worst of us - Mitch Albom
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:51:50 pm »
Law to limit begging shows the worst of us
Mitch Albom
June 2, 2016
Jewish World Review

Every day, on my way to work, I pass a man in old clothes and a cap. His name is James Scales, but he goes by "Cricket." He stands on a corner. Sometimes he holds a sign asking for help.

Cricket is homeless. I know this because I speak to him. And, yes, I give him money. I have done so at every encounter for at least five years. During that time, we've talked about sports, the weather -- and tougher things, like how he's been robbed or accosted at different places where he's tried to sleep.

I've told Cricket about shelter programs, but he's had bad experiences and shies away. This winter, I gave him a sleeping bag from the Empowerment Plan that doubles as a coat. You never saw a man so happy.

Cricket, who says he's 70 years old, is always polite. He says "thank you" and "God bless you." He often confesses, "I've been standing here for three hours, and you're the first person that's stopped for me."

There is an invisible underclass. We walk past them when we exit ballgames and concerts, we step by them as they crouch against walls. Most of us ignore them. Some of us are bothered by them.

And now we want to treat them as criminals.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0616/albom060216.php3#oD0k7yz61QT4WkHV.99
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Law to limit begging shows the worst of us - Mitch Albom
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:27:47 am »
I am conflicted about this.  On one hand there are a lot of con artists asking for handouts.  I have witnessed a "shift change" at a highway off ramp; one guy standing holding a sign with an oxygen tank and mask on, next guy walks up, first guy takes mask off and walks off while second guy puts mask on and starts his shift.  On the other hand there are people in legitimate need.  I never offer money, but have offered food on occasion.

A few years ago now, and I don't know that it is enforced, the City of Orlando created blue squares in certain areas and street corners that the panhandlers had to be in if they wanted to ask for money.  Some of them had started becoming quite aggressive when asking for help.  I'm sure the blue squares stopped that. /s

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:33:54 pm »
I am conflicted about this.  On one hand there are a lot of con artists asking for handouts.  I have witnessed a "shift change" at a highway off ramp; one guy standing holding a sign with an oxygen tank and mask on, next guy walks up, first guy takes mask off and walks off while second guy puts mask on and starts his shift.  On the other hand there are people in legitimate need.  I never offer money, but have offered food on occasion.

A few years ago now, and I don't know that it is enforced, the City of Orlando created blue squares in certain areas and street corners that the panhandlers had to be in if they wanted to ask for money.  Some of them had started becoming quite aggressive when asking for help.  I'm sure the blue squares stopped that. /s

I know how you feel. The Bible is pretty clear about helping those in need; but sometimes you really hope you're helping, not sure enableing them to buy another bottle or something.

Your experience sounds more like the Sherlock Holmes story The Man with the Twisted Lip.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 03:53:39 pm »
Saw a guy with a 10 foot tall cross on wheels with beams that were 6x6. At the bottom of the cross, he had a platform with an Igloo cooler and what appeared to be belongings strapped to it. He was dragging the cross on his shoulder like in all the movies about Jesus, until he would 'set up' on some intersection somewhere. It was an impressive display, but it was in every respect a danger to the normal flow of traffic in the same way as a fire juggler would be on the side of the road yelling 'look at me!', 'look at me!'.

I have experienced instances when panhandlers would block traffic or bang on windows for 'donations' (which were really just extortion, paying him to go away).

Panhandling does represent a danger to everyone involved, including the bums. There is a lot of fraud and extortion involved in this seemly innocent practice. Some 'indigents' use asking for money as a pretext to a robbery, other 'indigents' get robbed and assaulted themselves because they owe money to a dealer or they had the bad luck to mess with the wrong guy. Also, 'turf wars' are a big source of violence.

Limiting or ending 'begging' on the roadside would force these people (the real ones that is, the ones who really do need help) into treatment centers. People need money and other people want to give, but there are better ways of doing it than this Wild, Wild, West scenario.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 02:02:52 am »
240b wrote:
"Limiting or ending 'begging' on the roadside would force these people (the real ones that is, the ones who really do need help) into treatment centers. People need money and other people want to give, but there are better ways of doing it than this Wild, Wild, West scenario."

Rudy Giuliani showed how to do this during his tenure as mayor of New York City.

Really cleaned up the streets for a while.

Unfortunately, that time is over now, and the street vermin are comin' back with a vengeance...

HonestJohn

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 05:32:00 am »
Maimonides and the Eight Levels of Charity

Highest (does the most good) to lowest (does the least good):

1. Giving an interest-free loan to a person in need; forming a partnership with a person in need; giving a grant to a person in need; finding a job for a person in need; so long as that loan, grant, partnership, or job results in the person no longer living by relying upon others.

2. Giving charity anonymously to an unknown recipient via a person (or public fund) which is trustworthy, wise, and can perform acts of charity with your money in a most impeccable fashion.

3. Giving charity anonymously to a known recipient.

4. Giving charity publicly to an unknown recipient.

5. Giving charity before being asked.

6. Giving adequately after being asked.

7. Giving willingly, but inadequately.

8. Giving unwillingly.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:01:34 am »
2/3 of "homeless" are addicts/alcoholics or mentally ill or both.

Many are offered help but with conditions, like come live in a recovery setting, shelter, etc. But there are rules.

Many refuse the rules. They prefer/choose homelessness to rules.

Many do have sources of income, food and shelter, but again they will utilize a public support check for alcohol or drugs, instead of shelter. 

Those that do accept help will often stay in the structured environment for awhile, get cleaned up and healthy, but go right back to their old ways soon.

In many cases they do have family, but have burned that bridge, leaving behind those who tried to help, only to have their belongings stolen, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:21:04 pm »
Maimonides and the Eight Levels of Charity

Highest (does the most good) to lowest (does the least good):

1. Giving an interest-free loan to a person in need; forming a partnership with a person in need; giving a grant to a person in need; finding a job for a person in need; so long as that loan, grant, partnership, or job results in the person no longer living by relying upon others.

2. Giving charity anonymously to an unknown recipient via a person (or public fund) which is trustworthy, wise, and can perform acts of charity with your money in a most impeccable fashion.

3. Giving charity anonymously to a known recipient.

4. Giving charity publicly to an unknown recipient.

5. Giving charity before being asked.

6. Giving adequately after being asked.

7. Giving willingly, but inadequately.

8. Giving unwillingly.

That's a good list. It's interesting how similar 2-6 are in terms of investment and effort. When you get to # 1 you really have to got the extra mile.

HonestJohn

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:30:59 pm »
That's a good list. It's interesting how similar 2-6 are in terms of investment and effort. When you get to # 1 you really have to got the extra mile.

The biggest difference is in the level of recognition of the donor.  It is more righteous to give without seeking praise or acknowledgement than it is to give, forcing the recipient to acknowledge their need and to then prostrate themselves before the giver, begging for that aid.