Author Topic: Since clinching the GOP nomination, Trump has gone off stride, off message  (Read 2288 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/since-clinching-the-gop-nomination-trump-has-gone-off-stride-off-message/2016/06/04/404dcc6a-29d4-11e6-ae4a-3cdd5fe74204_story.html?postshare=1361465064588934&tid=ss_tw

By Dan Balz June 4 at 12:50 PM

It’s been almost five weeks since Donald Trump’s victory in Indiana made him the presumptive Republican nominee.

Here’s what’s happened since: He’s wasted time, proved to be a sore winner and veered sharply off message. He’s put a higher premium on settling scores than finding a script that will appeal to a wider, general-election audience. Will it cost him?

Trump no doubt takes comfort in national polls that show a close contest against Hillary Clinton. Over the past month, her lead has shrunk dramatically. Bernie Sanders runs better against Trump than she does, although the senator from Vermont has no easy way of becoming the Democratic nominee. Trump, who consumes polls like candy, must like what he sees, but he should still be asking how he gets to an electoral college majority.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No he hasn't.  His rallies prove that. 

Offline Mechanicos

Agreed the Washington Compost Trump Attack team lies.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

Trump can’t seem to let go of any perceived slight or grievance. He can’t accept the idea of winning graciously. He still feels disrespected, by fellow Republicans and especially the media. He feels he hasn’t gotten all the credit he deserves. He thinks that even some of his losses during the nomination battle were worthy of more praise than he got at the time.

Every nominee goes through bad stretches. It’s in the nature of the business. Clinton has had hers and will have more. But it’s hard to think of any previous presumptive nominee who has suffered through such a rocky period in the weeks after claiming the nomination. In the aftermath of a remarkable achievement, he has seemed as angry as ever and at times off stride.

Trump is revealing his pettiness, his willingness to hold grudges, his racism. 

Between Mitt winning the primaries and the Convention is when the Obama campaign defined Romney in the eyes of voters and he never recovered.  Trump has no money, and is busy defining himself in the eyes of voters; Hillary's campaign will be very helpful in that regard.  So it's likely the picture of Trump that congeals in the minds of voters over the next two months is the one they'll have in November.

Not pretty, so far.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Trump is sending a message to the GOP loud and clear!

The message is DON'T NOMINATE ME!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
With all of his blunders and attacks on Republicans, it appears all the "best" people he hired have been ignored in their attempts to get him to behave like a mature candidate working to unite the GOP.

Bob Corker is on with Clinton's pal Georgie S. and Corker is saying that Trump needs to change his behavior. He distanced himself from Trump's comments on Judge Curiel and would not discuss them. Guess this ambitious RINO will not get the VP nod.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

His rallies are getting smaller.  Why is he holding rallies in a state he doesn't need to win the nomination and cannot win in the general? 

Offline sinkspur

With all of his blunders and attacks on Republicans, it appears all the "best" people he hired have been ignored in their attempts to get him to behave like a mature candidate working to unite the GOP.

Bob Corker is on with Clinton's pal Georgie S. and Corker is saying that Trump needs to change his behavior. He distanced himself from Trump's comments on Judge Curiel and would not discuss them. Guess this ambitious RINO will not get the VP nod.

Gingrich tore Trump a new one on FOXNEWS Sunday.  And these are his supporters.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

By Dan Balz June 4 at 12:50 PM
He’s wasted time, proved to be a sore winner and veered sharply off message. He’s put a higher premium on settling scores than finding a script that will appeal to a wider, general-election audience.

I agree ... when he should have been finding common ground with the 7 million plus voters that did not vote for him in the primaries. :shrug:
But, I forgot, he doesn't need their "stupid unity". 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:52:30 pm by Texas Yellow Rose »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Trump's supporters must be frantic about how to reclaim their integrity and formulate an exit strategy from the train wreck. I still hope the GOP acts at the convention and nominates a sane person.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Texas Yellow Rose you attribute a quote from the article to Mystery-ak.  You may want to correct this.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Everything that comes out of Trumps mouth is a warning to America.  We should be listening.  Ben Sasse should be tapped.  David French seems DOA.  I was willing to listen but it went nowhere fast.  We need an alternate now and Sasse would be awesome.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean

Well, it's hard to go off stride when you're weaving around like a drunkard already...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline LadyLiberty

Well, it's hard to go off stride when you're weaving around like a drunkard already...
LOL This morning Ben Shapiro referred to Trump as "the drunk uncle who doesn't drink."

Offline etcb

His rallies are a continuation of the primary battle which is over.  He doesn't seem to be able to move on from his past glories.  He is like the highly rated college quarterback who is drafted in the first round by a NFL team and refuses to accept that he is now competing at a different level.  If he doesn't get his act together soon, it is going to be too late and he will just be another footnote in history. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

His rallies only prove that the deluded idiots who worship him still like to go and see him perform.

Even on Free Republic they can't find any good stories to post.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Trump is sending a message to the GOP loud and clear!

The message is DON'T NOMINATE ME!

Were it any other candidate, I would have to agree with you. 

I don't think Trump wants to DO president... he would just like to BE president. 

But his vanity and lack of touch with reality causes him to keep doing stupid thing and he's convinced that nobody will care.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
His rallies are getting smaller.  Why is he holding rallies in a state he doesn't need to win the nomination and cannot win in the general?

His rallies are his lifeline.  They provide oxygen for him.  Being in front of a worshipful crowd is a dream scenario for Trump.

Why would anyone go to a Trump rally?  He never says anything new or meaningful.  Beats me.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Really?  Maybe I'll watch it.

Offline kevindavis007

Trump never had a message... Except for WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL WALL
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Henry Noel

I don't think he ever intended to win the nomination, until it became apparent that he was going to, willy-nilly. Right from the outset he positioned himself for justifying a third-party run, and I'm sure the only reason was so Hillary could win the Presidency.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline kevindavis007

I don't think he ever intended to win the nomination, until it became apparent that he was going to, willy-nilly. Right from the outset he positioned himself for justifying a third-party run, and I'm sure the only reason was so Hillary could win the Presidency.

Every time a Clinton runs for President, there is a billionaire who just happens to run for President.  Trump is another Ross Perot..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Henry Noel

Every time a Clinton runs for President, there is a billionaire who just happens to run for President.  Trump is another Ross Perot..

I do think that was the intention.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline kevindavis007

I do think that was the intention.

Had Hillary not run do you really think he would be running for President???

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Why would anyone go to a Trump rally?

They are hoping he will hand out little orange Asherah poles???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:47:32 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...