Author Topic: How an Outsider President Killed a Party  (Read 742 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How an Outsider President Killed a Party
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:08:15 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/history-campaign-politics-zachary-taylor-killed-whigs-political-party-213935

How an Outsider President Killed a Party

The Whigs chose power over principles when they nominated Zachary Taylor in 1848. The party never recovered.

By Gil Troy

June 02, 2016

It was summer, and a major U.S. political party had just chosen an inexperienced, unqualified, loutish, wealthy outsider with ambiguous party loyalties to be its presidential nominee. Some party luminaries thought he would help them win the general election. But many of the faithful were furious and mystified: How could their party compromise its ideals to such a degree?

Sound like 2016? This happened a century and a half ago.

Many have called Donald Trump’s unexpected takeover of a major political party unprecedented; but it’s not. A similar scenario unfolded in 1848, when General Zachary Taylor, a roughhewn career soldier who had never even voted in a presidential election, conquered the Whig Party.

more...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: How an Outsider President Killed a Party
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 07:05:30 am »
Satayana, call your office.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:59 am »
Excellent article.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 08:37:51 am »
Sound like 2016? This happened a century and a half ago.

When Trump is the official nominee, I'm no longer a Republican. I will change to an independent. Over on TOS Trump was chosen because he was destroying the GOPe. He's going to destroy much more than that. And there will be no going back.

Offline OldSaltUSN

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:06 am »
"General Zachary Taylor, a roughhewn career soldier " , and presumably with the unusual sense of honor common to professional U.S. soldiers and military officers

Trump?  Nah.. not so much.  Trump's got NOTHING in common with Taylor.

The GOP-e was already coming off the rails, and had been since at least 2014, and really, since the Tea Party arose, RINO's Mitt and McCain got bulldozed, and the GOP Senate and Congressional leaders, by and large enabled Obama's agenda.

Trump just came in at the 11th hour to snipe victor from 16 other, more faithfully conservative GOP Presidential candidates, including one genuine outsider (Cruz).  He did this as a lifelong progressive for his long time friends, Bill and Hillary, acting within the same role as ol' populist, "gonna fix me a post office" Perot.  Without Trump, Hill-the-shrill loses.  ANY DEMOCRAT following the Obama disaster loses.  With Trump winning with a minority of GOP support in critical "winner take all" states, and taking out all legitimate alternatives, the GOP loses the Presidency by 50 states, plus the Senate and House.

A person COULDN'T TRY any harder, and any more obviously, to split the GOP vote, demoralize GOP voters, and suppress GOP turnout, then do what Trump has done before, during, and especially, after he was the last candidate standard.  A man trying to win for his cause, for his party, and against a common enemy, just doesn't do this type of thing. 

True, the GOP is done, and the GOP-e brought this on themselves.   But the progressives win, the conservatives lose (yet once again), so what does it matter.  However, if the Trumpkins think I'm about to reward Trump with my vote, they are nuttier than a bag of peanuts.  The GOP is done, but so is Trump and the Trumpkins.   It'll be an interesting sight as the Republic burns on the Trump pyre in November, which will absolutely happen.  (There's nothing in evidence to indicate Trump will change, or that the 65% of the GOP who are stridently opposed to him, will vote for him anyway.  Those voters will not be replaced.  Hill wins 50 states.)

#NeverTrump because
#Forever Christian and an
#OathKeeper

*** Beside my rant, it was a pretty good, informative article.  Thanks for posting it!  :patriot:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:49:29 am by OldSaltUSN »