Author Topic: Trump Sticks With Tweets and Insults  (Read 1625 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trump Sticks With Tweets and Insults
« on: June 03, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »
https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/628434?unlock=G5NA9H1MAQ6Q5HHW

As Clinton goes on the attack, his freestyle campaign lacks money, staff, and a consistent message

S.V. Dáte

June 3, 2016, 5:26 p.m.

Re­pub­lic­ans who have been eager for a new, less volat­ile, more pres­id­en­tial Don­ald Trump should prob­ably settle in for a longer wait.

A full month after nail­ing down the GOP pres­id­en­tial nom­in­a­tion, the real es­tate mogul’s cam­paign is still strug­gling to raise money, hire staff in key states, or even es­tab­lish a ser­i­ous com­mu­nic­a­tions shop to counter Demo­crat­ic at­tacks.

“Every day that goes by is a day lost. That’s true,” con­ceded one Trump aide privately.

The can­did­ate him­self, mean­while, con­tin­ues to let per­son­al griev­ances shape his cam­paign mes­sage. Dur­ing a re­cent trip to New Mex­ico, Trump in­sul­ted the pop­u­lar Re­pub­lic­an gov­ernor, who hap­pens to be fe­male, His­pan­ic, and chair of the Re­pub­lic­an Gov­ernor’s As­so­ci­ation. Her ma­jor of­fense: At an April fun­drais­ing din­ner in New York City for the state party, Susana Mar­tinez tapped out mes­sages on her smart­phone in­stead of at­tent­ively listen­ing to Trump’s speech. (Trump late this week star­ted try­ing to make amends.)

And over the last week, Trump has been lash­ing out at a fed­er­al judge in San Diego, say­ing his Mex­ic­an her­it­age pre­vents him from fairly presid­ing over the class-ac­tion law­suit filed by former stu­dents of Trump Uni­versity ac­cus­ing it of fraud.

“Ab­so­lutely zero up­side,” the aide said. “What the can­did­ate is do­ing is risk­ing our num­bers.”

Trump is also con­tinu­ing a cam­paign con­sist­ing largely of his own ral­lies and the at­tend­ant me­dia cov­er­age, rather sys­tem­at­ic­ally fo­cus­ing on ma­jor themes. While that strategy worked dur­ing the GOP primar­ies, in which he was able to win by draw­ing more voters to low-turnout con­tests, it’s un­clear wheth­er the tac­tic can work in a gen­er­al elec­tion, which at­tracts mil­lions more voters.

Among the con­sequences of this free­style, low-budget ap­proach has been Trump’s fail­ure to as­semble an ex­per­i­enced staff to pro­mote his mes­sage and blunt that of likely Demo­crat­ic nom­in­ee Hil­lary Clin­ton. While the Clin­ton cam­paign has nearly two dozen staffers in its press shop, Trump es­sen­tially re­lies on just two: cam­paign man­ager Corey Le­wan­dowski and press sec­ret­ary Hope Hicks. (Neither replied to a Na­tion­al Journ­al query for this story.)

The con­trast was on vivid dis­play Thursday in Cali­for­nia. Clin­ton de­livered a long-pre­pared, much re­hearsed 34-minute speech that evis­cer­ated Trump, call­ing him dan­ger­ously ill-suited to be com­mand­er-in-chief. “Don­ald Trump’s ideas aren’t just dif­fer­ent. They are dan­ger­ously in­co­her­ent. They’re not even really ideas – just a series of bizarre rants, per­son­al feuds, and out­right lies,” she said.

The Trump cam­paign’s en­tire re­sponse: Trump send­ing out Tweets that Clin­ton didn’t “look” pres­id­en­tial and cri­tiquing her Tele­PrompT­er read­ing abil­ity, and, later that even­ing, call­ing Clin­ton names and say­ing she be­longed in jail. “Let me tell you. My tem­pera­ment is so much tough­er and so much bet­ter than her tem­pera­ment,” he said.

Had the situ­ation been re­versed, the Clin­ton team likely would have flooded re­port­ers with re­but­tals and fact cor­rec­tions, set up a con­fer­ence call with top staff, and offered up sur­rog­ates to ap­pear on the TV net­works. This is ex­actly what the Trump aide had been push­ing for, but Trump was con­fid­ent he could handle the re­sponse him­self. “This is go­ing to be a con­stant chal­lenge,” the aide said.

It was a chal­lenge that was sup­posed to be go­ing away. Long­time Wash­ing­ton lob­by­ist Paul Man­a­fort, who was hired when Trump still feared a brokered con­ven­tion, as­sured Re­pub­lic­an Na­tion­al Com­mit­tee mem­bers at their April meet­ing in Flor­ida that Trump would ac­quire the trap­pings of a tra­di­tion­al cam­paign and start be­hav­ing in a more pro­fes­sion­al man­ner after he sewed up the nom­in­a­tion. It’s the same mes­sage Man­a­fort has been spread­ing to mem­bers of Con­gress in vis­its to Cap­it­ol Hill.

But Trump him­self has res­isted any such change. He has con­tin­ued the be­littling in­sults in speeches and on Twit­ter that he be­lieves helped him win the nom­in­a­tion. At a con­front­a­tion­al news con­fer­ence this week re­gard­ing his be­lated dona­tions to vet­er­ans’ char­it­ies, Trump said he had no in­terest in a makeover. “You think I’m go­ing to change? I’m not chan­ging,” he said.

Un­der­ly­ing all the con­cerns is money, or as one Trump ad­viser de­scribed it on con­di­tion of an­onym­ity, the lack there­of. Trump paid for most of his primary cam­paign out of his own pock­et, spend­ing $43.5 mil­lion by the end of April. But his fin­an­cial dis­clos­ure doc­u­ments show that des­pite re­peated claims that he is worth more than $10 bil­lion, he has nowhere near the cash and li­quid as­sets he would need to fin­ance a $1 bil­lion gen­er­al-elec­tion ef­fort.

And while his cam­paign did sign a joint money-rais­ing agree­ment with the RNC, so far that has res­ul­ted in a single fun­draiser that re­portedly brought in $6 mil­lion. “They need to be rais­ing that every day,” the ad­viser said.

Clin­ton, mean­while, has raised $239 mil­lion through the end of May, and has already star­ted build­ing gen­er­al elec­tion staffs in key swing states, in­clud­ing Flor­ida, where a Clin­ton win would likely make a Trump pres­id­ency im­possible.

Trump, in con­trast, has little bey­ond the skelet­al staff he had for the March primary in that state, said long­time Flor­ida Re­pub­lic­an con­sult­ant and Trump crit­ic Rick Wilson. “They don’t have the money to pay them,” he said. “There’s no re­sources on the ground, there’s no or­gan­iz­ing, they don’t be­lieve in data.”

The Trump cam­paign aide, though, said that was chan­ging, des­pite the dif­fi­culty of rais­ing money for a self-de­scribed bil­lion­aire. New donors are com­ing on board weekly, both those ready to bundle $5,400 checks from their friends as well as those will­ing to write five- and six-fig­ure checks to a newly cre­ated su­per PAC by a Trump loy­al­ist.

“To write the epi­taph of this cam­paign’s fun­drais­ing would be pre­ma­ture,” the aide said. “Give it two weeks.”
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

Re: Trump Sticks With Tweets and Insults
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »
The incredible shrinking candidate

A smaller and smaller man by the day

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:17 am »

Good,   because that stuff works.   Especially the Insults. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:59:23 am »

Do you teach that to your children?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 01:03:01 am »

Josh Marshall ‏@joshtpm  20m20 minutes ago
Cant deny the genius: Trump buried TU story w new anti-Mexican racist tirade then threw everyone off that by claiming AA man as his property
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 01:04:30 am »

If they run for office nationally,  i'm certainly going to give them a crash course in it.   

You do realize that the nation has become a nation of children?   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 01:12:26 am »
Josh Marshall ‏@joshtpm  20m20 minutes ago
Cant deny the genius: Trump buried TU story w new anti-Mexican racist tirade then threw everyone off that by claiming AA man as his property

You are going to make the dishonest claim that because Trump said "My African American"   that this is claiming the man as property?   

Are you a kook?

Do you know any black people?   I have associated with them since I can remember,   and I have partied with them,  and gone to church with them,   and worked with them. 

One of their common terms of affection is to say "My N***a."     It isn't expressing ownership,   it is expressing camaraderie.   

Trump can't get away with saying "My N***a",   so he tries to wing it with "My African American",   which is just a stupid thing to say,   but it was not intending to convey disrespect.   

And now you are going to come along and be a dishonest pr*ck about it?   

Don't talk to us about Trump's ethics,  you need a few drubbings with the ethics stick yourself.   

Trump is making greater inroads into the black community than any other Republican I have ever seen.   I expect he'll pull 20-25% of the black vote,  and if he does,  it's over for Hillary.   She cannot possibly win without the black vote. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 03:21:28 am »

You are going to make the dishonest claim that because Trump said "My African American"   that this is claiming the man as property?   

Are you a kook?

Do you know any black people?   I have associated with them since I can remember,   and I have partied with them,  and gone to church with them,   and worked with them. 

One of their common terms of affection is to say "My N***a."     It isn't expressing ownership,   it is expressing camaraderie.   

Trump can't get away with saying "My N***a",   so he tries to wing it with "My African American",   which is just a stupid thing to say,   but it was not intending to convey disrespect.   

And now you are going to come along and be a dishonest pr*ck about it?   

Don't talk to us about Trump's ethics,  you need a few drubbings with the ethics stick yourself.   

Trump is making greater inroads into the black community than any other Republican I have ever seen.   I expect he'll pull 20-25% of the black vote,  and if he does,  it's over for Hillary.   She cannot possibly win without the black vote.

A 70 YO man trying to talk 'hip' for the kiddies is patheric to begin with.

A 70 YO man who campaigns on how anti PC he is trying to be 'hip' with the kiddies with PC terms for "My bleep" is a step beyond pathetic.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 03:36:31 am »
LOL.  I swear I did not read that comment about before posting this:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,210159.0.html

Which apparently you can't say umm...ni**ah here (note to self).

I was being sarcastic, but this loon actually believes it!  Oh my great good Lord.  That right there is funny stuff.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 04:00:49 am »

Good question. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 05:38:55 am »
Good question.

More like 'foregone conclusion.'

geronl

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:31:32 am »
Trump is making greater inroads into the black community than any other Republican I have ever seen.   I expect he'll pull 20-25% of the black vote,  and if he does,  it's over for Hillary.

He's a Democrat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:44:08 am »
I love firing back at some of his tweets. He leaves some really good hanging curveballs out across the plate. #delicatedonald is definitely #notpresidential
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!