General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (2/87) > >>

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on June 03, 2016, 02:13:33 pm ---Thanks for setting up the thread.  As I said earlier, In my retirement, I occasionally teach genealogy classes for the local genealogical library.  My class, focuses mostly on making sure students realize that the internet is probably the best and worst things ever to happen to genealogy.  Good, in that we now have the ability to research in weeks what used to take a lifetime, Bad, in that there is so many mistakes on databases, that seem to perpetuate, it is near impossible believe half what are shown on many family trees.

Secondly, I provide what I feel are the best sites on the web for research, and then provide a navigational tour through those sites so the students can get a leg up in researching.  Third, I like to give a good bit of time of ways, means, and suggestions on how to deal with those brick walls that we all have in extending our tree.

I also volunteer at our genealogical library when time permits, helping patrons with research.

So just as a starter, here is the list I provide students.  I hope we can have some good discussions from there.

google
Genweb
Rootsweb
Ancestry
familysearcg.org
Cyndi's List
Heritage Quet
Genforum
Vitalrec.com
Higginson's Books
Find A Grave

--- End quote ---

Excellent list!  I have personal accounts at both Ancestry and Family Search.  I also use Family Tree DNA (it's the best there is) for DNA testing and GEDmatch.com for comparing my dna with that of others.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 02:17:49 pm ---How many times have I figuratively kick myself for not taking the time to write down things I was told or asking questions of the people who knew the answers while they were still around!!!

--- End quote ---

Even better, is to see if your elderly relatives will allow you to interview them by video tape.  My FIL drove a Halftrack in the Normandy invasion at Omaha Beach.  Right now he is 92 and has dementia.  Thank goodness my wife and son videotaped him about 15 years ago, and he spoke on his experience for about an hour.

Another neat example, is several years ago, I got a wav copy of a audio tape of my great grandmother from back in 1948.  My great uncle's family kindly shared it with relatives.  Irreplaceable family artifact.  Hearing about her life from about 1885- 1945 was fascinating to hear.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Bigun on June 03, 2016, 02:24:28 pm ---Excellent list!  I have personal accounts at both Ancestry and Family Search.  I also use Family Tree DNA (it's the best there is) for DNA testing and GEDmatch.com for comparing my dna with that of others.

--- End quote ---
Have used FTDNA and Ancestry's dna tests with great results.  I think FTDNA is more competent in the field, but Ancestry's tools for matches beat FTDNA hands down.  Have you taken the plunge at FTDNA with Big Y yet?  Been a bust here so far.  My drilled down to a finite haplogroup that has about only 3 other members, and none have my surname.  :(

Timber Rattler:
My wife is a professional genealogist, so I'm very pleased to see this post and thread.  I don't have much to add to what has already been said, but it is important to write down the memories and reminisces of your elders before they pass on, or else, that history will be lost forever.  Better yet, sit down with them and do recorded oral histories.  Your families will be very grateful in the future for it.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: ScottinVA on June 03, 2016, 02:21:37 pm ---Thanks for setting up this page. 

In the late 1990s, I got into a genealogy hobby, as I started tracing my Irish family roots.  It's a great (albeit time-consuming) pastime!

--- End quote ---

You are most welcome!  When I saw that someone had suggested doing this I jumped right on it!  One of the main reasons I thought it might be useful here is that there are folks from all over the place on TBR and we may be able to help each other in overcoming roadblocks! 

For instance I need help with a man named Alexander Wren who was born somewhere along the James River in Virginia around the year 1772.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version