General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (86/87) > >>

catfish1957:
For those interested, most gen. dbase services have the 1950 census up, and indexed.

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on June 03, 2016, 02:32:21 pm ---Have used FTDNA and Ancestry's dna tests with great results.  I think FTDNA is more competent in the field, but Ancestry's tools for matches beat FTDNA hands down.  Have you taken the plunge at FTDNA with Big Y yet?  Been a bust here so far.  My drilled down to a finite haplogroup that has about only 3 other members, and none have my surname.  :(

--- End quote ---

Just signed up to upgrade my Y 67 to Big Y today after learning that the man I had listed as my 6th GG grandfather was in the wrong haplogroup and thus could not possibly be the father of my 5th GG grandfather.  Don't expect much immediately but Y DNA research is rapidly expanding databases. @catfish1957

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Bigun on August 30, 2022, 04:04:30 pm ---Just signed up to upgrade my Y 67 to Big Y today after learning that the man I had listed as my 6th GG grandfather was in the wrong haplogroup and thus could not possibly be the father of my 5th GG grandfather.  Don't expect much immediately but Y DNA research is rapidly expanding databases. @catfish1957

--- End quote ---

Same problem here at my 5-GGF level.  Different  Haplogroup in my surname who arrived in VA in about 1700 from Scotland.  OTOH, there are 9 of a match of a different surname.  So there was some form or fashion of a paternal mishap in my paternal line between 1700-1770.  Another Scottish surname instead. 

Bigun:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on August 30, 2022, 04:46:36 pm ---Same problem here at my 5-GGF level.  Different  Haplogroup in my surname who arrived in VA in about 1700 from Scotland.  OTOH, there are 9 of a match of a different surname.  So there was some form or fashion of a paternal mishap in my paternal line between 1700-1770.  Another Scottish surname instead.

--- End quote ---

Human nature being what it is, I'm sure that "woodpile" events didn't just start recently.  I'm sure they are more common than once imagined and DNA is uncovering them.

My wife and I have been married for 54 years. Until about 4 years ago we had no reason to suspect that the man listed on her birth certificate as her father was not her biological father, but it turns out he isn't. The man who IS her biological father is long since departed and never knew she existed. All this revealed because of DNA results.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: Bigun on August 30, 2022, 05:03:07 pm ---Human nature being what it is, I'm sure that "woodpile" events didn't just start recently.  I'm sure they are more common than once imagined and DNA is uncovering them.

My wife and I have been married for 54 years. Until about 4 years ago we had no reason to suspect that the man listed on her birth certificate as her father was not her biological father, but it turns out he isn't. The man who IS her biological father is long since departed and never knew she existed. All this revealed because of DNA results.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version