General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (82/87) > >>

Gefn:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on February 16, 2021, 07:36:36 pm ---I've dug a little deeper on my father's side of the family, all the way back to the early 1100s on the Isle of Man. Looks like I may be descended from Manx royalty, specifically King Óláfr Guðrøðarson! The earliest ancestor for whom I have an actual name was born in 1650, though, the family having settled in Ireland by then, but this is what DNA has revealed. Before arriving on the Isle of Man, the ancestors were in Norway. Vikings!

Of course, my first response is to look at travel websites for info on how to get there and things to do (post-Covid, natch).

--- End quote ---

Vikings kitties rule!

mountaineer:

--- Quote from: Gefn on February 17, 2021, 07:39:35 pm ---Vikings kitties rule!

--- End quote ---
I know. That's the best part of this!  :laugh:

mountaineer:
This was my greatx5-grandfather.

How's your day going?  :laugh:

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on June 28, 2021, 12:41:49 pm ---This was my greatx5-grandfather.

How's your day going?  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

i received an email from Wikitree and it had a link that would show your "Royal Ancestors" . So I ran it and saw that it show Charlemagne Carolingian (abt. 0748 - 0814) was an Ancestor to me. I went over to my Ancestry tree and saw I had him in my tree as my 35th Great Grandfather.  I had never realized that he was a "Pepin".  My mother is a "Pippin(Pepin)".  Its a small world after all.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Elderberry on August 04, 2021, 04:29:01 pm ---i received an email from Wikitree and it had a link that would show your "Royal Ancestors" . So I ran it and saw that it show Charlemagne Carolingian (abt. 0748 - 0814) was an Ancestor to me. I went over to my Ancestry tree and saw I had him in my tree as my 35th Great Grandfather.  I had never realized that he was a "Pepin".  My mother is a "Pippin(Pepin)".  Its a small world after all.

--- End quote ---

@Elderberry

Everybody needs to take a deep breath over this "ancestor" crap. ESPECIALLY once it goes back further than your parents,or maybe grandparents,depending on where they lived and how close their neighbors were.

I don't care WHAT family you came from,SOMEBODY was doing a little "slipping away" at one point or another,and nobody  further back than your living grandparents had even heard rumors about stuff like DNA testing.

Besides,the only thing that is really important that you have any control over is who YOU are as a human being.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version