General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

<< < (81/87) > >>

skeeter:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on September 17, 2020, 02:35:16 pm ---Here's mine, but looking at my son's puts the data in question:

English - Northwestern Europe- 51%
Scotland- 27%
Ireland- 15%
Wales- 7%

However, my son's shows 2% Irish.  That is impossible too, since he has a g-g grandfather who immigrated from Dublin Ireland on my wife's side.

I still think the science behind this side of the field is hokey.

--- End quote ---

I wondered this as well. After looking into it I found that the genes aren't necessarily split 50/50 each generation - your mother might be 100% Irish & your father 100% Spanish yet your genealogical make up might end up showing 10% Irish and 90% Spanish.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: skeeter on October 07, 2020, 01:07:28 pm ---I wondered this as well. After looking into it I found that the genes aren't necessarily split 50/50 each generation - your mother might be 100% Irish & your father 100% Spanish yet your genealogical make up might end up showing 10% Irish and 90% Spanish.

--- End quote ---

Good find, and I do remember some dna forums having siblings report that they (as many as 5) all had different geographical reports.  Even differences is locations reported.

Which in essence, confirms my earlier comment that the specific percentages reported in each geographical area is hokey.  They do report a range, which is probably the number people need to focus on instead.

skeeter:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on October 07, 2020, 01:15:53 pm ---
Good find, and I do remember some dna forums having siblings report that they (as many as 5) all had different geographical reports.  Even differences is locations reported.

Which in essence, confirms my earlier comment that the specific percentages reported in each geographical area is hokey.  They do report a range, which is probably the number people need to focus on instead.

--- End quote ---

I did two different DNA checks - one gave me 1-2% central American and the other 1-2% east asian. I'm as white as a ghost.

Plus I'm still dealing with the .5% troglodyte part.

bigheadfred:

--- Quote from: skeeter on October 07, 2020, 01:23:01 pm ---I did two different DNA checks - one gave me 1-2% central American and the other 1-2% east asian. I'm as white as a ghost.

--- End quote ---

hahaha

Ran out of razors. Dint ya.

mountaineer:
I've dug a little deeper on my father's side of the family, all the way back to the early 1100s on the Isle of Man. Looks like I may be descended from Manx royalty, specifically King Óláfr Guðrøðarson! The earliest ancestor for whom I have an actual name was born in 1650, though, the family having settled in Ireland by then, but this is what DNA has revealed. Before arriving on the Isle of Man, the ancestors were in Norway. Vikings!

Of course, my first response is to look at travel websites for info on how to get there and things to do (post-Covid, natch).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version