Author Topic: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage  (Read 111877 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage
« Reply #400 on: October 07, 2020, 01:07:28 pm »
Here's mine, but looking at my son's puts the data in question:

English - Northwestern Europe- 51%
Scotland- 27%
Ireland- 15%
Wales- 7%

However, my son's shows 2% Irish.  That is impossible too, since he has a g-g grandfather who immigrated from Dublin Ireland on my wife's side.

I still think the science behind this side of the field is hokey.

I wondered this as well. After looking into it I found that the genes aren't necessarily split 50/50 each generation - your mother might be 100% Irish & your father 100% Spanish yet your genealogical make up might end up showing 10% Irish and 90% Spanish.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2020, 01:15:53 pm »
I wondered this as well. After looking into it I found that the genes aren't necessarily split 50/50 each generation - your mother might be 100% Irish & your father 100% Spanish yet your genealogical make up might end up showing 10% Irish and 90% Spanish.

Good find, and I do remember some dna forums having siblings report that they (as many as 5) all had different geographical reports.  Even differences is locations reported.

Which in essence, confirms my earlier comment that the specific percentages reported in each geographical area is hokey.  They do report a range, which is probably the number people need to focus on instead.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2020, 01:23:01 pm »

Good find, and I do remember some dna forums having siblings report that they (as many as 5) all had different geographical reports.  Even differences is locations reported.

Which in essence, confirms my earlier comment that the specific percentages reported in each geographical area is hokey.  They do report a range, which is probably the number people need to focus on instead.

I did two different DNA checks - one gave me 1-2% central American and the other 1-2% east asian. I'm as white as a ghost.

Plus I'm still dealing with the .5% troglodyte part.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #403 on: October 08, 2020, 02:03:01 am »
I did two different DNA checks - one gave me 1-2% central American and the other 1-2% east asian. I'm as white as a ghost.

hahaha

Ran out of razors. Dint ya.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:03:48 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

« Reply #404 on: February 16, 2021, 07:36:36 pm »
I've dug a little deeper on my father's side of the family, all the way back to the early 1100s on the Isle of Man. Looks like I may be descended from Manx royalty, specifically King Óláfr Guðrøðarson! The earliest ancestor for whom I have an actual name was born in 1650, though, the family having settled in Ireland by then, but this is what DNA has revealed. Before arriving on the Isle of Man, the ancestors were in Norway. Vikings!

Of course, my first response is to look at travel websites for info on how to get there and things to do (post-Covid, natch).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #405 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:35 pm »
I've dug a little deeper on my father's side of the family, all the way back to the early 1100s on the Isle of Man. Looks like I may be descended from Manx royalty, specifically King Óláfr Guðrøðarson! The earliest ancestor for whom I have an actual name was born in 1650, though, the family having settled in Ireland by then, but this is what DNA has revealed. Before arriving on the Isle of Man, the ancestors were in Norway. Vikings!

Of course, my first response is to look at travel websites for info on how to get there and things to do (post-Covid, natch).

Vikings kitties rule!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #406 on: February 17, 2021, 07:45:54 pm »
Vikings kitties rule!
I know. That's the best part of this!  :laugh:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #407 on: June 28, 2021, 12:41:49 pm »
This was my greatx5-grandfather.

How's your day going?  :laugh:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #408 on: August 04, 2021, 04:29:01 pm »
This was my greatx5-grandfather.

How's your day going?  :laugh:

i received an email from Wikitree and it had a link that would show your "Royal Ancestors" . So I ran it and saw that it show Charlemagne Carolingian (abt. 0748 - 0814) was an Ancestor to me. I went over to my Ancestry tree and saw I had him in my tree as my 35th Great Grandfather.  I had never realized that he was a "Pepin".  My mother is a "Pippin(Pepin)".  Its a small world after all.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2021, 04:40:37 pm »
i received an email from Wikitree and it had a link that would show your "Royal Ancestors" . So I ran it and saw that it show Charlemagne Carolingian (abt. 0748 - 0814) was an Ancestor to me. I went over to my Ancestry tree and saw I had him in my tree as my 35th Great Grandfather.  I had never realized that he was a "Pepin".  My mother is a "Pippin(Pepin)".  Its a small world after all.

@Elderberry

Everybody needs to take a deep breath over this "ancestor" crap. ESPECIALLY once it goes back further than your parents,or maybe grandparents,depending on where they lived and how close their neighbors were.

I don't care WHAT family you came from,SOMEBODY was doing a little "slipping away" at one point or another,and nobody  further back than your living grandparents had even heard rumors about stuff like DNA testing.

Besides,the only thing that is really important that you have any control over is who YOU are as a human being.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #410 on: August 04, 2021, 04:48:44 pm »
@Elderberry

Everybody needs to take a deep breath over this "ancestor" crap. ESPECIALLY once it goes back further than your parents,or maybe grandparents,depending on where they lived and how close their neighbors were.

I don't care WHAT family you came from,SOMEBODY was doing a little "slipping away" at one point or another,and nobody  further back than your living grandparents had even heard rumors about stuff like DNA testing.

Besides,the only thing that is really important that you have any control over is who YOU are as a human being.

@sneakypete

Fine. I'll try to keep my crap to myself. So please keep yours to yourself. This will be my Last message I send to you. Please Reciprocate and do not send me any more messages.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2021, 05:45:54 pm »
@sneakypete

Fine. I'll try to keep my crap to myself. So please keep yours to yourself. This will be my Last message I send to you. Please Reciprocate and do not send me any more messages.

@Elderberry

Why are you taking this so personally? You know it's true for everyone,not just you.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #412 on: August 04, 2021, 06:31:53 pm »
@Elderberry

Via data and other member triangulation I have common autosomal matches to others with every ancestor I have to the 3rd great grand parent level.  Not that my ancestors were prudes or anything, but.......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2021, 06:43:01 pm »
Via data and other member triangulation I have common autosomal matches to others with every ancestor I have to the 3rd great grand parent level.  Not that my ancestors were prudes or anything, but.......

@catfish1957

VERY few of us know anything about the sex lives of our ancestors,or even want to know.

What we DO know is they were people,just like everybody else,and they had all the desires ,both sexual and others,in life that everyone else has.

Speaking for myself,I have ZERO desire to know ANYTHING about the private lives of my ancestors,although I do know my grandfather was a bootlegger during prohibition that used his sailing ship to bring in rum and other spirits during prohibition. I know this because he was murdered by competitors in his own home while eating supper, and it made the newspapers at the time. Every one of my relatives that I know of try to ignore or deny this but one. I am almost positive their children know nothing about it.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2021, 06:57:08 pm »
@catfish1957

VERY few of us know anything about the sex lives of our ancestors,or even want to know.

What we DO know is they were people,just like everybody else,and they had all the desires ,both sexual and others,in life that everyone else has.

Speaking for myself,I have ZERO desire to know ANYTHING about the private lives of my ancestors,although I do know my grandfather was a bootlegger during prohibition that used his sailing ship to bring in rum and other spirits during prohibition. I know this because he was murdered by competitors in his own home while eating supper, and it made the newspapers at the time. Every one of my relatives that I know of try to ignore or deny this but one. I am almost positive their children know nothing about it.

Same here. My g-grandfathers family in TN made moonshine and hung out with Jesse James apparently.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #415 on: August 04, 2021, 06:57:58 pm »
@catfish1957

Pete...  I have a newspaper.com and genalogybank.com subscription which has a massive amount of scanned newspapers.  If you are interested, I'll look up it up. Just will need his name, location, approx. death dates. It may or may not be there, but its worth a shot. 

As an example, I have a g-g- grandfather who was a physician, who shot and killed a guy in a poker game in eastern Oklahoma in the late 1890's.  Unfortunately, my subscription service and Oklahoma in general were pretty light on newspapers pre-statehood, and hiis deeds aren't documented in a paper.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #416 on: August 04, 2021, 07:08:36 pm »
Same here. My g-grandfathers family in TN made moonshine and hung out with Jesse James apparently.

@Free Vulcan

People are people,and we all do what we have to do to make it in this world.

My grandfather came from a wealthy farming family,and they disowned him for marrying an Indian.

Since he was cut off from the family fortune,he did what he thought was best to provide for his wife and children,and the easy money,and truthfully the ONLY money,to be made in the 30's was illegal money,so he went into the importing business.

I neither blame him for this or am proud of it. He was just doing what we all do,trying to make the best life he could make for his family. Chances are if I were in the same situation,I would do the same,or maybe even worse. Truthfully,I have a hard time thinking of anything I WOULDN'T do if I had a house full of hungry children and no money coming in to support them.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #417 on: August 04, 2021, 07:14:57 pm »
Pete...  I have a newspaper.com and genalogybank.com subscription which has a massive amount of scanned newspapers.  If you are interested, I'll look up it up. Just will need his name, location, approx. death dates. It may or may not be there, but its worth a shot. 

@catfish1957

Thanks,but the local newspaper still has the story with photos in it's archive. It was front page news when it happened.

I also have a photo of my grandmother,who was THE scariest looking woman I have ever seen,as well as a photo of my grandfather,who was as handsome as a young Robert Redford when the photo was taken. My grandmother,being a full-blooded eastern Indian was VERY dark,almost black,and had an expression on her face and in her eyes that would scare paint off a wall.

Like I said,I talked with local women who knew her well back when they were young women,and the one thing that sticks out that they all said was "She was the smartest woman I ever knew."

Nobody had anything to say about her beauty,though. :laugh:

There just ain't no explaining true love.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2021, 07:21:56 pm »
@Free Vulcan

People are people,and we all do what we have to do to make it in this world.

My grandfather came from a wealthy farming family,and they disowned him for marrying an Indian.

Since he was cut off from the family fortune,he did what he thought was best to provide for his wife and children,and the easy money,and truthfully the ONLY money,to be made in the 30's was illegal money,so he went into the importing business.

I neither blame him for this or am proud of it. He was just doing what we all do,trying to make the best life he could make for his family. Chances are if I were in the same situation,I would do the same,or maybe even worse. Truthfully,I have a hard time thinking of anything I WOULDN'T do if I had a house full of hungry children and no money coming in to support them.

@sneakypete

I live on in Iowa on the Mississippi River. Most people don't know this but back in the prohibition days Capone pretty much owned the bootleg trade from Quincy, IL to Dubuque.

Half the wealth acquired in my county is legit. The other half is mafia. In one town many of the nice homes on the rich side of town were bootleg money, and one family took theirs and founded a bank that's still around.

Heck, even my grandpa worked for Capone as a bouncer for awhile. That's just the way it was on the poor side of town back then.
The Republic is lost.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2021, 08:15:04 pm »
@sneakypete

I live on in Iowa on the Mississippi River. Most people don't know this but back in the prohibition days Capone pretty much owned the bootleg trade from Quincy, IL to Dubuque.

Half the wealth acquired in my county is legit. The other half is mafia. In one town many of the nice homes on the rich side of town were bootleg money, and one family took theirs and founded a bank that's still around.

Heck, even my grandpa worked for Capone as a bouncer for awhile. That's just the way it was on the poor side of town back then.

@Free Vulcan

Yup,it is nothing to be proud of OR anything to be ashamed of. The truth is each generation faces different realities and different circumstances,and you either adjust or you don't survive.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2021, 08:33:02 pm »
I have 11 direct ancestors who came here on the Mayflower and some who participated in every major event since. I spend a lot of time lately wondering how I'm going to apologize to them when I see them again.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2021, 08:40:34 pm »
I have 11 direct ancestors who came here on the Mayflower and some who participated in every major event since. I spend a lot of time lately wondering how I'm going to apologize to them when I see them again.

@Bigun

I'm not too worried about that. I figure that IF there is a heaven and a hell,we will all be too busy trying to beat out the flames to worry about anything else.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2021, 09:34:07 pm »
@Elderberry

Why are you taking this so personally? You know it's true for everyone,not just you.
Then why did you "Personally" mention me? Which Emails me. You must really really want me to read what you wrote, since you mentioned me which emails me personally.

So please, please, please, Stop mentioning me. I know of no way to block the emails sent to me when you mention me, except to block all mention emails from this site.

I have no problem  communicating via posts and replies. Just cut out all the mentioning.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2021, 10:31:00 pm »
Then why did you "Personally" mention me? Which Emails me. You must really really want me to read what you wrote, since you mentioned me which emails me personally.

So please, please, please, Stop mentioning me. I know of no way to block the emails sent to me when you mention me, except to block all mention emails from this site.

I have no problem  communicating via posts and replies. Just cut out all the mentioning.

@Elderberry

I am genuinely sorry if I offended you.

That was not my intent,and I honestly still don't understand what you are upset about. But it really doesn't matter if I understand it or not. The only thing important is that I unknowingly offended you.

BTW,how can I reply to any of your posts without using your screen name?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 10:32:11 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2021, 11:06:22 pm »
@Elderberry

I am genuinely sorry if I offended you.

That was not my intent,and I honestly still don't understand what you are upset about. But it really doesn't matter if I understand it or not. The only thing important is that I unknowingly offended you.

BTW,how can I reply to any of your posts without using your screen name?

If its a topic I'm the "OP" of, or a topic that I'm participating in, I read all the posts that people make. You don't have to send me a "Mention" for me to read it.  You are way too hung up on sending people "Mentions". Just post a reply and I'll view it.