General Category > General Discussion

Genealogy - Getting to Know your Heritage

(1/87) > >>

Bigun:
Genealogy - Getting to know your Heritage.

This Thread is posted for  discussion of Genealogy or the study of one's Heritage.

I personally think it to be one of the most important undertakings one can engage in and besides that I LOVE it!

Free accounts available at http://myheritage.com

don-o:
Great! Thanks for starting this.

I am the keeper of my family tree, bequeathed by my mother. She had gotten all the material into Family Tree Maker. When she passed it to me, I had a couple years to ask her many questions. It amazed her (in her early 90's) that she could remember things that she had not thought about in years.

She's gone now and there's answers that only she could give me that will remain questions.

Anyone who has thought about doing this...Do not delay.

catfish1957:
Thanks for setting up the thread.  As I said earlier, In my retirement, I occasionally teach genealogy classes for the local genealogical library.  My class, focuses mostly on making sure students realize that the internet is probably the best and worst things ever to happen to genealogy.  Good, in that we now have the ability to research in weeks what used to take a lifetime, Bad, in that there is so many mistakes on databases, that seem to perpetuate, it is near impossible believe half what are shown on many family trees.

Secondly, I provide what I feel are the best sites on the web for research, and then provide a navigational tour through those sites so the students can get a leg up in researching.  Third, I like to give a good bit of time of ways, means, and suggestions on how to deal with those brick walls that we all have in extending our tree.

I also volunteer at our genealogical library when time permits, helping patrons with research.

So just as a starter, here is the list I provide students.  I hope we can have some good discussions from there.

google
Genweb
Rootsweb
Ancestry
familysearcg.org
Cyndi's List
Heritage Quet
Genforum
Vitalrec.com
Higginson's Books
Find A Grave

Bigun:

--- Quote from: don-o on June 03, 2016, 02:12:31 pm ---Great! Thanks for starting this.

I am the keeper of my family tree, bequeathed by my mother. She had gotten all the material into Family Tree Maker. When she passed it to me, I had a couple years to ask her many questions. It amazed her (in her early 90's) that she could remember things that she had not thought about in years.

She's gone now and there's answers that only she could give me that will remain questions.

Anyone who has thought about doing this...Do not delay.

--- End quote ---

How many times have I figuratively kick myself for not taking the time to write down things I was told or asking questions of the people who knew the answers while they were still around!!!

ScottinVA:
Thanks for setting up this page. 

In the late 1990s, I got into a genealogy hobby, as I started tracing my Irish family roots.  It's a great (albeit time-consuming) pastime!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version